NASCAR's France taking racing in a new direction

From the article:
"France has evolved away from his elders' authoritarian leadership practices.

"My style is to be collaborative, progressive, to look at things that seem a little bit impossible," he said. "I'm open to do those things."

I would like to suggest the reason he is open to ideas is because he doesn't have a clue of his own.

"My style is to be collaborative, progressive, to look at things that seem a little bit impossible," he said. "I'm open to do those things."

Thinkin' it depends on who suggests those things.

And, fine the drivers/crew if they criticise it.

New direction

Future-Pub-down-graph.jpg

"People always ask me, 'What's Brian like?,'" Sperber said. "I think the guy is brilliant. I don't know that he always gets as much credit as he deserves for his innovative thinking.

I fell out of my chair laughing.

Interesting that he says this below yet at the same time that is the same core base that NASCAR continues to alienate

"France, in an exclusive interview with azcentral sports, said he saw a business connection with a segment of Trump voters.

"People don't buy tickets to a race to hear my political views," he said. "But I do think that the middle class, the factory worker, has lost ground in recent years with job layoffs and exporting jobs. That's our core fan."

Interesting that he says this below yet at the same time that is the same core base that NASCAR continues to alienate

"France, in an exclusive interview with azcentral sports, said he saw a business connection with a segment of Trump voters.

"People don't buy tickets to a race to hear my political views," he said. "But I do think that the middle class, the factory worker, has lost ground in recent years with job layoffs and exporting jobs. That's our core fan."
Because like politicians, corporations have Brian by the balls.

Any reactions to the comments from Rick Hendrick and Roger Penske? Their opinions are pretty highly respected.

Any reactions to the comments from Rick Hendrick and Roger Penske? Their opinions are pretty highly respected.

It's very understandable that Rick Hendrick as a major team owner appreciates having more input, and he and his organization should have input. As for Penske's comments that France is a disruptor, that's true. That should be a neutral descriptor. That trait is not necessarily positive or negative. There are disruptive business leaders who take businesses to unimagined heights, and others who destroy businesses. Penske's and Hendrick's quotes, and the underlying tone of the article, could even be interpreted as a revisionist criticism of the Bills. I'm open to that, if it were fleshed out. Though I'm sure that if Bill Jr. were the subject, Penske would find positive things to say about him. I don't personally take those comments that seriously, because I'm nearly positive that if Brian stepped down tomorrow and someone else was appointed, they would laud and welcome the opportunity for a fresh start.

This is a cushy, soft-focus piece. As I read it, I half expected Barbara Walters to pop up on the screen at some point and tell us that Brian France is one of the ten most fascinating sports executives. That list of accomplishments during his tenure contains some events that he is clearly largely responsible for (Chase format changes), and others that are just things that happened. Sprint declined to continue as series sponsor. There was going to be a new one in some form. Every piece of reporting and indicator suggests that the search was a struggle and that Monster paid an unexpectedly low amount. Maybe Monster will work out splendidly, but it's way too early to draw any conclusion. This is to be listed as an example of Brian France's bold leadership? Or his collaboration? I'm not sure which.

Last edited:
I find NASCAR as enjoyable as ever.

NASCAR is my enjoyable pastime.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yep! It's the core fans who are leaving the seats for a variety of reasons, but mainly I feel that the tradition of the sport has been lost. All the added gimmicks of the past 10 years has turned off the core crowd, not all of them, but a majority as is evidenced by the drop in attendance and tv viewers.

Back
Top Bottom