NBC lady's golf? seriously?

hidesert cowboy

Team Owner
I was going to set my DVR this morning and I figured well its the brickyard it should be on the main NBC channel. Nope, I had to switch to NBCSN. I can't believe the second biggest race of the can't even make the main broadcast channel over lady's golf.

I was going to set my DVR this morning and I figured well its the brickyard it should be on the main NBC channel. Nope, I had to switch to NBCSN. I can't believe the second biggest race of the can't even make the main broadcast channel over lady's golf.
It is pitiful. They didn't even have the Brickyard on my local FM station. I woke up expecting for the race to be on, and it wasn't so I waited an hour and the same country music was on. Turned out that it was on some AM station.

I couldn't find it on any FM station yesterday. And this was in southern Virginia, not in NY. Used to be I could pick it up on at least 2 stations. Don't get me started on it being on NBCSN.

If you saw how empty the stands were at Indy the idea of this being the second biggest race is a failure. The people didn't come to the race and it could be that NBC might have had a contract that says the womens golf would be on NBC so they put it over on SN.

I couldn't find it on any FM station yesterday. And this was in southern Virginia, not in NY. Used to be I could pick it up on at least 2 stations. Don't get me started on it being on NBCSN.
Yeah, it was on 1140 RVA on AM for me.

Wasn't yesterday's race a PRN race? If so, here's a list of their PRN affiliates.....

VA Charlottesville WKAV-AM 1400 Charlottesville NT/Sports
VA Covington WKEY-TR 103.5 Roanoke-Lynchburg, VA Country
VA Covington WKEY-AM 1340 Roanoke-Lynchburg, VA Country
VA Crewe WSVS-AM 800 Richmond Country
VA Danville WAKG-FM 103.3 Roanoke/Lynchburg Country
VA Franklin WLQM-FM 101.7 Norfolk/Va. Beach Country
VA Fredericksburg WFLS-FM 93.3 Washington, DC Country
VA Galax WBRF-FM 98.1 Greensboro Country
VA Harrisonburg WKCY-FM 104.3 Harrisonburg Country
VA Lynchburg WBRG-TR 104.5 Lynchburg News/Talk
VA Lynchburg WBRG-AM 1050 Lynchburg News/Talk
VA Marion WMEV-FM 93.9 Johnson City/Kingsport/Bristol Country
VA Norfolk WTAR-AM 850 Norfolk-VA Beach News/Talk
VA Pennington Gap WSWV-FM 105.5 Tri-Cities, TN Country
VA Pound WDXC-FM 102.3 Tri-Cities, TN country
VA Radford WPSK-FM 107.1 Roanoke Country
VA Radford WPSK-TR 103.5 Roanoke Country
VA Richmond WRVA-AM 1140 Richmond NT/Sports
VA Stanleytown WZBB-FM 99.9 Roanoke-Lynchburg Country
VA Warsaw WNNT-FM 107.5 Richmond Country
VA Winchester WUSQ-FM 102.5 Washington, D.C. Country

Also, both MRN & PRN have a free app that allows you to listen to each of the races.

The race was NBCSN last year too, so not sure why this is a revelation. I agree that it is probably done to give NBCSN a 'marquee' event while still allowing the empty stands and terrible racing to be hidden from casual fans.

Wasn't yesterday's race a PRN race? If so, here's a list of their PRN affiliates.....

