Old School NASCAR Moments

Neil Bonnett wins the 1983 Busch Clash with a last-lap pass after winning a wild card berth into the race:

Yesterday it was 30 years ago when Dale Earnhardt won in Atlanta as the only car on the lead lap and secured his 2nd Winston Cup Championship.
I didn't hear the terms "side drafting" or "aero push" even once, although these aerodynamic effects were very much in evidence in the visual images. Maybe the announcers didn't know what they were seeing, or maybe they knew but figured their audience wouldn't so remained silent on the topic. I guess that is what we mean by "the good old days before aerodynamics ruined the sport?"

I didn't hear the terms "side drafting" or "aero push" even once, although these aerodynamic effects were very much in evidence in the visual images. Maybe the announcers didn't know what they were seeing, or maybe they knew but figured their audience wouldn't so remained silent on the topic. I guess that is what we mean by "the good old days before aerodynamics ruined the sport?"

LOL. Not even in the same stratosphere as todays locked down cars.

Reactions: sdj
upload_2018-12-20_14-58-43.jpeg

One of NASCAR's biggest brain farts

My favorite part is how Mark handled himself. Not many of today's drivers(including some I root for) could admit they screwed up so royally and take a ribbing from a fellow competitor on television like that.

Old School Family Race Team

https://www.si.com/vault/1985/07/22/620583/bills-driving-em-bananas

"The Elliotts of Dawsonville are silver-haired George, 61, and his three redheaded sons: Ernie, 37, the crew chief and engine builder; Dan, 34, Ernie's assistant and the invisible one; and Bill, 29, the driver and chassis man."
===
"For five years the family stayed mostly with the local short tracks. George broke his son into Grand National racing in 1976 by entering him in eight races, of which Bill finished two. In '77 George bought Roger Penske's race car when Penske shut down his NASCAR team after three years of trying and just one win to show for it. For the next five years the Elliotts stretched the equipment and squeezed the dollars. Their crew consisted of a few Dawsonville boys, and a couple of times their car was a Race Fan Special—a fan could get his name painted on the car for $100."
===
"Richard Petty's been preaching to us all year—scolding us—that if you've got an advantage, you don't show it," says George [Elliott]. "He says you shouldn't run away with it; that's not the way to do it. But that holds only if you're not legal. Feathering the throttle is what you do because you don't want to get tore down by the technical inspectors."

-- Yes, Bill Elliott is my favorite NASCAR driver.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom