NASCAR's new rule for conduct under caution.

dpkimmel2001

Team Owner
BvFNw6oIgAAl9b6.jpg:large

Does this mean penalties for helmet throwing? Lol
Yeah, probably.

As a substitute for allowing the emotion to be shown, maybe NASCAR can hand the driver his/her smartphone upon their exit of the mandatory infield care center visit? At that point the driver can then be given the option of taking to Twitter to let their frustrations known. The highlights won't be quite as exciting but at least everyone will be safe. o_O

At no time should a driver or crew member(s) approach another moving vehicle.

Does this mean the pit crew has too wait to approach the race car until it is completely stopped?

Reactions: sdj
These new rules almost sound like what they tell you when you do the "Richard Petty Driving Experience."

Which only leads to, "Hey, is it OK to loosen the safety belts now, boss?"

Kinda interesting. What we are told put us on the map to begin with.....

@bobdillner

Interesting - w/new rule, the incident that helped make #NASCAR - '79 #Daytona500 fight w/ B. Allison & Yarborough would be against rules.

This is sort of like making sure you closed the barn door after you got all the horses back.

I don't see it as a huge loss. Pointing fingers and throwing gloves seemed silly, forced, and empty. The post-race interviews (Hamlin dissing Logano at Bristol, Stewart cursing Logano at Fontana), fights (Mears getting thunderstruck), and in-race roughing up of your opponent (Keselowski vs. Kurt at Martinsville) are always more interesting to me.

Pemberton and the Nascar crew are a bunch of genius's coming up with such a complicated rule in such a short time...:sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm:

@RickyCravenESPN

From the view of a person having spent 25 years behind the wheel of a race car. NASCAR Rule 9-16 implemented today is a display of Progress

These new rules almost sound like what they tell you when you do the "Richard Petty Driving Experience."

Which only leads to, "Hey, is it OK to loosen the safety belts now, boss?"
you got it...drive thru penalty for loose belts.

Now all those who said/hoped there would be no rule change/addition can go back under their rocks.

Anyone with common sense, not to mention knowledge of risk management, knew it had to be done.

One very dumb thing about this rule is the belts. Drivers often get their nuts crushed during a wreck. Now they have to sit there in the strangled sack mode until he's told he can loosen them up?

@bobdillner

Interesting - w/new rule, the incident that helped make #NASCAR - '79 #Daytona500 fight w/ B. Allison & Yarborough would be against rules.

Errr, someone needs to remind Dillner that it was against the rules back then, and those drivers were fined.

Getting out on the track defies common sense. But common sense goes out the window when adrenaline is flowing.

Take the fight to behind the wall

@bobdillner

Hmmmmm.

If that fight hadn't happened maybe we wouldn't have any television coverage today.

No TV coverage means no crabbing about TV coverag!!!
Getting out on the track defies common sense. But common sense goes out the window when testosterone is flowing.

Take the fight to behind the wall

:fixed:

I had hoped nascar would have explained to the world the following:

1) nascar doesn't race hard to control Sprint cars.
2) nascar doesn't race on slick dirt tracks.
3) nascar tracks are brightly lit.
4) nascar drivers ALWAYS have spotters viewing the track for them.
5) nascar drivers ALWAYS have functioning radios.

A simple reminder to stay away from the line the cars are running in, no throwing equipment, and no getting out of a wrecked car that is sitting in a turn would have been enough for me. Also let the other drivers know that if they lose positions due to being cautious around a driver walking on the track, they will get their original position back.

Maybe they should require them to take a cool down lap in the ambulance before they enter the infield care center. Maybe at least then they could give the perpetrating driver the no.1 signal and get it off their chest.

Not a fan of the new rule. As others have said, it's common sense. I'm pretty sure most of NASCAR's most famous highlights are the 79 Daytona, Gordon and Burton fight, any helmet toss etc...

Very disappointed that they caved in. Once ESPN decides they don't agree with something, they will make noise until it goes their way...

Not a fan of the new rule. As others have said, it's common sense. I'm pretty sure most of NASCAR's most famous highlights are the 79 Daytona, Gordon and Burton fight, any helmet toss etc...
Hardly

Many tracks have lanes drawn out like they do on the highway, so why not enforce that too during a caution?

That ways you know exactly were said driver should be at all times and could safely proceed with useful activites like displaying the fanger in their face etc..
You could even safely flash Danica

I think they got it right for the most part. Sometimes the in-car footage will show drivers unbuckling before the rest of the field has passed their accident scene, and that always makes me cringe when I see it. Personally, incidents like this one have made me think for a long time that drivers should stay buckled until they know the accident scene is safe and clear:

I don't like it either. Not only is their a loss of emotion, but I'm sure the drivers won't like sitting in their car after they crashed. If I hit the wall at 170mph and have gas and oil leaking all around me, I would get out ASAP.

I don't like it either. Not only is their a loss of emotion, but I'm sure the drivers won't like sitting in their car after they crashed. If I hit the wall at 170mph and have gas and oil leaking all around me, I would get out ASAP.
Seriously, let common sense prevail. They will get out and there will be no penalty if the driver gets out of the car because they are in danger.

Back
Top Bottom