New Points System for 04

R

rajflyboy

Nascar may approve the new Points System in the Next 2 weeks!

They are now considering a new points system:

with 10 races to go >> Top 10 drivers points go to Zero >> and they will also allow a Wild Card into the picture, Making it an 11 car Battle for the NEXTEL CUP CHAMPIONSHIP!

These changes will go into effect to help NBC and Nascar get better ratings in the Fall Against the NFL!

This Idea is getting a lot of Heat from Nascar folks and from the Fans! I personally would love the change. I'm tired of follow the leader type racing in the Fall!

And, you can add another driver to the list of those who don't want the 10 race playoff deal:

Jarrett not in favor of proposed changes
By Lee Montgomery, Turner Sports Interactive January 7, 2004
9:32 AM EST (1432 GMT)

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. -- Dale Jarrett blasted NASCAR's proposed change of the points system Tuesday, saying the sanctioning body needs to be careful with such a drastic switch.

NASCAR is considering using the first 26 races as a regular season of sorts, with the top 10 after that point the only ones who can compete for the season championship. Jarrett said he has found plenty of holes with the proposal, the biggest being the possibility of dropping out of the top 10 in the final race of the "regular season."

"You can call me a traditionalist or whatever, but I'm not for the change," said Jarrett, a 17-year veteran and the 1999 NASCAR champion. "Whether you put yourself in a position or take yourself out of a position in those first 26, we've always been about the season-long deal, performing for 36 races. Whoever does that the best wins the championship.

"Just say we've had a pretty decent 25 races, and I'm seventh in the points. From fifth to 12th is really close, within 100 points of each other. The first lap, I get taken out at Richmond, and my car is torn up beyond repair, and I go all the way back to 11th or 12th. You're going to tell UPS, who spends millions of dollars, that the best their car can finish this season is 11th? I'm not sure how long they'll be around. I'm not putting words in their mouth. I just know of conversations I've had with them. I think we're taking a big chance with sponsors."

Jarrett said he used that argument with NASCAR president Mike Helton. The sport has been unique through the years compared to other major-league sports, and Jarrett said NASCAR needs to move a little slower.

"Do we need to be like the NFL, like Major League Baseball, the NBA to where we bring more teams in, and the best team doesn't always win the Super Bowl or the World Series or the NBA championship?" Jarrett said. "The team that's been the best throughout the season doesn't always do that. You bring in teams that may gel later on.

"I'm not totally against what they're proposing... But my choice would be to leave things the way they are, other than what I've always said: give the winner more points than anybody else in every race."

Besides, if NASCAR wants to compete against the NFL for three months, that is a difficult task, Jarrett said.

"We have our fans that are very passionate about our sport, and they're not going to turn over in those three months and watch an NFL game when there's a NASCAR race on," Jarrett said. "But you've got to look at the other side. If you're trying to get that NFL fan over there to switch over to us by changing things around and thinking they're going to turn over to watch a playoff system of ours, then you're dead wrong. They're very, very passionate about their sport, also.

"I'm a race driver, not a TV person, so I'm probably speaking out of turn. But I do know sports. Being a fan of it, we better be careful of what we're doing there. I didn't think the sport was in trouble to where we needed (major change)."

One other problem Jarrett has is exposure for drivers outside the top 10 in the final 10 races. Sure, teams that are outside the top 10 don't usually get a lot of television coverage in the final 10 races, but Jarrett said they'd get less under the proposed change.

"You can sit here and try to convince me all you want about how the networks are going to make sure everybody else is shown, too," Jarrett said. "I'm not even sure (if you're leading the race) if you're not one of those 10 that you're going to be talked about that much. Right now, they don't give a damn about the New York Giants, the Atlanta Falcons or anybody else who isn't playing."

at the end of the year all you here about is drivers trying to get into the top 10 to get that bonus money, well, after race 26 why would 12th place show up, there not gonna get much more,in a playoff system, the teams that dont make the playoffs are done till next year, what about in racing, sorry guys your not in the playoffs, but can you show up for the race for us still? if they really want to, the guys who dont make it to the playoffs can just boycott nascar, that would get the message through. should see what other sponsors think about this idea, they pay bills, they are the reason those teams are out there fighting.

the beginning of the end !! if this happens they are as my mom would say cutting their nose off to spite their face.

Position 10-20 Still pays out Good Money >> The other Cars will show up for that!

When is the last time someone has came from 11th on back with 10 to go and won a championship??? So.....what will the difference be .........except fierce competition by the top 10 cars to win the title!!!

It will produce excellent racing >> I can't wait to watch it>> and next year at this time >> I will be saying "I Told Ya So"

I don't know flyboy, I think it will reduce the rest of field (if they even show up) to a mere annoyance to those out there in the top ten or eleven, kind of like when a car with out a front end is out there running 80 laps down for points...what happens when those are in the way? Or what even happens when they cause a wreck that takes out a contender? Just imagine if a 35th, hell 12th place driver causes a wreck that takes out someone in the title chase? I think it would only increase disdain amongst drivers and would truly reduce the real interest of many teams placing their drivers in that position...and think how anti climactic it would be to see a guy not in the playoff position win a race. Just seems kind of stupid when you look at it that way.

i do not like the change because i believe you work hard all year to get a big lead then with 10 races to go instead of one person you have to defend you have 10 more (with the wildcard) that you have to defend. Then nobody would care to be in the lead of the points because it would be useless. Everyone would be shooting for the top 10 and we want to see more competition then that. What if your favorite driver is winning with a big lead you probably would be against this too.

