New Hampshire - Sylvania 300 - Pre Race Thread

Bud light coupons???

You're new to racing, aren't you? ;)

Okay, I'll rephrase the question. :p

In regards to The Chase, what does Brad gain from another win? I'm trying to wrap my head around this ass backwards system that basically creates an incentive to quit racing in the last two races of each round. It reminds me of The All-Star Race a few years back where the final segment lineup was determined by who won the first four segments. As soon as Jimmie won segment one, he and Chad just laid back. It seems like the winner of the first Chase race of each round gets two free test sessions where they can try stuff out for the next round.

Okay, I'll rephrase the question. :p

In regards to The Chase, what does Brad gain from another win? I'm trying to wrap my head around this ass backwards system that basically creates an incentive to quit racing in the last two races of each round. It reminds me of The All-Star Race a few years back where the final segment lineup was determined by who won the first four segments. As soon as Jimmie won segment one, he and Chad just laid back. It seems like the winner of the first Chase race of each round gets two free test sessions where they can try stuff out for the next round.

Does it seem like Brad has quit racing? Drivers love wins. Now the #2 can go all out for the next win and not worry about points. You can't compare this to the segmented all star race, where the 48 was saving his car for the end of the race.

If he wins again, it may keep the guy who finishes 2nd from making the next round if they fall out of the top 12.

Does it seem like Brad has quit racing? Drivers love wins. Now the #2 can go all out for the next win and not worry about points. You can't compare this to the segmented all star race, where the 48 was saving his car for the end of the race.

If he wins again, it may keep the guy who finishes 2nd from making the next round if they fall out of the top 12.

I didn't say Brad did. I feel like there's a misunderstanding here.

What's to stop a hypothetical first race in a round winner from using the next two races to improve the car, try some experimental stuff and what have you so they can be stronger in the next (and ultimately more important) round? If something blows up then they lose nothing, if it works then they get a win.

I was also asking if drivers gained bonus points for wins when Chase points reset. It looks like they don't.

Nah, I read that if Brad wins, and say Gordon finishes in the top 3 or so he'll have 45+ points on the 12th driver thus advancing.

Thinking it was Jayski I read that on. A few guys can lock themselves this weekend.

if Brad can keep winning it could knock out say
What does Kes gain from another win?
it could keep say Jimmie from winning maybe and getting knocked out by not having enough points and needing a win to get in.

And so it was..

New Hampshire Clinch Scenarios: Though unlikely, drivers can mathematically clinch a spot in The Contenders Round without a win this weekend. If a Chase driver other than #2-Brad Keselowski wins, anyone who has at least a 45-point lead on the 10th highest winless Chase driver would advance to the next round. If a non-Chase driver or Keselowski wins, the potential clinching driver needs to lead the 11th highest winless Chase driver by at least 45 pts. Conversely, for a driver to be in a must-win situation at Dover, they would have to be 45 points or more behind the 9th ranked winless driver if there's a Chase winner that's not Keselowski; or 45 points or more behind the 10th ranked driver if there's a non-Chase winner or Keselowski.(NASCAR)(9-19-2014)

Nah, I read that if Brad wins, and say Gordon finishes in the top 3 or so he'll have 45+ points on the 12th driver thus advancing.

Thinking it was Jayski I read that on. A few guys can lock themselves this weekend.

:confused: Ok.....

Why are you talking about Gordon?

The question was, why race the next 2 races when you win the first race in any round. Here's a scenario I think will start developing in the next round, but possibly in this round.

There are dominant drivers at Homestead, where the champion is decided. Lets say Hamlin, who is very good at Homestead, wrecks this week and falls out of the top 12. Knocking him out of the chase by denying him a win at Dover would be a good reason to race hard.

The question was, why race the next 2 races when you win the first race in any round. Here's a scenario I think will start developing in the next round, but possibly in this round.

There are dominant drivers at Homestead, where the champion is decided. Lets say Hamlin, who is very good at Homestead, wrecks this week and falls out of the top 12. Knocking him out of the chase by denying him a win at Dover would be a good reason to race hard.

Doesn't Hamlin suck at Dover? You dont have to worry about that. lol

Guy is notoriously bad there.

right on, plus you don't want to never not try to win if you're a true racer, now if Joey is running 2nd he might ease up and let him ease by for a win to advance, but that would be the only one.

Doesn't Hamlin suck at Dover? You dont have to worry about that. lol

Guy is notoriously bad there.

If any team is going to play chess with this format, it's the #2 team. Paul would pull some crazy assed pit strategy to try and deny a win and in opportunity to the guys who are real good at Homestead. I expect this kind of thing to become a big story line in these segments when a chaser DOES knock a contender out of contention.

Wins are hard to come by in this sport, as fast as Brad has been lately, he wants to get as many trophies as possible. Obviously the championship is the big goal, but wins are second

I didn't say Brad did. I feel like there's a misunderstanding here.

