New Points System

M

MCanyon

I dont mind seeing the winner receive more points. But, as for the 10 race playoff, should a racer be eliminated because he finished just slightly lower than another driver with 10 races to go where under the old rules they would have 9 races left to regain the small amout of points margin that they lost in the one race. plus it sounds like the new rules will have the final race down to 2 racers (maybe) but under the old rules any amount of drivers could be in the running.

also they said that with 10 races left the drivers will be separated by a predetermined amount of points in order to bring the competition closer together but what if they are already closer than the predetermined amount?

they say they are doing this to increase the drama and excitement, personally i hate manufactured drama and excitement. let it happen naturally and it will be much better.

i could just see nascar changing the pts system after each race trying to fine tune it in order to MAXIMIZE DRAMA. just my two cents

I'm also in favor of adding a few more points to the race winner,also like that NASCAR's raisuing the minimum speed limit at tracks so as to help keep down on the number of wrecks running around the track for a few precious points,that's a good thing IMHO.

I also dislike the whole play-off senario,but I understand that NASCAR might also implement some sort of a wild-card aspect to this,whereas a few drivers that are just below the points cut-off number might still be able to make a run at the Cup over the final 10 races.

If one of the favorite drivers doesn't make the cut then I wouldn't be surprised to see some kind of wild card addition. What they are trying to make it like baseball or the like is beyond me. Racing isn't like the others and is unique in that all are racing for the next higher spot. Nascar should get out of trying to manufacture racing excitement. Nascar has been its own worst enemy try to make everything even.

You'll probably see that next year Nascar will again be making changes when they realize that this is not going to work.

Originally posted by nascar20@Jan 15 2004, 07:54 PM
You'll probably see that next year Nascar will again be making changes when they realize that this is not going to work.
I think that Ur right,wouldn't be surprised at all to see the basic old points system put back in place in 2005.Afterall,this play-off deal is only being used in Nectel Cup,not the other upper 2 levels of NASCAR ;)

What I'm really worried about is how the champions under this system will be compared to champions in the past years.

I think NASCAR overdid their points-changing decision, I'm pretty sure the fans and the drivers would've appreciated just giving more points to the race winner. However, I'm not going to judge a book by it's cover right now, guess we'll just have to see what does happen.

Originally posted by Happy29@Jan 16 2004, 02:07 PM
What I'm really worried about is how the champions under this system will be compared to champions in the past years.

I think NASCAR overdid their points-changing decision, I'm pretty sure the fans and the drivers would've appreciated just giving more points to the race winner. However, I'm not going to judge a book by it's cover right now, guess we'll just have to see what does happen.
I'm sure that a lot of fans,if not the media as well,will keep track of the points under the old system and will declare which driver would've been the "true Champion" before,and the driver actually crowned Champion,if a different driver anyway,will always have a tainted twist to His Championship,or at the very least have an asterick beside His Cup IMHO ;)

I am hoping to keep and open mind through the change but I do thinkg they should keep the old point system, because as soon as they notice a pattern or someone complains about it, they will just think of something else again. :(

Back
Top Bottom