Nationwide or Cup on dirt

BenzTech99

Team Owner
Well I cant believe this place made it to 9:45 am EST without someone creating this thread...

Last night proved that the inaugural Mud Summer Classic at Eldora was not a fluke. I hope NASCAR is paying attention and considering running all 3 top series on dirt.

Thoughts?

Sadly, it's never going to happen. Fortune 500 companies don't want to see their logos running around in the dirt.

Sadly, it's never going to happen. Fortune 500 companies don't want to see their logos running around in the dirt.

Yea, I can't imagine that this age of corporate NASCAR that they would ever do this, even though it would be one of the best things they could do to regain a bunch of fans. They seem to want to continue to push aside their traditional blue collar fanbase, which makes absolutely no sense to me.

I posted this in the Eldora thread...

• Stewart would like to have Nationwide and Sprint Cup races at Eldora: While he's not planning for it, Tony Stewart would love for the addition of more NASCAR Racing at Eldora Speedway. Stewart, along with track general manager Roger Slack, talked about the possibilty during a press conference for the unveiling of the new infield building that will be added for the 2015 season. "I'd love for the Truck Series to not be the only NASCAR that comes here," Stewart said. "If this continues to go as well as we hope it does there's no reason that the other two divisions couldn't come possibly in the future. I think we can make it work. If you can take the trucks and make them work here, the Cup cars and Nationwide cars aren't much of a stretch from that. So it's definitely feasible to do that." The new building, which will begin to be constructed in October, will house the media center that will also double as an infield hospitality suite. The building will also be the site of the infield care center along with a concession stand with double lines. Stewart said the decision to build in the infield building had no bearing on the possibilty of getting a Nationwide of Cup Series race in the future. "This is part of the continued process of us making the commitment of improving the facility to making it bigger and better," he said. "But we are very appreciative and very content if we only run truck races from here on out. We get the privilege to keep hosting Truck races and we are very happy doing that."(Motor Racing Network)(7-24-2014)

Once was a time when they did run on dirt. I went to a race when I was a child that they ran on dirt. But that was a different error before the fancy car haulers when they drove pick-up trucks pulling an open trailer. I have seen a couple of dirt races since that Nascar drivers have participated in. Pretty exciting. Since many of them cut their roots on dirt, I think they actually enjoyed running on dirt. But unfortunately most dirt tracks don't have the same packed racing surface as Eldora so after about 30 laps you probably wouldn't be able to tell who was leading.

If the cup cars get to one day race on dirt, there is no excuse to not racing in the rain on certain tracks.

Most dirt tracks don't have garage facilities, adequate parking for team haulers or a pit road that is set up for 43 war wagons.

Unfortunately I believe you are right about the Fortune 500 crowd.

It is vicious cycle. Good racing like last night is desperately needed. These are the ones that make the passion. In tacky speak these are the ones that give folks the racing fever. When done right it is the best kind of infectious.
But it takes time and the bucket fillings needs to happen more.
And the best seed planting happens in the heart, minds, and souls of our children.
This is the stuff that made me dream of being a race car driver, and I believe the youngsters today would respond just as well to the real grit like last night.

But a person reading a quartly report will never have the patience for that kind of investment, in spite of being for the long term best.

It's very simple. If NASCAR wants to save itself from an obvious worldwide decline in motorsports, they need to make dirt racing a regular part of their season schedule. There was nothing this season more intriguing or exciting than what we saw last night. My girlfriend (first year observer) who's gone to two Cup races this year was FINALLY riveted the last ten laps of the Eldora race.

If you want casual fans, you'd have them. It's not rocket science. That was real life Days of Thunder being played out last night. That's what we need. Not aero pushes at intermediate snoreways.

I think they will when they look at the ratings and social media impact last night. Keep in mind this is only year two. All you need is a few big drivers and or big sponsors and the rest will follow suit.

We need racing in rain and one race in cup on dirt

LOVE to see Danica on dirt

I had a family vacation so I missed the race caught segments in replay...

Larson made that show. he did a 360 and kept on racing!!! Come on brain have a heart give the fans this!

Last edited:
We need racing in rain and one race in cup on dirt

LOVE to see Danica on dirt

She was on dirt in a dirt late model the final year of The Prelude. She was jusy so-so. But those cars are so much different than anything she's ever raced in.

She was on dirt in a dirt late model the final year of The Prelude. She was jusy so-so. But those cars are so much different than anything she's ever raced in.

Thanks for reminding me!

I kinda hope it stays exclusive to the Truck series. Seeing the Silverados and Tundras slide around in the dirt is pretty cool. Fusions and Camrys not so much.

I kinda hope it stays exclusive to the Truck series. Seeing the Silverados and Tundras slide around in the dirt is pretty cool. Fusions and Camrys not so much.

maybe all the cup drivers could get into trucks

I agree, just keep the trucks on the dirt. The Nationwide series would probably just find some way to make the race boring, and the cup series, I can't see that happening. I know there was some talk about taking the trucks to Knoxville, that would be incredible.