What's to stop a hypothetical first race in a round winner from using the next two races to improve the car, try some experimental stuff and what have you so they can be stronger in the next (and ultimately more important) round? If something blows up then they lose nothing, if it works then they get a win.

I was also asking if drivers gained bonus points for wins when Chase points reset. It looks like they don't.

There's nothing to stop him from doing that and I'd imagine that teams locked into the Chase had been somewhat doing it all season.

However, the mental edge that he can gain from dominating the competition is worth much more, IMO.

Kenseth had it last year, won the first two Chase races and then flushed it all down the crapper at Phoenix, while Johnson was waiting to take advantage.

Bx8pTqxCEAAefw0.jpg:large

SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 20:

ON TRACK
-- 9-9:50 a.m.: NASCAR Sprint Cup Series practice, FOX Sports 1 (Get results)
-- 10:10 a.m.: NASCAR Camping World Truck Series Keystone Light Pole Qualifying, FOX Sports 1 (Follow live)
-- 11:30 a.m-12:20 p.m.: NASCAR Sprint Cup Series final practice, FOX Sports 1 (Follow live)
-- 1 p.m.: NASCAR Camping World Truck Series UNOH 175 (175 laps, 185.15 miles), FOX Sports 1 (Follow live)
-- 4:10 p.m.: NASCAR Nationwide Series Coors Light Pole Qualifying (Follow live)
-- 7:30 p.m.: NASCAR Nationwide Series VisitMyrtleBeach.com 300 (200 laps, 300 miles), ESPNEWS (Follow live)
PRESS CONFERENCES (Follow live)
-- Approx. 4:15 p.m.: Post-Truck Series race

Maybe but only late in next week's race at Dover, and I would stress only considered very late in the race

I just don't think you can mentally map out all of those what ifs while running a good race. It is kind of like running a grudge race, if all concentration is put there you forget the to simply race the race track, and that is huge.

There are just two many variables, caution resets etc to play that game imo. I could see him yielding P1 to Joey late in the race, but the odds of that even being an option is slim.

I think he just races to win knowing 2nd means very little. They may gamble more on gas mileage etc, but that is about all imo.

Maybe but only late in next week's race at Dover, and I would stress only considered very late in the race

I just don't think you can mentally map out all of those what ifs while running a good race. It is kind of like running a grudge race, if all concentration is put there you forget the to simply race the race track, and that is huge.

There are just two many variables, caution resets etc to play that game imo. I could see him yielding P1 to Joey late in the race, but the odds of that even being an option is slim.

I think he just races to win knowing 2nd means very little. They may gamble more on gas mileage etc, but that is about all imo.

If you have a car to win, you just race. If he's running 10th and there is a slight chance of winning by fuel mileage or risky tire strategy, he'll go for it. If points mattered, he probably wouldn't.

I think they are overhyping the panic must win scenarios for Aric Almirola. He can still make it into the final 12 without a win. One top 5 and another top 10 would work imo. You only have to beat 4 others and some of them will have bad luck in the next two races.

Trying to force a win will just mess them up. Race to win but keep the common sense and don't throw away a top 10 for an some impossible gamble.

That may be necessary at Dover but not at Loudon.

If you have a car to win, you just race. If he's running 10th and there is a slight chance of winning by fuel mileage or risky tire strategy, he'll go for it. If points mattered, he probably wouldn't.

I think that says it all - with one exception. What if members of the same organization or even manufacturer need a win in one of these 3rd races?

Do you remember when Kenseth said that he'd let a teammate lead a lap to get into the Chase but not during the Chase? I think it was Edwards that took exception to it but have things changed? I don't know - yet ;)

"As a team we definitely have what it takes to beat him (keselowski)," - Jeff Gordon

If any team is going to play chess with this format, it's the #2 team. Paul would pull some crazy assed pit strategy to try and deny a win and in opportunity to the guys who are real good at Homestead. I expect this kind of thing to become a big story line in these segments when a chaser DOES knock a contender out of contention.

Anything that Brad does to deny Kenseth a championship will be much appreciated by me :D

"As a team we definitely have what it takes to beat him (keselowski)," - Jeff Gordon

They are the only ones who have been able to keep him closer for sure.

Brad seems like the guy to beat again but Gordon is right there with him if practice speeds and lap averages are anything to go by. But they're not so we'll just watch and see tomorrow.

They are the only ones who have been able to keep him closer for sure.

Brad seems like the guy to beat again but Gordon is right there with him if practice speeds and lap averages are anything to go by. But they're not so we'll just watch and see tomorrow.
The last time Gordon talked smack about Penske, Penske made him put his foot in his mouth. Hope that wont be the case tomorrow afternoon (or monday depending on the weather).

Only 30% to start so I think they'll start the race on time. Not sure about that 60% later though.

Do not forget, Winning "PAYS" a whole lot more than second or worse. Plus, Brad loves to race hard all the time, I think he stands a good chance to repeat this weekend.

Back
Top Bottom