Our race plans for the year?

My plans are still up in the air. I prefer to race at local tracks rather than watch, but once again am waiting for rule change postings.
Will probably help some newbies run karts again, maybe drive my own kart again in a "just for yuks" class.
I'm sure a buddy will try to talk me into running Super Street or Limited Late Model, but lack of funds will probably stall that again.
Might get dragged to the Madhouse but not to race (don't have a full time body-and-fender-man or a frame jig).
If I'm not racing I've got several local tracks to choose from (Bowman-Gray Stadium, 311 Speedway, Friendship Speedway, Rolling Thunder Raceway, Caraway Speedway) but all of them are hurting for show quality so I'm not hurrying to any of them.
No real plans to attend any big league races, but maybe will watch WoO Sprints and Late Models when they come to Charlotte.
Charlotte, Martinsville, and Rockingham are always possibilities... but due to costs and timing unlikely.

Didn't realize Rockingham Speedway was in bankruptcy and for sale again. It's a shame. Hate to see it waste away like North Wilkesboro has.

We're going to the June Pocono and Michigan races with a possibility of other trips. We'll be pulling the 30 footer and It'll take over three weeks and 3200 miles and over 50 hours of actual driving time. We'll be spending some time in some great spots along the way.Yep we're race fans. :D

upload_2015-1-15_8-31-48.png

Didn't realize Rockingham Speedway was in bankruptcy and for sale again. It's a shame. Hate to see it waste away like North Wilkesboro has.

I wish all the fans who spent years crying about the place being closed would have supported it when it reopened.

My plans are still up in the air. I prefer to race at local tracks rather than watch, but once again am waiting for rule change postings.
Will probably help some newbies run karts again, maybe drive my own kart again in a "just for yuks" class.
I'm sure a buddy will try to talk me into running Super Street or Limited Late Model, but lack of funds will probably stall that again.
Might get dragged to the Madhouse but not to race (don't have a full time body-and-fender-man or a frame jig).
If I'm not racing I've got several local tracks to choose from (Bowman-Gray Stadium, 311 Speedway, Friendship Speedway, Rolling Thunder Raceway, Caraway Speedway) but all of them are hurting for show quality so I'm not hurrying to any of them.
No real plans to attend any big league races, but maybe will watch WoO Sprints and Late Models when they come to Charlotte.
Charlotte, Martinsville, and Rockingham are always possibilities... but due to costs and timing unlikely.

If you don't mind me asking, where do you live? And where would you run a LLM?

We're going to the June Pocono and Michigan races with a possibility of other trips. We'll be pulling the 30 footer and It'll take over three weeks and 3200 miles and over 50 hours of actual driving time. We'll be spending some time in some great spots along the way.Yep we're race fans. :D

View attachment 16953
We'll hook up for lunch when you and your better half, much better half, do your drive-by of my location in western PA. You're ride on I-80 will bring you within a dozen or so miles of my location. There's a nice little bar/restaurant just south of my exit.

We'll hook up for lunch when you and your better half, much better half, do your drive-by of my location in western PA. You're ride on I-80 will bring you within a dozen or so miles of my location. There's a nice little bar/restaurant just south of my exit.
Damn tootin. I already told the much better half and she said great. :D

I wish all the fans who spent years crying about the place being closed would have supported it when it reopened.
I went to all the Truck races and the other touring events. I missed the endurance series, but I don't think those would have saved the place.

I recall Andy made some pocket change back during the first round of testing bans. Between the main track as a substitute for Darlington and the small track as a clone of M'ville, teams were over there quite a bit.

Asheville, NC is a great place.

And is 'C' Staunton, VA? I had the best barbequed chicken of my life there. If you're into Shakespeare, there's a world-class theater there.

View attachment 16953
Looks like you'll pass pretty close by my house too. I'll wave as as you go by.

Asheville, NC is a great place.

And is 'C' Staunton, VA? I had the best barbequed chicken of my life there. If you're into Shakespeare, there's a world-class theater there.
It's in Verona but not far from Staunton. My wife doesn't get her summer break until June 3rd so we'll be in a hurry on the way to Pocono. Three 7 hour runs with two overnight stops. The rest of the trip will be leisurely though. Asheville is a great place and Lake Lure is in a zone of It's own. We're looking forward to stopping there again.

Looks like you'll pass pretty close by my house too. I'll wave as as you go by.
:D

If you don't mind me asking, where do you live? And where would you run a LLM?
Winston-Salem.
Used to run LLM at 311 and Friendship. But too many rule changes within a short period of time chased us away. Car started out as a Super Street, and we kept cutting and welding on it to try to keep up with the rules, but it got ridiculous trying to keep a Camaro competitive with a full Late Model chassis. We did manage to win one, but it was due to being at the right place at the right time. Tried Friendship, but after telling us that our engine would be legal they refused to allow us to race due to the heads. Then we blew that engine up anyway and parked.

Considered building another car to the current rules, but that's a target that moves too much and we can't afford to waste any more money on obsoleted parts / guessing what's legal. Both tracks keep changing promoters too (which usually means even more rule changes). So it's back to karts until something stabilizes.

Well just found out I got 3 free tickets to the Daytona 500. Been to Daytona but not the 500. Gotta start planning how I'm gonna get down there!

Spring Dover may hit the truck or xfinity depending on work schedule.

