Old Chase threads

It is doing what it is designed to do. Made a hot head out of a cool operator, and exploded a couple of hot heads. They didn't ride around until the last 25 laps, they raced hard the whole race. Ironic that a couple of the drivers with slower cars are right in the thick of it. Newman and Edwards

It is doing what it is designed to do. Made a hot head out of a cool operator, and exploded a couple of hot heads. They didn't ride around until the last 25 laps, they raced hard the whole race. Ironic that a couple of the drivers with slower cars are right in the thick of it. Newman and Edwards

Funny how things sometimes equalize themselves, as it's well known that RFR and RCR cars aren't up to par but maybe the drivers are.

I'm absolutely LOVING it :D Although I'll probably not be so cheerful after next Sunday lol

I would like for Nascar of somebody to explain how the 20 team got penalized for adding a piece of tape or a decal to the rear of the car, I thought they had permission..without any post race shows for the most part, we are left in the dark, the twitter reporters go home without the story. Whatever happened, it put Kenseth in the rear of the pack and that changed the outcome of not only the race but how he ran the race. Big deal IMO

Funny how things sometimes equalize themselves, as it's well known that RFR and RCR cars aren't up to par but maybe the drivers are.

I'm absolutely LOVING it :D Although I'll probably not be so cheerful after next Sunday lol
I wouldn't be surprised to see Kenseth go out and make it 2 for 2 at Dega for JGR this weekend

Drama, hell yeah! Eff the Chase all you want but that was some pretty good stuff again last night. Tempers flare. Lot's of emotion that probably wouldn't have been expressed if it weren't for this years battle for the Championship. Like the Chase or not it's creating some excitement that wouldn't otherwise be there.

careful dp.......that's a nasty word on here !! :D

I wouldn't be surprised to see Kenseth go out and make it 2 for 2 at Dega for JGR this weekend

I'd be happy with the #20 making the next round but he'll have to beat #48 and #88 to win this one. Don't be surprised to see Allgaier in victory lane next week.

I don't think for one second that the Chase format had anything to do with this weekend's drama. It has happened in the past and will happen again in the future no matter what the points format is.
I disagree... I dont think Kenseth would have been so angry had there not been such big championship implications.

DP, I will admit it does have me paying way closer attention to details than ever before. I kind of like the change with the brackets, but, I am not crazy about the results the bracket system has on top year long performers being based on a few races, for the kind of sport this is, that is hard to take.

Looking at the grand stands at the last race, apparently the Bracket style chase is not getting butt's in seats at the track. Turn out at Charlotte was sad to see.

However I am betting the Dega race will have a high TV rating score with an almost sold out crowd in the stands.

Quick note, a change that would make good sense to me is, When you drop out of a bracket then your points are set back to standard points all the way to the final 4. At that time anyone from 5th to 43rd has a shot of at least the top 10 for the year.

DP, I will admit it does have me paying way closer attention to details than ever before. I kind of like the change with the brackets, but, I am not crazy about the results the bracket system has on top year long performers being based on a few races, for the kind of sport this is, that is hard to take.

Looking at the grand stands at the last race, apparently the Bracket style chase is not getting butt's in seats at the track. Turn out at Charlotte was sad to see.

However I am betting the Dega race will have a high TV rating score with an almost sold out crowd in the stands.

Quick note, a change that would make good sense to me is, When you drop out of a bracket then your points are set back to standard points all the way to the final 4. At that time anyone from 5th to 43rd has a shot of at least the top 10 for the year.
I agree with all of this except the last part... no driver that doesnt make the chase should be able to finish 5th in points.

agree w/ final points p5- 43 . good ex this yr is larson .

No matter what they do with the Chase, there'll always be that one guy that gets left out - unless they let everyone in.

That used to be what 11th in points was for when they first came up with the Chase and only ten guys got in. I think whoever came in 11th got like a million dollars and a seat at the banquet. Correct me if I'm wrong because I could be pulling that out of my butt.

