National Guard to the 99

H

Happy29

The National Guard sponsorship program, currently with the Sam Belnavis/Travis Carter #54 team, appears likely to be headed for the Roush Racing #99, with driver Jeff Burton, next year. Where that leaves BelCar is not yet known. The National Guard, like other service branches advertising among younger males given the current international situation, would be one of several sponsors on the 99 car. Neither side would confirm the transaction, with Carter saying only that Belnavis had a Nov. 22 deadline for a decision, and Burton noting that the team, currently with CITGO, likely would have several sponsors next year -- a growing trend in top-dollar NASCAR team finance. The National Guard sponsorship is reported to be about $6m [I hear 4m] -- hardly enough to support a major team in Cup. However, coupled with associates, the offer could be the missing link to the $15m to $20m required to run a top-level operation. "We feel really good about where we are," Burton said. "We don't have anything to announce, anything to talk about publicly. We feel like we'll have a great company -- companies -- to represent, a lot of fun stuff coming up. We'll talk about all those companies when we can." Carter said the his team has a couple of coals burning for next year, including the previously-announced deal with British Torquespeed, but nothing he was ready to speak about

Roush Officials Deny Guard Reports (from Speed Channel Site)

Roush Racing President Geoff Smith Sunday morning denied firmly that the National Guard sponsorship would be part of the No. 99 team's package next season.

"I can say unequivocally that the National Guard will not be sponsoring the Jeff Burton No. 99 car," Smith said, shooting down reports that the Guard would migrate from BelCar's No. 54 to Roush's 99 next season.

Burton confirmed Saturday that sponsorship is in place for 2004 but gave no details. Current sponsor CITGO announced early this year that it would not return in 2004.

Originally posted by Gollum@Nov 10 2003, 10:38 PM
I was wandering what would happen to Bodine and the 54.
He will get some POS sponsor that'll give them $9 mill a year and have another crappy season.

Back
Top Bottom