VA Charlottesville WKAV-AM 1400 Charlottesville NT/Sports
VA Covington WKEY-TR 103.5 Roanoke-Lynchburg, VA Country
VA Covington WKEY-AM 1340 Roanoke-Lynchburg, VA Country
VA Crewe WSVS-AM 800 Richmond Country
VA Danville WAKG-FM 103.3 Roanoke/Lynchburg Country
VA Franklin WLQM-FM 101.7 Norfolk/Va. Beach Country
VA Fredericksburg WFLS-FM 93.3 Washington, DC Country
VA Galax WBRF-FM 98.1 Greensboro Country
VA Harrisonburg WKCY-FM 104.3 Harrisonburg Country
VA Lynchburg WBRG-TR 104.5 Lynchburg News/Talk
VA Lynchburg WBRG-AM 1050 Lynchburg News/Talk
VA Marion WMEV-FM 93.9 Johnson City/Kingsport/Bristol Country
VA Norfolk WTAR-AM 850 Norfolk-VA Beach News/Talk
VA Pennington Gap WSWV-FM 105.5 Tri-Cities, TN Country
VA Pound WDXC-FM 102.3 Tri-Cities, TN country
VA Radford WPSK-FM 107.1 Roanoke Country
VA Radford WPSK-TR 103.5 Roanoke Country
VA Richmond WRVA-AM 1140 Richmond NT/Sports
VA Stanleytown WZBB-FM 99.9 Roanoke-Lynchburg Country
VA Warsaw WNNT-FM 107.5 Richmond Country
VA Winchester WUSQ-FM 102.5 Washington, D.C. Country

Also, both MRN & PRN have a free app that allows you to listen to each of the races.

I looked at that list, and the only one I can pick up (barely) is Crewe. And an hour into the race, they were not playing it. They usually play it on their FM station too, but it wasn't on. 1140 in Richmond was also not broadcasting it. I checked them both around 4:00, as Jayski had it starting at 3:00...... Wait...maybe I didn't figure in the different time zone? I guess I should check into the app, though.

Anyway, the thing is, we used to have at least 2 stations within 20 miles of us broadcasting races, and now we are lucky if we can pick up one on AM somewhere. I used to dial through the stations, riding down the road, and as one faded out, I'd pick up another one. I knew I was on the right one by the advertisements they were playing.

Not sure about cable but the major dish providers, DirecTV & Dish Network both offer NBCSN.

Only in the higher tier packages. And I don't think the "quality" of this weekends races would do anything to persuade anyone to upgrade.

Only in the higher tier packages. And I don't think the "quality" of this weekends races would do anything to persuade anyone to upgrade.
I was only responding to your statement that they don't provide the channel. They do. Sure, @ a higher tier package. That's how they all do business.

Soon, I'm dropping my package down to one of the lower levels for Dish Network. I think I'll be losing NBCSN, FS1 & FS2. Not too big a deal. I'll still watch all the races on the radio. Most are more fun that way anyhow and it allows for me to get more done rather than sit in front of a TV on my weekends.

Something to note: NBC is owned by Comcast ... a cable company.

EDIT to add: If all races were available for free with an antenna, there would be less incentive for people to pay for cable.

Last edited:
MRN's stream was dead when I went there yesterday. I could have missed it, doing other things, but I have no specific recollection of hearing PRN said in the stream I did bring up from WRVA. WTAR's stream (local) usually gives me problems, I don't use it.

WRVA's been carrying MRN, PRN for years. Their stream works. I picked 'em up on the air frequently when I was traveling the dear ole commonwealth. Still have it programmed in the station wagon's stereo.

I personally don't see the attraction golf has, or tennis for that matter too.

I personally don't see the attraction golf has, or tennis for that matter too.
And plenty of golf and tennis fans don't see the attraction of motorsports. At least people can play golf and tennis without sinking a small fortune into hardware, and there are plenty more places to play any time they want than for an amateur to race only on a Saturday night.

Me, I don't care for much beyond NASCAR, NFL, and PGA. Everybody likes something different.

I was only responding to your statement that they don't provide the channel. They do. Sure, @ a higher tier package. That's how they all do business.

Soon, I'm dropping my package down to one of the lower levels for Dish Network. I think I'll be losing NBCSN, FS1 & FS2. Not too big a deal. I'll still watch all the races on the radio. Most are more fun that way anyhow and it allows for me to get more done rather than sit in front of a TV on my weekends.

Wasn't my statement. I was responding to both you guys.

Something that really bugs me about this tv deal is the fact that races get banished to these 2nd and 3rd tier channels. It's a catch 22: You won't draw new fans because people have no incentive to upgrade to get those channels unless they're already a fan.