I don't think 43 cars will fit on a dirt track. Hmm... a 1.5 mile dirt track.

Leave the dirt to the regional tracks. The last time I saw stock bodied dirt track cars, the car brands were hardly recognizable with all the dents and large wheel openings.

Think of the spectacle though...all those big names on dirt where alot of them cut their teeth....whichever network had it could hype it to the max...

I just wonder how much more Tony spends to maintain a dirt track compared to a paved track the same size. Takes a lot of track prep for a dirt track, especially when you get it to the consistency he seems to get Eldora.

I don't think 43 cars will fit on a dirt track. Hmm... a 1.5 mile dirt track.

Leave the dirt to the regional tracks. The last time I saw stock bodied dirt track cars, the car brands were hardly recognizable with all the dents and large wheel openings.
ARCA pulls it off twice a year. They don't need 43 cars. That's what the heats and B-Main are for.

ARCA pulls it off twice a year. They don't need 43 cars. That's what the heats and B-Main are for.
I didn't know ARCA ran dirt. I'd like to see NASCAR do a race with heats - a twist on the qualifying procedure. They should try it at short track. A salute to the roots of racing.

Local tracks have the funding for constructing NASCAR-style garages and pit roads? What about seating areas and bathroom facilities for the increased crowds? Adequate parking for a Cup sized event?

Who needs restrooms with all that dirt to work with?

She was on dirt in a dirt late model the final year of The Prelude. She was just so-so. But those cars are so much different than anything she's ever raced in.

I am thoroughly amazed at the decency of this board when somebody posts "I'd like to see Danica on dirt" and the discussion actually continues in a decent and moral fashion. Lots of this is due to TRL's diligence.

...anyway..as far as bathrooms at dirt tracks, I have analyzed this before. 80% of the bathroom thing at the races are about urinating after multiple beer intake. 60+% of these needed urinations are by guys. So, you need something like a hog trough that the guys can crowd into (we don't care..we just shoulder in and fire away). If it comes down to all porta-potties they should be labeled (big signs and distance in between. "Men's-no-****tin" (50%)...Women's-no-****tin (25%)...Men's ****tin (10%)...Womens ****ting or other things (15%).

That actually gives the ladies 40% of the bathroom/porta-potty facilities...which I think is fair. Having a distance in-between (types) would prevent crossover.

This formula can be modified as trends are learned. Bottom line is - men who are just p!ssing are the largest majority of the bathroom users - and they go fast if not held up by sh!tters.

Last edited:
Well I cant believe this place made it to 9:45 am EST without someone creating this thread...

Last night proved that the inaugural Mud Summer Classic at Eldora was not a fluke. I hope NASCAR is paying attention and considering running all 3 top series on dirt.

Thoughts?

No.

I am thoroughly amazed at the decency of this board when somebody posts "I'd like to see Danica on dirt" and the discussion actually continues in a decent and moral fashion. Lots of this is due to TRL's diligence.

TRL's diligence? Lolwut? Nothing against her but I seriously doubt she is why nobody ran on about Danica on dirt. Mainly bc most of the board members here could care less about her racing, nobody pays attention to a 25th place driver. Plus there is already a Danica thread to rant about her. Anything to be said about her already has been.

Heres a towel for that **** on your nose :nyanya:

Every time I go to this truck race @ Eldora I am all for Nationwide and Cup doing the same thing. After thinking about it longer I'm glad that it is just a truck thing setting them aside from the other series in some fashion.

I used to think about the same thing with running under lights. That was once kinda special. Not so much any more.

@jeff_gluck

Jimmie Johnson on if Cup ran Eldora: "With my background, I'm going to lobby for a few jumps. We need to add a few jumps to make things exciting."

@jeff_gluck

Jimmie Johnson on if Cup ran Eldora: "With my background, I'm going to lobby for a few jumps. We need to add a few jumps to make things exciting."

They could race these!

upload_2014-7-25_12-17-14.jpeg

Build a mile in a half dirt track and make it similar to Charlotte.:XXROFL:

Everyone will be happy and France will eat it up like a fat kid loves cake.

I watched and thought ,man, they are slow. The Highlight of the race was watching Kyle Larson, he made the show worth watching, other than that pretty blah event. They need to get different tires so they can get a grip.

I think one a year is plenty unless they allow mods to increase speed.

Build a mile in a half dirt track and make it similar to Charlotte.:XXROFL:

Everyone will be happy and France will eat it up like a fat kid loves cake.
matilda4.jpg

Local tracks have the funding for constructing NASCAR-style garages and pit roads? What about seating areas and bathroom facilities for the increased crowds? Adequate parking for a Cup sized event?

Not yet but with all the publicity its getting and all that new TV money nascar is getting if theres a will theres a way. As long as there is the space (im sure there is plenty in rossberg ohio) it can be done.

How come all of us that were at the Eldora truck race are still excited about one of the very best races of the year. And none of the bitchers and moaners were there. Go figure. Next year all you pissers and moaners go to the race and get back to us.

Back
Top Bottom