Our Newest Villain

D

DE_Wrangler_2

I just read on another forum that someone wants our newest controversial driver parked. I'm talking about Johnny Sauter, driver of the number 30 AOL car owned by Richard Childress. Since there are a couple of what I would call trolls over on that site I have avoided any response to the statement. I really would like an honest, open, and non hostile discussion on the topic.........I'm not one to bash drivers or posters.

Okay, here's the way I see it. Johnny is a rookie. He's an aggressive driver. He's young. And he's a little hot headed. All three of those attributes are desirable in a Cup driver (both for an owner and a sponsor). Good guys seldom win in this division of NASCAR racing. Yeah there are exceptions........DJ, Bobby and Terry Labonte, Bill Elliott, and Matt Kenseth are some that come to mind that have bucked the norm. But, really, they are aggressive too.......just not as openly as most. I've seen each and every one of those five drivers move someone out of the way to get ahead of them. You just don't win Championships in a field where competition is so high by not doing so. Every owner and sponsor wants a driver who will aggressively drive for a win...........it's dollars in the bank (yeah, it's game of money......always has been, always will be). But, that aggression has to be backed up with skill. Skill takes time to develope...........some do so more quickly than others. At the moment, I don't think Johnny has the skill to back up his aggression. He may never get it.............but then, again, he might. I'm not ready to say anyone should park him for his driving. I do think Richard needs to take control and settle him down a bit..............and regardless of how you feel about Richard Childress, the fact is that he did take a very aggressive driver to 7 Championships. He knows how to do it. If Richard can't control his driver, then I have confidence that he will take other measures to protect his team, sponsors and reputation........think about Jeff Green last year.

So, what are your thoughts? Give Johnny a break and let the owner take care of it or should NASCAR take the lead and park him in the interest of safety?

I do not want to see NASCAR parking drivers until and unless they go over a line that Sauter has yet to cross. I've always been a fan of clean drivers, and the good Lord knows Sauter don't qualify. I say let the other drivers take care of Johnny Sauter...and they will soon enough I think. His days are numbered as far as being able to play 200 mph pinball. Pick enough concrete out of your teeth and it's amazing how mellow you become.

Oh yeah............the other drivers can take car of it too! :) But, if it becomes a war between Johnny and some other drivers, there's a safety issue. Bristol may be a place to do it. And, lets say he does get tossed to the wall there............what if little Johnny decides to retaliate at say Texas, Talladega or California?

Richard Childress is highly qualified to take care of his drivers. Like DE said his took an aggressive driver to 6 championships, He also settled Earnhardt and Skinners differences, and he has pretty much settled Harvick and Robby Gordon. I think RC is giving Johnny just enough rope to hang himself with and then he will snatch a knot in his butt a boyscout can't untie. I look for RC to handle this in his own time frame.

Hey, Bow........are saying Richard will "jerk a knot in his tail"? :lol2:

It's his arrogance that magnifies his issues. Todd Bodine caused alot of havoc the last couple of years but he does not piss me off nearly as much as Sauter does.

Originally posted by DE_Wrangler_2@Mar 7 2004, 07:58 PM
Hey, Bow........are saying Richard will "jerk a knot in his tail"? :lol2:
You got it DE, I think given a little time Johnny will be ok. And I am not a Sauter fan either. But in the world of fast racecars bridled aggression is a good thing. ;)

Hmmmmmm..............Todd Bodine in the 30 car? :D I'd love to see that..........even though Geoffry was never one I rooted for!! :cheers:

That ain't gonna happen though. :(

the harvick-gordon issue is not resolved, it's just on the back burner, yeah dale did his fair share of bumpin but not wrecklessly like Mr. bonehead, I don't think he should be parked but something needs to be done. Another thing that really pisses me off is that he is not taking any responsibilty for his actions, he's blaming other drivers

Originally posted by steveluvs3@Mar 7 2004, 08:14 PM
Another thing that really pisses me off is that he is not taking any responsibilty for his actions, he's blaming other drivers
Take a look at Ernie Irvan, sounds just like him doesn't it. And he turned out ok don't you think?

How Ernie Irvin turned out has no implication on how Sauter is going to do. Maybe his daddy needs to smack him around. Like Irvin I am sure most drivers will lose confidence and trust with Mr. Sauter. How he will handle that will determine his future.

You're right, but that doesn't mean he is gonna suck either. I am not passing judgement on Sauter just yet.

