NASCAR weighs plan to stop autographs in garage area

H

Highboy90

By JENNA FRYER, AP Sports Writer

DAYTONA BEACH, Florida - NASCAR is considering a plan to prohibit drivers from signing autographs in the garage area at tracks to reduce fan congestion.

NASCAR chairman Bill France Jr. said Wednesday the possible ban is part of the sanctioning body's ongoing effort to restore order in the garage.

"We need to get the garage area back to where the guys can work on the cars," France said in an interview with The Associated Press. "So if we do this, when a fan asks a driver for an autograph, the driver will be able to say `NASCAR won't let me.'"

A sport that has long prided itself on the level of access that fans have with the teams, NASCAR in recent years has seen an overcrowding that has led to numerous complaints from drivers and crews, as well as injuries among spectators.

Jeff Gordon is swarmed by dozens of fans every time he's in the garage. Dale Earnhardt Jr. has taken to sprinting to his destinations.

Crew members have griped that people surround the cars, making it impossible for them to move around, and fans have been treated for injuries from being run over by heavy tool carts or being knocked down in the crowds surrounding drivers.

Last season, a Tennessee woman charged Winston Cup champion Tony Stewart with assault for allegedly shoving her against a hauler when she tried to get an autograph, but a grand jury declined to indict him.

The Stewart episode forced NASCAR to re-evaluate its near open-door policy on letting fans into the garage, especially after several drivers went to the sanctioning body in support of Stewart saying the current garage access was creating near chaos.

So France said he's proposed only allowing drivers to sign autographs in the area immediately around their hauler and organizing a period once a weekend where all 43 drivers would take turns sitting at a table to sign autographs in 10-minute increments.

Punishment for signing autographs at any other time could be monetary — perhaps a $500 fine — although France said he preferred penalizing offending drivers by sending them to the back of the field at the start of the race.

"Obviously, it would be a judgment call on when a driver would be punished for it, but we've got to do something because these guys can't even walk around anymore," he said.

NASCAR plans to unveil the new rules for garage access later this month, France said.

But its goal is to reduce the total number of individuals in the garage during competition by some 20 percent.

Expected to be introduced this season will be special "hot" passes that will be given to team members, NASCAR officials and media that allow entrance into the garage while cars are on the track in practice, qualifying or the race.

Without the pass, access to the garage won't be granted. The rule is likely to be enforced on pit road during the race, but not during practice and qualifying.

Teams and sponsors will receive an allotted sum of passes each week, ending the near limitless supply they used to have.

This sport is reaching it's limit for being a fan friendly sport. It won't be much longer and it will be on an even par with the stick and ball sports. I know there are those drivers now who just hate to give out those autographs, but because of the custome and past of the sport, it's really been a nessesity. One of these days, some driver, maybe someone like Tony Stewart, will refuse to sign any and it will be the start of something big. When that happens, who knows, but this is only the beginning.

It is a shame it has to come to this, but it is for the safety of the fans too. A designated autograph area would be better for all concerned. For once, I agree with NASCAR on this decision but more from a safety standpoint than gripes from the crew or drivers.

Limiting access to the garage area was inevitable once NASCAR became popular. You can't have a circus going on while people are trying to get cars ready for a race. Not all fans are polite and considerate......those are the ones that caused this. Not NASCAR.

is in the fact NASCAR is taking the blame !! Look at the press release and realize the humor in it. NASCAR will fine the drivers for signing autographs in the garage area at specific times?? The fans will "shoot the messenger" the first time a driver is asked for his autograph and the fan is told, "NASCAR will fine me if I sign an autograph". And to think think NASCAR prides itself on being "fan friendly". Who's kidding who here??

First, the problem is not with the autograph seekers alone. It is with the multitude of people who have no business being in the garage area other than they purchased a "special pass" from the track promoter, or they received garage passes from either the team sponsor, team owner or driver.
For all the complaining being done by drivers, NASCAR and teams, and the halfazzed proceedure by NASCAR to "correct" the problem, they are overlooking the big picture. It isn't the autographs stupid!! It's the number of non-participants in the garage!!!

The garage area has always been a busy place and the number of "fans" was barely tolerable in the eighties, but today, it is really a case of garage overload !!!!

If NASCAR and the drivers and teams are really ready to get serious about the overload of people in the garage area, they will do a situation similar to Pocono. Put a fence in place where fans can see the activity of car preparation and thier favorite drivers yet remain out of danger leaving the garage area to the people with the job at hand. While all this is going on, the drivers could walk over to the fence and sign autographs. This works well at Pocono and could very easily be set up at any of the given tracks since they now all have tunnel access or a overhead walkway to the infield and garage areas.

NASCAR has taken the responsibility from the drivers but has not relieved the crush of unnecessary people in the garage. That is where the true problem lies.

the irony can also be found in Stewart's name being brought up as the person that will start it.

I guess people just skip right over the fact that NASCAR started this rule, not Tony Stewart.

And I highly doubt Stewart is the only one that doesn't like to be hounded by whacko autograph hounds for a few hors before every race.

I say good for NASCAR.

I think they (NASCAR) should limit the fans to a certain area. If the drivers want to give auto's, they can walk to that area and do so. I don't agree with NASCAR give a fine to a driver for giving an auto though. That's a little ridiculous.

I guess this is the result of NASCAR being "fan friendly" for so long. Now the fans expect to sit behind the wheel of thier driver's car before it hits the track.

I applaud NASCAR for doing this. Drivers shouldn't have to run to get places because an angry mob of 100 fans want an autograph this second. These teams actually have jobs to do.

Originally posted by paul
the irony can also be found in Stewart's name being brought up as the person that will start it.
I guess people just skip right over the fact that NASCAR started this rule, not Tony Stewart.
And I highly doubt Stewart is the only one that doesn't like to be hounded by whacko autograph hounds for a few hors before every race.
I say good for NASCAR.

The point is, the autograph seekers are in the multitude of fans invading the garage space when these guys need to get a job done. There are so many people in the garage they are in the way even without asking for an autograph.

If NASCAR were serious, they would reduce passes by at least fifty percent. What they have done is attempted to pacify the drivers but have created a worse condition as the fans will try to "shoot the messenger" every time they ask for an autograph and are refused because "NASCAR will fine me" for a response, thereby creating a new problem. Fans don't want to hear that crap. When the opportunity presents itself, all the fans care about is getting an autograph and no excuses of any kind from the drivers.

This ruling is a fiasco and NASCAR will change it before too long. With the band aid approach NASCAR has taken they are trying to make chicken salad out of chicken poop and it don't taste the same.

Back
Top Bottom