Updated points standings after race #25 Sharpie 500
1. Matt Kenseth, 3592

2. Dale Earnhardt Jr., 3241

3. Kevin Harvick, 3128

4. Jimmie Johnson, 3063

5. Jeff Gordon, 3060

6. Kurt Busch, 2990

7. Ryan Newman, 2971

8. Michael Waltrip, 2960

9. Bobby Labonte, 2907

10. Robby Gordon, 2835

Final Winston Cup point standings

1. Matt Kenseth, 5022

2. Jimmie Johnson, 4932

3. Dale Earnhardt Jr., 4815

4. Jeff Gordon, 4785

5. Kevin Harvick, 4770

6. Ryan Newman, 4711

7. Tony Stewart, 4549

8. Bobby Labonte, 4377

9. Bill Elliott, 4303

10. Terry Labonte, 4162

Driver after 25 final $$$ difference

Terry Labonte 12 10 $75,000
Tony Stewart 11 7 $225,000
Bill Elliott 17 9 $180,000

Thats alot of cash for these teams, I can't see how they justify that. :unsure:

I guess I'm the Only one here that Likes the Change! I really hope they go with it! It will work >> I have a good feeling about it! Teams from 11 on back won't go home >> because a lot of those teams know they don't have much of a shot at a win anyway >> so Why would they show up even with the current System then?

Here's what next tell thinks...at least it's their reply to my comments:

"Thanks for your support of Nextel's entry into the sport. We are looking forward to a great launch later this month. We have been communicating with NASCAR regarding the proposed playoff scenario and they, too, are aware of the feedback from fans. The fans are the backbone of this sport and we believe that NASCAR does take that into account when making their decisions. Thank you for taking the time to write us and express your views on the playoff topic. "

Im with flyboy, 10 teams all even in points with 10 races to go, thats would be exciting. The 10 teams that are the most consistent through the first 26 races have a shot, then the driver that is the most consistent the last 10 races is the champion.

If NASCAR really wants a 10 race play-off sprint to the Championship,then why not reset 20 drivers points to 0 and let Them have at it from an equal footing,I still wouldn't care for the idea,but might be a little more fair?At least the dollar amounts lost be some teams wouldn't be as great ;)

I also think that a road course event should be within the final ten races as well :eek:

Good point about the road course...my biggest problem is that the championship would be decided by 10 specific tracks, I mean, logistically, all football fields are a little different, but you've played on one, you've played on them all...right? so you can't very well leave out an entire type of track from the championship run, much less the fact that each track is considerably different enough to make a difference...IMO.

Originally posted by esorlxaw@Jan 7 2004, 11:59 PM
Good point about the road course...my biggest problem is that the championship would be decided by 10 specific tracks, I mean, logistically, all football fields are a little different, but you've played on one, you've played on them all...right?  so you can't very well leave out an entire type of track from the championship run, much less the fact that each track is considerably different enough to make a difference...IMO.
Quite so.If NASCAR wants to emulate the NFL,then which drivers will get the home field(track advantage of Their choice)and which driver will be on the road(no pun intended),while NASCAR's at it then why not have the 2nd place team go home after each one of the final 10 races,They lost the race,right?I'm saying this with deep sarcasm as it's all so rediculous IMHO :p

I hope that this all just pure hype,a few more points to the winner would get My support though ;)

Guys like Kurt Busch and Jeff Gordon will always be at away tracks >> They get booed all the time! LOL

Tony Stewart and Dale Jr >> will always be at Home Tracks !!! LOL

Originally posted by rajflyboy@Jan 8 2004, 11:03 AM
Guys like Kurt Busch and Jeff Gordon will always be at away tracks >> They get booed all the time! LOL

Tony Stewart and Dale Jr >> will always be at Home Tracks !!! LOL
I know Jeff Gordon would also always have home-field advantage <_<

I was being sarcastic in above post <_<

Jeff Gordon gets more Boos than Any Driver Out there>>> That would have to be considered as "Away Games"

Originally posted by rajflyboy@Jan 9 2004, 07:44 AM
Jeff Gordon gets more Boos than Any Driver Out there>>> That would have to be considered as "Away Games"
:rolleyes:

Originally posted by rajflyboy@Jan 9 2004, 09:44 AM
I was referring to Jeff Gordon's prowess and success at so many tracks,not the #3 and #8 fan's reactions to Him :lol:

However,Jeff is received very wamly at Indianapolis,Fontana and Sonaoma tracks,Pocono shows Him pretty good support also ;) Of course none of those tracks will be in the play-off series of final 10 races anyway,nevermind :lol:

Pocono Fans don't Root For the Redneck Drivers from what I recall when I went to races up there!

Originally posted by rajflyboy@Jan 9 2004, 08:01 PM
I'm from PA >> If you were from there you would Understand!
Fly, take a pill and back away from the computer.

Hope everybody from PA is not like him. Would give those people a bad name.

Ha Ha Ha >> If you went to a Pocono Race you would understand too

Back
Top Bottom