Originally posted by bowtie@Mar 7 2004, 06:20 PM
You're right, but that doesn't mean he is gonna suck either. I am not passing judgement on Sauter just yet.
Neither am I Bow...........he's brand new in this division and he's made some big mistakes. But, there have been quite a few in the past that have done the same. Our friend Kurt Busch for one. :D He's doing just fine now!!

I remember that stint ernie went through, and he was'nt a smart ass like sauter. Did'nt some of the vets have a long talk with ernie and after that he settled down?

Arrrrgggggggggg!!! Thats me screaming in frustration because I am kindler and gentler now but I think.....

ARRRGGG!!! I will shut up now. :wacko:

But I agree with Steve: Sauter ain't no Ernie Irvan.

We are only three races into the season. Yes, Sauter has made mistakes. But, he is a rookie. Let's just wait and see if RC will get this guy under control. If he doesn't and things begin to escalate, then NASCAR will have to step in. Until then, let's just watch and see what happens. I'm betting that Mr. Sauter will be having a meeting with RC this week!

RC knows how to handle loose cannon drivers. Sauter will strighten up or he will be gone. :lol:

Sauter's not the first rookie to make mistakes, and he sure won't be the last. Childress is NOT one to put up with an unruly driver and mark this down, Little Johnny will do his best to conform cuz stupid he is not!

Alright...........this is a little off topic. But, I really want to commend all y'all. I started this topic with a fair amount of trepidation. It seems topics concerning controversial drivers or questionable events during a race illicit some rather harsh feelings from fans..........."bashing" or implications about someone's knowledge of the sport. I ain't seen any of that!! What a refreshing twist for me!! I can only say this board has really improved in it's tone and quality!! I don't know who to thank more.............Sam Curry or the members!! From the members still here after my falling out a while back and the new management, I would say it's both!!

Thanks guys.........I think I just might be more active from now on!! :D

*PS.....I've been a little cautious since coming back.......some might have noticed"

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

in defense of ernie irvan, he was a proven winner before all that stuff started with other drivers. I just feel they were trying to tell him that we know you can win , just back off a little bit. On the other hand sauter is not a proven winner and appears to have the need to use his head a bit more, otherwise he will never gain the respect of other drivers.

Well you sure didn't miss the nail that time racer8.............that's a very true observation. :)

Sauter is a little more reckless than some, I suppose. But younger (or sometimes simply less successful drivers) get blamed for a lot of contact that isn't their fault. I am a big fan of Dale Jarrett, but even I could see he moved right up into Johnny today at Vegas.

But then, I like Todd Bodine so what do I know? :p

Originally posted by 4xchampncountin@Mar 7 2004, 07:56 PM
But then, I like Todd Bodine so what do I know?  :p
Man, if that's a qualifier, I don't know s*** either!! :blink: I like Todd too...........and Jimmy Spencer!!

Double whammy for me!! :wacko:

And don't forget you like Earnhardt, dont ya Wrangler?
A triple,really.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Bwwwahhhhaahhhhaaaaaa!! I had to say it! :p :p

:XXROFL: Yep...........triple for me!! :cheers: :cheers:

I just love being the butt of jokes!! :)

*Cutie has told me I'm just a plain butt, so it must be true*

(I'm joking Cutie...........I love ya!!! :wub: )

Originally posted by 97forever@Mar 8 2004, 04:00 AM
I always liked Todd myself,4x. :cheers:
He just seems like a pretty good guy and a fairly talented driver. It would be interesting to see what he could do in a really good ride, but it'll never happen. He has a reputation as a wreckless kind of driver and once you get that label it is very hard to shake. Plus his age works against him getting a good ride also.

Originally posted by kat2220@Mar 7 2004, 10:23 PM
Sauter's not the first rookie to make mistakes, and he sure won't be the last. Childress is NOT one to put up with an unruly driver and mark this down, Little Johnny will do his best to conform cuz stupid he is not!
He may not be stupid but he sure is makin some stupid moves and comments.

Was just wondering if anyone watched Inside NASCAR Nextel Cup tonight?

Kenny was asked about Johnny and his comment was "Johnny will have a few DNF's this year." ;)

I still say he will pick concrete out of his teeth at either darlington or Bristol. He's gonna find out that every guy on the track knows how to bump, and most are better at it than he is.

I can hear Kenseth now..."Man, that tire sure went flat all of a sudden there in turn 3...weird how that happens at Bristol...hate it for ya Johnny...Remember the Alamo and don't forget Richmond or Vegas either there pal."

Cute possum, LOL

I think when you get a guy like Kenny making as strong a comment as that, Johnny go pretty much the whole garage gunning for him. :dual9mm: :dual9mm:

Back
Top Bottom