Bracket or no bracket, those at the bottom of the 12 still taking part in the Chase would have simply been eliminated by their low point totals in the old version of the Chase. They simply aren't getting it done. My driver included.

Regardless of which Chase system they use, the weekend at the races is a tough dollar for most folks to afford. I know I can't go to as many races as I once did. Four of those empty seats you see @ Richmond each spring and fall were my family. Same for the Dover spring race. Also for both Bristol races. I've got a lot of friends that have also cut back on going to the track for the same reasons. We are all still avid NASCAR fans though and go to the ones that we can afford. Pretty soon we'll probably be down to just the Martinsville races.

It's an investment to be an attending NASCAR fan. It's not like going to the ballpark to watch your local team play. Just the other day I was looking into purchasing a 20 game ticket plan for the Pittsburgh Pirates. Two tickets in their nosebleed section came to $588. 20 games for $588. How many races could my wife and I attend for $588? I'd easily spend the $588 for the fuel, RV spot and two cheapest tickets. That deal for the Pirates looks far sweeter.

I'd have to agree to disagree on the last change you mentioned. Those that made the Chase earned their way into that position. I think they've got it set up just fine with only those 12 competing for those positions 5-10.

Bracket or no bracket, those at the bottom of the 12 still taking part in the Chase would have simply been eliminated by their low point totals in the old version of the Chase. They simply aren't getting it done. My driver included.

Regardless of which Chase system they use, the weekend at the races is a tough dollar for most folks to afford. I know I can't go to as many races as I once did. Four of those empty seats you see @ Richmond each spring and fall were my family. Same for the Dover spring race. Also for both Bristol races. I've got a lot of friends that have also cut back on going to the track for the same reasons. We are all still avid NASCAR fans though and go to the ones that we can afford. Pretty soon we'll probably be down to just the Martinsville races.

It's an investment to be an attending NASCAR fan. It's not like going to the ballpark to watch your local team play. Just the other day I was looking into purchasing a 20 game ticket plan for the Pittsburgh Pirates. Two tickets in their nosebleed section came to $588. 20 games for $588. How many races could my wife and I attend for $588? I'd easily spend the $588 for the fuel, RV spot and two cheapest tickets. That deal for the Pirates looks far sweeter.

I'd have to agree to disagree on the last change you mentioned. Those that made the Chase earned their way into that position. I think they've got it set up just fine with only those 12 competing for those positions 5-10.

In regards to attending the races, I also have all but stopped going to live events, two of the seats at the 600 in Charlotte were filled by my wife and I for 15 years, the last 4 years we attended, we joined the speedway club and had a blast, but, with the increase in everything but disposable cash, that, I am sad to say has come to an end. We will make the Atlanta Race every other year or so. I sell my Daytona July race tickets, great seats by the way, tower just to the right of the start finish line, had them since the first night race for the July event. Same guy has been buying them every year for a long time now, face value. Made it to 6 Bristol night races, but, again the RV rental, Gas, Tickets etc. went way out of reason. Dega twice, Daytona 500 4 times, saw Dale Sr. win there and pass away there, we have not been to another one since he passed. Miami Homestead a bunch of times, but, no more. Daytona and Homestead are both only 150 miles from my home.

My wife and I fill our live race need at Desoto Speedway in Bradenton on the Saturday nights when the Super Late Models run. Great show excellent value.3/8 mile high bank oval. Cost 26 bucks for both of us, Plus on Fathers and Mothers day weekends 1/2 price.

A lot of race fans have seen their discretionary funds dwindle in resent years, as you stated above that's a lot of Ball games for the buck.

Oh please . They get mad at Daytona .
Exactly. My biggest knock on the ABC guys Saturday night is how there were trying to attribute everything that happened post-race to being a direct result of the new chase format. I think it would have happened regardless. Even if it were because of the new format, I'd trade the WWE crap for a more legitimate championship in a second.

