Newman's Fuel Advantage Discovered?

T

TonyB

#12's secret? smaller carb? With all the talk about Ryan Newman’s race strangling fuel runs of late it’s no wonder that many of his peers are frustrated to the point where they’re hurling accusations. But the story behind Newman & Company’s fuel secret crawled out of the bag and into the lap of TFR [Team Ford Racing]. The secret to the formula — bigger is not always better in Winston Cup. The NASCAR specifications for a carburetor allow a carburetor will flow up to 830 cubic feet per minute maximum. Newman’s men have found if they run a carb that flows 750 cfm that they give up only two horsepower to what the bigger carb delivers. That smaller carb, without 2 hp, brings the team about 0.5 miles per gallon extra in fuel consumption. Taking that 0.5 mpg and working it with the 22-gallon NASCAR-specified fuel cell, you see that Newman has an 11-mile cushion compared to his competitors. Meaning that Newman could run an extra seven laps at a 1.5-mile track, such as is found at Lowe’s Motor Speedway. Unfortunately for the Alltel team the secret is starting to filter out to some of the other teams, however, the power lost to the smaller carb is not quite at the level that the Penske motor men are capable of recapturing, but darn close. Give those who have started to experiment with the smaller carb a few weeks and any deficit should soon disappear.(Ford Racing)(10-13-2003)

If this is true, I know they sure hate it got out because it would mean advantage over.

LOL! They forgot to mention the magnets attached to the fuel lines!

Originally posted by TonyB@Oct 13 2003, 11:15 AM
Unfortunately for the Alltel team the secret is starting to filter out to some of the other teams,
Starting to leak out? If we are talking about it here, then im pretty sure every team knows about this (assuming it is true). Unless they hide in a cave at the conclusion of the races. ;)

...not only the magnets, but they also forgot the Tornado and the the spark ionizer!...sorry, couldn't help myself. The carb needs to work in conjunction with the rest of the engine.

Also, keep in mind, the closer a carb gets to maxing out the fatter it gets. Also, the more throttle you give it relative to what the engine actually needs the less fuel it will pull....????

A brilliant engineering feat by the Penske team and Ryan, assuming it is a fact.

Ryan should take a stroll by the 29 team (Yak-Yak) and give them a big grin. :p

I, on the other hand, am thinking "no way Jose"... Not a chance this rumor is true. That 80 CFM you spoke of is a whole lot more that 2 0r 3 HP!
Betsy

Betsy,

Don't count on it.. those guys have been making POWER all year. Look at the qualifying. But I bet they are doing more than just that :)

I do believe they could easily be running a 750 carb and lose very little HP.

Back in the day there was a period of time between open engines and restrictor plates when NASCAR mandated smaller carbs (much smaller) to try and slow the boys down. Made very little difference.

Consider also that the Busch cars run a 390 carb, way smaller, and do not lose a whole bunch of HP, some but not beaucoups.

Like Windsor said, if the whole package is put together to use it, it can be very efficient. In some cases with moving the torque curve around and such perhaps even an advantage.

Whether in a high output configuration this combo would actually result in .5 mpg increase, that might be a stretch. Lots would still depend on the planning and the right foot of Ryan.

I have not been able to find any mention of the rumor posted here on any Nascar related site. If there is an article somewhere I would like to see the source.

The story is coming from the Ford Racing site.

About midway through the article:

Article Link

Not sure what the definition of NASCAR site is, but this is the origin of the story.

I am not quite sure what the definition of a Nascar site is either. :)

Thanks for the info, that is what I was looking for.

Originally posted by HardScrabble@Oct 14 2003, 10:53 AM

Article Link

Not sure what the definition of NASCAR site is, but this is the origin of the story.
jack roush probally wrote the artical.

hummmmmmm

Attachments

• 10a.JPG
    10a.JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 136
Originally posted by j ozzman 5000+Oct 14 2003, 01:13 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (j ozzman 5000 @ Oct 14 2003, 01:13 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--HardScrabble@Oct 14 2003, 10:53 AM

Article Link

jack roush probally wrote the artical. [/b][/quote]
LOL!

A person on another site has stated that Newman probably dogged it :rolleyes: :rolleyes: at Lowe's because of all the controversy that has been caused by his fuel racing. Of course the person is not a fan of Ryans. :D

I seriously doubt that Ryan was "dogging it" due to comments and complaints from drivers and fans regarding the fuel mileage their team has been getting this year.

But everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Back
Top Bottom