Penske expands Xfinity team for '17

Kiante

Team Owner
Looks like someone will be in the 12 car, but it's a matter of who is going to be that next driver for Penske?
Driver and sponsorship will be announced later, this is quite exciting.
Honestly on the heels of SHR announcing a team of their own, it's not a surprise here.
http://www.motorsport.com/nascar-xs/news/penske-to-expand-nascar-xfinity-program-in-2017-806866/
Ryan Getting his old number back. :D

images

Boo yeah awesome so excited to have a couple more dogs in the fight on Saturdays between this and the SHR Mustang :). so hopefully Custer? and maybe Reddick? or we could steal somebody like William Byron ;) what do you say @Revman

From what I have read, it sounds like this drive to have more young talent ( catch up with Toyota) has the support of Ford and they may be the force behind this move to add cars.
The absence of GM is deafening as only RCR seems to be competing and even they
have cut back. JRM seems to have stopped any development and are now only a rental team.

Boo yeah awesome so excited to have a couple more dogs in the fight on Saturdays between this and the SHR Mustang :). so hopefully Custer? and maybe Reddick? or we could steal somebody like William Byron ;) what do you say @Revman

You keep your hands off my drivers! Errrrr......might have one or two coming, however, after we took Matt and Carl. ;)

From what I have read, it sounds like this drive to have more young talent ( catch up with Toyota) has the support of Ford and they may be the force behind this move to add cars.
The absence of GM is deafening as only RCR seems to be competing and even they
have cut back. JRM seems to have stopped any development and are now only a rental team.

Allgaier and Sadler had funding. Remember the Chase Elloitt deal was a last minute thing with NAPA. Josh Berry is a sponsor away from being full-time, but money is just so important now in days.

I would not be surprised to see two new drivers for them. With the SHR split being place Custer, Harvick and Bowyer will not drive for him with the Ford relationship put in place.

I wish JRM did not hire pay drivers, but it is what it is. JRM should consist of Berry, Bowman, and John Hunter as of right now.

Allgaier and Sadler had funding. Remember the Chase Elloitt deal was a last minute thing with NAPA. Josh Berry is a sponsor away from being full-time, but money is just so important now in days.

I would not be surprised to see two new drivers for them. With the SHR split being place Custer, Harvick and Bowyer will not drive for him with the Ford relationship put in place.

I wish JRM did not hire pay drivers, but it is what it is. JRM should consist of Berry, Bowman, and John Hunter as of right now.

Somebody better grab JH & Bowman for sure is Berry good? I don't know anything about him

Somebody better grab JH & Bowman for sure is Berry good? I don't know anything about him

Dude has been tearing it up in CARS Tour, but Speedco just is not enough to get him a seat at JRM.

@AndyMarquisLive knows more about him, but I remember watching him and he's always up front. I'd rather see him given a full-season instead of just a handful of races.

Is RCR going to have an xfinity program next year? Maybe Brandon jones, John hunter, and a mix of drivers in the 2?

Is RCR going to have an xfinity program next year? Maybe Brandon jones, John hunter, and a mix of drivers in the 2?

yeah exactly what I was thinking but gonna need more than Menards for sponsors

They have rheem too, but yea still need more than those two

They have rheem too, but yea still need more than those two

Yeah I guess I'm assuming Rheem/wesco/Bass pro/yuengling/ etc. maybe would go to cup with TY. Or maybe they find somebody else for TY in cup....I miss the good old days of one sponsor.

They should sign JHN like the rumor had it a while back. kind of like Ryan Blaney they seem to be better in stock cars than their dads.

Joe and Dave were in teams that were respectfully declining.

Bill Davis and remember Joe won at MB2, it's not that thier dad's were bad in NASCAR, but just bad timing with mid-field teams on the outs.

Joe and Dave were in teams that were respectfully declining.

Bill Davis and remember Joe won at MB2, it's not that thier dad's were bad in NASCAR, but just bad timing with mid-field teams on the outs.

yeah Joe was ok really. I think he had 4 cup wins overall. and Dave almost won in the 22 and 77 cars. I just think these kids are really top drivers hard to judge though between timing, competition and equipment.

I sure liked what Blaney did in the rain yesterday. Got a little to excited a couple times but he did great.

Team Penske has appointed Greg Erwin crew chief of the Xfinity series #22 replacing Brian Wilson, who will remain with Team Penske. This year has been a great disappointment for the 22, which has typically been the top-performing Xfinity Series car, IMO. But in 2016, the Gibbs boys have stepped it up while the Penske 22 seems to have fallen behind. Article.

This move had to be made and should have been done weeks ago. Don't mess with success and they did have a good thing going between 3 drivers.

During the truck race last night, one of the FS1 guys said Daniel Hemric has a BIG announcement coming soon, subject to getting a few i's dotted and t's crossed. I wonder if that announcement will be a seat in the second Penske Xfinity car for 2017? It's possible. I think Hemric is a quality prospect.

During the truck race last night, one of the FS1 guys said Daniel Hemric has a BIG announcement coming soon, subject to getting a few i's dotted and t's crossed. I wonder if that announcement will be a seat in the second Penske Xfinity car for 2017? It's possible. I think Hemric is a quality prospect.

Reddick's stock has dropped. He's fast, but he's so erratic and Hemric has been that consistent second driver that BKR has been needing since Blaney left. Hemric in the truck second car in Xfinity full-time would be great for Penske. He has money and plenty of skill, hopefully if he's the one to step up he continues to improve.

Perhaps I'm totally off base on Reddick getting the ride, but I feel like it's gonna be Hornish or Bowman (though I'm sure there would be a plan for him) warming the seat for a year or two before Austin Cindric gets the ride.

Perhaps I'm totally off base on Reddick getting the ride, but I feel like it's gonna be Hornish or Bowman (though I'm sure there would be a plan for him) warming the seat for a year or two before Austin Cindric gets the ride.

There is no way in hell it's Hornish. just saying his days of full time rides are over.

There is no way in hell it's Hornish. just saying his days of full time rides are over.

I'm just trying to think who gets the ride. Reddick might by default but I was disappointed in his first 16 this year. And if his days of full time is by choice I respect that, but with the way Brian Scott has performed in the 9/44, he did pretty well for himself last year.

it appears Penske dropped the ball on Hemric. But just like in the past he probably has a plan. look at the moves he's made Blaney over Kligerman. Logano and Keselowski.

My hope is Bowman but who knows what will happen with him being Dale Jr's retirement replacement.

Bowman wasn't first choice for Dale. He is actually Jeff's replacement. I doubt HMS has anything on paper to make him their property. JMO

Bowman wasn't first choice for Dale. He is actually Jeff's replacement. I doubt HMS has anything on paper to make him their property. JMO

Really He might be a good investment hypothetically he could run one year in xfinity and then take over the 21. If Ryan moves to a 3rd Penske car. By 2020 he could be in a 4th Penske car...

He certainly has done a great job so far. I think he will have some offers from lower teams in cup. I hope he has patience to wait for a better ride.

Maybe Penske is putting Menard in an Xfinity ride? Not likely but would explain the rumors of a new team and the fact Menard has been floated to Penske for a while. Otherwise I have no clue. Penske has zero interest in Reddick, as evidenced by the fact he's never filled in the 22 when he was available, and Hemric is gone. Maybe they will go off the cuff and pick a truck guy with money like a Ben Rhodes or Cameron Hayley

Back
Top Bottom