Exactly. My biggest knock on the ABC guys Saturday night is how there were trying to attribute everything that happened post-race to being a direct result of the new chase format. I think it would have happened regardless. Even if it were because of the new format, I'd trade the WWE crap for a more legitimate championship in a second.

harvick seemed to say the drama was related to the chase format
http://www.foxsports.com/nascar/sto...lotte-post-race-fracas-nascar-loves-it-101214

Anyone else here listen to Sirius/XM NASCAR Radio? I think it's funny as hell the calls that they get stating that if their driver falls out of the Chase this weekend then they have no reason to watch or even attend the races. My take..... That is complete BS! Those drivers that are getting ready to be eliminated this weekend, mine included, are there because they've sucked these past couple of weeks. Under any format that we've had it's been enough to all but eliminate them. Under any other format Brad D would have been sticking a big ass fork in them.

Anyone else here listen to Sirius/XM NASCAR Radio? I think it's funny as hell the calls that they get stating that if their driver falls out of the Chase this weekend then they have no reason to watch or even attend the races. My take..... That is complete BS! Those drivers that are getting ready to be eliminated this weekend, mine included, are there because they've sucked these past couple of weeks. Under any format that we've had it's been enough to all but eliminate them. Under any other format Brad D would have been sticking a big ass fork in them.
Wtf?! Why would anyone think that? Lol don't they know how this sport works? I mean... sponsor obligations.. testing for next season.. trying to win?! Lol.. Nah instead Kurt Busch and Greg Biffle can just sit at home and watch :rolleyes:

I have a question I've been pondering. Let's say Johnson gets eliminated this weekend (a very real possibility) then goes on a tear winning three of the last four races including Homestead. Kenseth & Harvick in the final four, Kenseth finishes second but leads no laps, and Harvick finishes third after leading the most laps. So who's the Champion?

I have a question I've been pondering. Let's say Johnson gets eliminated this weekend (a very real possibility) then goes on a tear winning three of the last four races including Homestead. Kenseth & Harvick in the final four, Kenseth finishes second but leads no laps, and Harvick finishes third after leading the most laps. So who's the Champion?

will ya be usin one of tha "real championship " point systems ?
or tha actual '14 nascar one ?

Kenseth. Points don't matter in that final race only the finishing position does.

No bonus points at Homestead.

What does the chase actually do? It makes the drivers try harder. I heard from folks on the board over and over that the drivers always pull out all the stops to win. Well, we know that's not true.

What's needed is a championship system that motivates drivers to put it all on the line, because clearly they haven't been doing so before this system went it.

What does the chase actually do? It makes the drivers try harder. I heard from folks on the board over and over that the drivers always pull out all the stops to win. Well, we know that's not true.

What's needed is a championship system that motivates drivers to put it all on the line, because clearly they haven't been doing so before this system went it.
Pretty sure thats what we have here... especially once we get to Homestead.

The one with the most points or best tie breaker.

Isn't that what everyone's been whining about though?

A system that rewards wins and consistency.. but wins more?
I thought this system was supposed to be all about winning?

I just find it funny that there were people who were gung-ho about this format that were all like "yeah, points racing is dead! Now everyone's pissed to finish second! I don't hear anyone saying they had a good points day anymore!" Clearly, the opposite is true, and points racing is alive and well. This format did nothing to get rid of it. Plenty of drivers have brought up the fact that you'll be perfectly fine just hanging around and getting decent finishes until Homestead.

In some small way, that makes me happy because as I just said, I'm one of those few that doesn't have a problem with points racing.

This system is the greatest. Wouldn't change a thing. I still have no clue how anyone would be against it.

This system is the greatest. Wouldn't change a thing. I still have no clue how anyone would be against it.
I guess it depends on what's important to you. If you're more a fan of the guaranteed "Game 7" type moment, then this format is probably right up your alley. If you're more a fan of the whole body of work over an entire season carrying more importance, then this format probably isn't for you.

I guess it depends on what's important to you. If you're more a fan of the guaranteed "Game 7" type moment, then this format is probably right up your alley. If you're more a fan of the whole body of work over an entire season carrying more importance, then this format probably isn't for you.

and your happy whining a$$ will be plopped in front of the TV watching every minute of it..:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom