No. 9, not in Chase Elliott's future

Chase: "Well Deddy a two digit number ain't all that bad."

Bill : "Whatcha mean by that boy?"..

Chase:"Don't you remember the Tungsten plated numbers...

Obviously as a huge Elliott fan I want to see the 9 carry forward. But I am realistic. Chase has run the 9 and 94 for the most part of his career. I would let it all go for a cup ride but the 9 seems proper. Rick Hendrick needs to go to work with RPM. Never the less, a ride in the cup series is a big big deal. THe heck with the number. Chase Elliott is going to be there soon. He has the talent.

But, as a hard core Elliotts fan for decadeds I want to see the 9 on the car. Thats just part of the Elliott DNA.

I know the chances are slim but holding out for a miarcle.

Guys, drivers don't own their car numbers in NASCAR... unless they're also the team owner.
NASCAR sells numbers to teams. Teams can then sell a number and obtain another one, with NASCAR's consent (which is usually a rubber stamp).
Just because a racer's relative made a number famous doesn't mean it gets passed on to him. If I was in the position to drive in NASCAR and had a famous relative who had driven in NASCAR, I'd rather use a different number so I could establish my own identity and somewhat lower the stress of fans' expectations.

For the number 9, I don't remember who used it last before Elliot (it may have been dormant for a while) but apparently Elliot requested it and got it. But during his career, to keep the lights on, Elliot sold his team to Melling and the #9 rights went to Melling. That's why Elliot had to come up with a new number (#94) when he established a new team (after disbanding his old team and driving for Junior Johnson for a while). Melling continued to field a #9 car with Lake Speed being the most notable driver. I think Elliot used #94 because his nephew Casey had used it (and as a tribute to Casey as he was battling cancer).

Melling eventually quit racing, and later sold #9 to Ray Evernham's start-up team. When Evernham merged with and then sold out to Petty the #9 came along with the deal. So Petty owns the number 9 (in Sprint Cup) and can resell it if he wants. That number still has some value since Petty has continued to use it and to attach driver names and sponsorships to it.

If you really feel that Chase Elliot should run #9 in Sprint Cup, write to Petty Enterprises. You never know, Petty may be willing to give it up or sell it. But with NASCAR controlling numbers issued and teams having a monetary stake in the numbers they use, don't expect that any driver "deserves" to get the number used by their famous relative. If Jr. couldn't pull that off, drivers with a smaller fan base are even less likely to.

I'd love to see Chase in the 9 car but only if it was a Ford. Seeing how he's with Hendricks that ain't gonna happen. Put Chase in the 25 car.

2015 will be the year that makes or breaks Kasey. If he gets a couple wins like he usually does, runs in the top 5 or 10 a majority of the time, and makes the chase, then I don't see Hendrick letting him walk.
Rick H may not have decided what he's going to do with #5 for 2016-> yet. But he probably will by the end of April next year. I really don't think Kahne has a chance unless he's in the final four at Homestead.

Even though I've been watching racing for many years, I still think of the 9 as Kasey Kahne's number. I think many younger folks probably would too. I know Elliot came back to the 9 for a few years when he joined with Everham in 2001, but he had been out of it for ten years before that. I just don't see it as the big deal a lot of people think it is. As far as Cup racing goes, its not an iconic number to me, like the 43 or 3 would be.

It's gonna be #99 IMO

Carl's done with it, moving on to 19 and Jack Roush is bring 6 back to add to 16 and 17.

So like Jr doubling a 8 to make 88, Chase adds another 9 for 99.

It's gonna be #99 IMO

Carl's done with it, moving on to 19 and Jack Roush is bring 6 back to add to 16 and 17.

The car number that Chase gets completely depends on who's car he takes over. He'll either get the #5 or the #25 if he takes over for Gordon. He MAY get the #94 instead of the #25 if he takes over for Gordon. No way Hendrick uses a special number for Chase, except for possibly the #94.

It's gonna be #99 IMO

Welcome to the forum Driver#24 , lots of Gordon fans here . Keep on posting.

Back
Top Bottom