The NFL broadcasts are done right; no matter what, during the season if you sit down to watch tv on Sunday afternoon you will easily find football on CBS and Fox, and Sunday night it will be on NBC. Yes, you can upgrade to a higher package that will allow you to watch whatever game you want, but basic "football" is always easy to find and available to all.

... The NFL broadcasts are done right; no matter what, during the season if you sit down to watch tv on Sunday afternoon you will easily find football on CBS and Fox, and Sunday night it will be on NBC. Yes, you can upgrade to a higher package that will allow you to watch whatever game you want, but basic "football" is always easy to find and available to all.
Invalid comparison. The NFL is the 800-pound gorilla of US sports. The league can do whatever it wants and the networks will wag their tails, roll over, and show their bellies.

Wasn't my statement. I was responding to both you guys.

Something that really bugs me about this tv deal is the fact that races get banished to these 2nd and 3rd tier channels. It's a catch 22: You won't draw new fans because people have no incentive to upgrade to get those channels unless they're already a fan.

The NFL broadcasts are done right; no matter what, during the season if you sit down to watch tv on Sunday afternoon you will easily find football on CBS and Fox, and Sunday night it will be on NBC. Yes, you can upgrade to a higher package that will allow you to watch whatever game you want, but basic "football" is always easy to find and available to all.
The bad thing about the NFL on TV though is that unless you live in your team's market or your team is really good, you probably won't be able to see them most weeks unless you have Sunday Ticket or go to a bar that has it. The NFL has up to 16 games every week but only 6 are televised: the Thursday Night game, the 3 Sunday day games, the Sunday Night game, and the Monday Night game. At least with NASCAR, as long as you have the network carrying the race, you'll be able to see your driver compete every week.

I have had a really hard time finding races on the radio in the Philly area, one race this year the station was playing the wnba...and we don't have a team

The bad thing about the NFL on TV though is that unless you live in your team's market or your team is really good, you probably won't be able to see them most weeks unless you have Sunday Ticket or go to a bar that has it. The NFL has up to 16 games every week but only 6 are televised: the Thursday Night game, the 3 Sunday day games, the Sunday Night game, and the Monday Night game. At least with NASCAR, as long as you have the network carrying the race, you'll be able to see your driver compete every week.

Yep. This has always pissed me off about the NFL. I can watch pretty much any college football game I want, but can't watch more than a few NFL games unless I go to a bar or get DirecTV and pay more for the Sunday Ticket. Lame.

Yep. This has always pissed me off about the NFL. I can watch pretty much any college football game I want, but can't watch more than a few NFL games unless I go to a bar or get DirecTV and pay more for the Sunday Ticket. Lame.
You can watch any college football game you want? Mind if I ask how? For example, I don't see how you can get a PAC-10 game if you're in the southeastern US's SEC and ACC television markets.

You can watch any college football game you want? Mind if I ask how? For example, I don't see how you can get a PAC-10 game if you're in the southeastern US's SEC and ACC television markets.

The sports package I have with my cable provider (extra 10 bucks a month) has all the conference channels and several alternates. Anything I can't find on those channels is usually available on the WatchESPN app, which is free with a cable subscription.

I saw complains all day about how NBCSN costs $40 extra on a $120 cable package.

I get it as part of Playstation Vue's $30/month plan.

NASCAR races have always been on cable. Fans complain about anything.
Playstation Vue sounds awesome. I just checked out their website. Their lowest plan is $40, though. Not $30. It's still a really good deal for some decent channels including ESPN, ESPN2, NBCSN, FS1 and FS2. A comparable package on cable/satellite costs 2-3 times as much. Does it have DVR and can you skip commercials?

The sports package I have with my cable provider (extra 10 bucks a month) has all the conference channels and several alternates. Anything I can't find on those channels is usually available on the WatchESPN app, which is free with a cable subscription.
I apologize if I'm reading you wrong, but it sounds like you're willing to pay for the conference channels to get all the college games, but not for Sunday Ticket to get all the NFL games? Is it a matter of the price difference? Do you see why your earlier comment confuses me?
You mention that you can't watch the NFL games without Sunday ticket, but failed to mention you're already paying for college conferences.

Back
Top Bottom