It's in Verona but not far from Staunton. My wife doesn't get her summer break until June 3rd so we'll be in a hurry on the way to Pocono. Three 7 hour runs with two overnight stops. The rest of the trip will be leisurely though. Asheville is a great place and Lake Lure is in a zone of It's own. We're looking forward to stopping there again.
7 hour runs aren't bad. I've done a couple of round trips to Atlanta, 3.5 hours each way, with a rain-delayed Cup race in the middle.

'B' looks like Chattanooga. Is that just a convenient stopping place, or is there something particular you're seeing there? We've talked about going there for a long weekend.

B and C are just quick overnight stops to rest up. It's a lot more tiring than most people think to pull a 30 foot camper trailer through the mountains, especially with the mountain winds blowing. The rest are 3 to 5 night stops. We've been to Chattanooga 3 or 4 times and enjoyed it but this time will just relax.

I might attend the spring Texas race this year.

Last year was the first year that I failed to attend a race since roughly 2004, so I'm overdue to see a race.

B and C are just quick overnight stops to rest up. It's a lot more tiring than most people think to pull a 30 foot camper trailer through the mountains, especially with the mountain winds blowing. The rest are 3 to 5 night stops. We've been to Chattanooga 3 or 4 times and enjoyed it but this time will just relax.

Why don't you stop in North Carolina and see if you can find old FenderBumper ? He seems to have dropped off the face of the earth . I miss the old guy . Perhaps he has fallen and can't get up ? He always liked you Johali .There is room at the home here with me , if you find him.

Why don't you stop in North Carolina and see if you can find old FenderBumper ? He seems to have dropped off the face of the earth . I miss the old guy . Perhaps he has fallen and can't get up ? He always liked you Johali .There is room at the home here with me , if you find him.
Good idea. Asheville is only about an hour away from his neck of the woods.

I think he's just taking a break. If I run into him I'll let him know. Tell the nurse to get you a double shot of Jack Daniels on me. :D

Going to look into the Daytona 500, since I'll be in Florida that week already.

As always, I'll be attending both MIS events.

Upon learning of Jeff's retirement I'll be adding some races.

In fact, I just rearranged some business travel so that I can attend the Auto-Club 400 on March 22. I would have not done this if Jeff weren't retiring. Instead of arriving in Vegas on the 23rd, I'm flying in to LAX on the 21st, renting a car then heading to a hotel. Immediately following the race I will be driving to Vegas. Luckily my conference doesn't start until Tuesday so I'll have a day to unwind.

How bad have I got it? I just told a co-worker I was doing this and he looked at me like I was insane. ("You know it's a 3.5 hour drive to Vegas, right?") haha

Last edited:

In fact, I just rearranged some business travel so that I can attend the Auto-Club 400 on March 22. I would have not done this if Jeff weren't retiring. Instead of arriving in Vegas on the 23rd, I'm flying in to LAX on the 21st, renting a car then heading to a hotel. Immediately following the race I will be driving to Vegas. Luckily my conference doesn't start until Tuesday so I'll have a day to unwind.

How bad have I got it? I just told a co-worker I was doing this and he looked at me like I was insane. ("You know it's a 3.5 hour drive to Vegas, right?") haha

It was a 24 hr drive to Daytona and I did it twice.

It was a 24 hr drive to Daytona and I did it twice.

You must be pretty far north in Ontario? I'd think that Toronto and the surrounding areas would be quite a bit closer than that! And like 99% of Ontarios population lives pretty near Toronto. Farthest north i've been is probably Peterborough.

Vegas to LA is an easy pleasant drive! Done it a few times myself, i love it out there. Hope to live out that way someday. Vegas is the best!
My longest drives have been from home in Ohio to LA once and from Ohio to Edmonton, AB 2 times. Both were a little over 30 hours i think

You must be pretty far north in Ontario? I'd think that Toronto and the surrounding areas would be quite a bit closer than that! And like 99% of Ontarios population lives pretty near Toronto. Farthest north i've been is probably Peterborough.

When I made those runs, I lived 1 hr north of Toronto. I now live 8 hours north of Toronto or as I call it " the slums of Ontario."

When I made those runs, I lived 1 hr north of Toronto. I now live 8 hours north of Toronto or as I call it " the slums of Ontario."
8 HOURS north of Toronto?! :eek:
Never been through there , but all i can think of is it being like my drive all the way from the western border of Montana to the eastern border. Almost nothing, like 2 smallish cities and nothing else. I couldn't stand to live so far from everything!

The nearest town is only 18 miles away and I get there 4 times a week.

View attachment 16953
Updated.

Races I've already bought tickets for.
Pocono, June
Michigan, June
Daytona, July

I'm on the reserved list for tickets. They will email me when they go on sale.
Homestead

Races we will attend if things work out.
Charlotte, October
Martinsville November

Those kids will be out of your hair one day!
I'm enjoying the hell out of it while I still have them @ home. Got one in college that only sleeps @ home. Another working her butt off for a sports scholarship planning on going away to college in a couple years. Daytona will come soon enough for my wife and I. I'm in no rush. I hate wishing life away.

I'm enjoying the hell out of it while I still have them @ home. Got one in college that only sleeps @ home. Another working her butt off for a sports scholarship planning on going away to college in a couple years. Daytona will come soon enough for my wife and I. I'm in no rush. I hate wishing life away.

At 71, it's all about the grand kids and I am loving it. Youngest is 4 1/2 mo. and I get her this weekend. :)

Back
Top Bottom