Possible New rules coming for All-Star Race

jws926

I need to think of something new for here
From Jayski via ESPN
New rules coming for All-Star Race? More behind the scenes are the changes to the aero rules to try to improve the already much-better racing this season. There have been minor tweaks a few times this year, and it sounds as if there will be more set for the Sprint All-Star Race next week. "It seems everything is changing for that race -- we have race cars and the format is different," said Joey Logano when asked about the All-Star Race. "I am sure you guys in the media center will be plenty busy with plenty to write about." In light of the Logano remarks, it would seem that the NASCSAR drivers know something that hasn't been announced. NASCAR won't confirm nor deny that it will introduce new rules for the Sprint All-Star Race, but the garage is buzzing about a potential change that will impact the aerodynamics and side forces of the car. It wasn't clear if the changes Logano alluded to will be for the All-Star Race this year, will be used in points events or looking ahead to 2017. NASCAR last year had hoped to experiment with some new rules for 2016 at the 2015 All-Star Race and then scrapped that decision.(ESPN.com)(5-15-2016)

Interesting. Keep cutting the spoiler down and Saturday night will be a show.

NASCAR is introducing new rules to reduce downforce and sideforce on Sprint Cup cars with a goal of slowing speeds and, in theory, enhancing competition.

Beginning with Saturday night’s Sprint All-Star Race at Charlotte Motor Speedway, teams can no longer use brake-cooling fans. The fans put air on brake systems for cooling purposes, but they also generate additional downforce. The change goes into effect for the All-Star Race but also will be used for the rest of the Sprint Cup schedule.

Sideforce also will be reduced – but for the All-Star weekend only – by eliminating adjustments to the cars’ rear toe. Teams have been allowed to start races with the rear toe set .3 degrees to the right, but that measurement now will be set at zero.

The reductions in downforce and sideforce are intended to slow corner speeds and put more control of the cars in the drivers’ hands, officials say.

The All-Star Race has seen a raft of changes over the years, and this season’s version lines up perfectly with that concept.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ges-all-star-race-nascar-sprint-cup/84437456/

Per Pockrass NASCAR is trying to decrease side-force by eliminating rear scew. The cars are to have no rear scew when going through pre-race inspection.

Bob PockrassVerified account‏@bobpockrass 7m7 minutes ago
NASCAR will require cars to have no rear skew at the start of the Sprint Showdown and Sprint All-Star Race this... http://es.pn/1TSnU8Z

No fans???? :eek:

Does that mean that at places like martinsville we will go back to brake failures?

Take note
NASCAR will require cars to have no rear skew at the start of the Sprint Showdown and Sprint All-Star Race this...

So no big deal if the rear end shifts huh?

No brake fans means more cooked beads and more tire failures especially with the softer compounds Goodyear wants to bring. I like less downforce but we already had issues with this at Phoenix and I don't want Goodyear to back off bringing a racy compound just so they can survive.

paging @aunty dive I wonder how much downforce these fans actually provide
I have no idea. And I'm not sure they're talking about brake cooling fans. Teams increase downforce by taping over brake ducts and the fans are shut off.

There are fans used to cool the driver and the seat area. Look at the big NACA ducts in the driver's side quarter windows. They might be playing with those.

45769-naca-window-ducts-bucik%2520skylark%2520and%2520race%2520car%2520013-jpg

Last edited:
I have no idea. And I'm not sure they're talking about brake cooling fans. Teams increase downforce by taping over brake ducts and the fans are shut off.

There are fans used to cool the driver and the seat area. Look at the big NACA ducts in the driver's side quarter windows. They might be playing with those.

45769-naca-window-ducts-bucik%2520skylark%2520and%2520race%2520car%2520013-jpg
Yeah they showed somebody's in-car yesterday and those were taped off. Talked about it briefly.

Idk how I feel about no fans.

Clearly NASCAR had other ideas in mind for reducing more downforce than all of us did. I wonder if they can put a percentage on how much more will be taken away with these changes.

I like that they often use the all star race to try things.

One of my favorites was including a pit stop in the qualifying process. I'm not sure if they dropped the pit road speed limit since there would not be any other cars/pit crews on pit road (a throw back to the old days - coming in hot).

Now if only NASCAR would also allow an increase of at least 150 horsepower.

Yeah they showed somebody's in-car yesterday and those were taped off. Talked about it briefly.

Keep in mind at Dover no passenger side window is required. But at the larger tracks where they do run a side window the cars get way hotter inside. There's no way NASCAR is banning the drivers' fans. It'd be a safety concern and the drivers would pitch a fit.

The AC unit that feeds cold air to the helmet is very effective.

Keep in mind at Dover no passenger side window is required. But at the larger tracks where they do run a side window the cars get way hotter inside. There's no way NASCAR is banning the drivers' fans. It'd be a safety concern and the drivers would pitch a fit.
Right side window is in at Charlotte with no ducting and everybody has 1 duct in the LR window ... not 3 or 4.

Hmmm ...

Right side window is in at Charlotte with no ducting and everybody has 1 duct in the LR window ... not 3 or 4.

Hmmm ...
And then a duel duct in the right side speedway window

Hmmm ...
yeah the drivers were talking about no brake ducts on the radios.

Why are they giving rear toe back for the 600?

Wasn't there another change relating to the left rear quarter panels? I remember seeing something to the effect that NASCAR would be fabricating identical flat panels to use for the ASR only. Hope that stays as well.

Wasn't there another change relating to the left rear quarter panels? I remember seeing something to the effect that NASCAR would be fabricating identical flat panels to use for the ASR only. Hope that stays as well.

Didn't hear that.

They announced earlier on that zero applied only to the ASR. Sort of a test, I'd guess.

What might they have found that would have them give it back? Tire wear issues?

The ASR has turned into a race to use experimental setups from NASCAR. It was said a while back that a new package would be used for just the all star race, which includes the rear toe change. Now that the ASR is over, the package will return to what we have seen all season.

The ASR has turned into a race to use experimental setups from NASCAR. It was said a while back that a new package would be used for just the all star race, which includes the rear toe change. Now that the ASR is over, the package will return to what we have seen all season.

They didn't give the fans back did they?

I find it funny they think people really care about watching millionaires make a another million. They do not need all these stupid rules just have a few heat races and maybe give an automatic bid in the chase. I mean the chase is a complete joke IMO anyway.

I would say tire wear would be reduced slightly. Giving the toe back was apparently always the plan. Some sort of test I suppose, but I don't understand the purpose and as usual, no plausible explanation was offered.

This is a mechanical grip thing. Why do something to reduce that?

Ooooh I have a great terrible idea for the all star race. To steal from baseball the winner of the Allstar race gets to pick the track for the season finale.

This is a mechanical grip thing. Why do something to reduce that?

Great point. Kenny Wallace said he didn't know what the purpose was either. Good stuff.

Rear skew is mechanical grip only? Not related to side force?

Rear skew is mechanical grip only? Not related to side force?
Right rear toed out / left rear toed in ... Each by half a degree or so. Affects chassis dynamics / mechanical grip only. Forced to zero degrees on each side by rule for the All Star race only.

Complete rear end housing skewed to the right relative to chassis center- line. Affects chassis and aerodynamics. Still permitted by rule. Two different things.

I assume they did
The 'fan change' remains in effect. It only started with the All Star Race.

Beginning with Saturday night’s Sprint All-Star Race at Charlotte Motor Speedway, teams can no longer use brake-cooling fans. The fans put air on brake systems for cooling purposes, but they also generate additional downforce. The change goes into effect for the All-Star Race but also will be used for the rest of the Sprint Cup schedule.

Back
Top Bottom