Old Chase threads

The problem with the last ten years is that it neither rewarded an entire body of work, or provided a true "playoff" feel (which usually includes lots of drama, storylines, eliminations, game 7 moments, blah blah blah etc). It was a shade of grey in a world that probably needed to be black or white. Body of work, or a period of short term drama/pressure cookers. The long season followed by a shorter season format didn't seem to satisfy anyone's desires.

Pretty much, but the previous chases weren't as much of a gobbledygook as this one. This one's style over substance. If you're more a fan of style, you probably like it. If you're more a fan of substance, you probably don't.
I guess I don't follow the style vs. substance analogy but I can tell you that I am a huge NASCAR fan. I've been following this sport for a long time. Long before we were able to sit down and watch this on our Sunday afternoons. Nobody was more pissed than me in 2004 when the new Chase era began. It ruined everything that I believed in in determining a Champion. Gone was any comparison of Champions of the pre Chase era to the post Chase era IMO. Knowing that things were never going to go back to the way it was I had to finally come to accept the new way of determining a Champion. Now it's been altered again and yes, I like what I'm seeing. That's why I created this thread. It is far more exciting this year than it has ever been at this point of the season. And that is really what this is all about. Sports are entertainment and I am being entertained with watching some great racing and teams emotions at an all time high. My guy could be done, as far as being in the Championship hunt, after this weekend. Whether he is is in or out I'll still be watching this season waiting to see how it all play out. I feel a little bad for those of you that are having such a hard time with this. You'll all eventually leave the sport or accept it. If you can't accept it and still stick around then I guess you'll all have to be happy being miserable.

I guess I don't follow the style vs. substance analogy but I can tell you that I am a huge NASCAR fan. I've been following this sport for a long time. Long before we were able to sit down and watch this on our Sunday afternoons. Nobody was more pissed than me in 2004 when the new Chase era began. It ruined everything that I believed in in determining a Champion. Gone was any comparison of Champions of the pre Chase era to the post Chase era IMO. Knowing that things were never going to go back to the way it was I had to finally come to accept the new way of determining a Champion. Now it's been altered again and yes, I like what I'm seeing. That's why I created this thread. It is far more exciting this year than it has ever been at this point of the season. And that is really what this is all about. Sports are entertainment and I am being entertained with watching some great racing and teams emotions at an all time high. My guy could be done, as far as being in the Championship hunt, after this weekend. Whether he is is in or out I'll still be watching this season waiting to see how it all play out. I feel a little bad for those of you that are having such a hard time with this. You'll all eventually leave the sport or accept it. If you can't accept it and still stick around then I guess you'll all have to be happy being miserable.
Fair enough, dpk. I guess you and I jumped on/off the Chase train at different times: I actually didn't mind the previous chase formats and actually quite enjoyed the '11-'13 version, but for the life of me I just can't get into the current one. But I know there are a lot of people who are enjoying it.

I guess I'll just treat this version of the chase like an elevator full of clowns....I'll wait for the next one. ;)

I respect your opinion even though I obviously disagree with it, dp. If you like the new system, hey, that's cool.

I guess what I'm not understanding is this narrative that I keep hearing from some folks on the pro-2014 Chase side that says that those of us who dislike it are just a bunch of whiners who only have the following choices: accept and like the new format, dislike the new format but continue to watch NASCAR and be miserable doing so, or stop watching NASCAR entirely.

There's plenty of room for a reasonable middle ground in there, and I've made my choice. I and others are fully capable of criticizing the format when the discussion comes up while still enjoying the racing. (You may have heard me say this in a slightly different way a time or two on here. ;)) If I were truly miserable watching NASCAR every week, I'd turn off the TV and find something else to do on Sunday afternoons.

@StandOnIt, the fact that some of disagree with you doesn't make us miserable whiny a$$es, wankers, or anything else. The name calling is unnecessary IMO.

it does to me, whine away. Got one that stated he doesn't even watch the races..you too BTW.
So riddle me this....you're the one on here who's always pissing and moaning about stick-n-ball, yet you're vehemently defending a postseason format that's trying to be exactly like stick-n-ball? :idunno:

I'm not defending nothing but the racing. It is the best it has been in years, the chase is a system, and so far IMO it has made for better racing. I don't throw the baby out with the bath water. So far IMO this particular playoff format has produced so good racing..FYI have you heard one chronic whiner bitch about the last 1.5 they just raced at? Not one cookie cutter, yawn, boring has been uttered on here during or after the race?

I respect your opinion even though I obviously disagree with it, dp. If you like the new system, hey, that's cool.

I guess what I'm not understanding is this narrative that I keep hearing from some folks on the pro-2014 Chase side that says that those of us who dislike it are just a bunch of whiners who only have the following choices: accept and like the new format, dislike the new format but continue to watch NASCAR and be miserable doing so, or stop watching NASCAR entirely.

There's plenty of room for a reasonable middle ground in there, and I've made my choice. I and others are fully capable of criticizing the format when the discussion comes up while still enjoying the racing. (You may have heard me say this in a slightly different way a time or two on here. ;)) If I were truly miserable watching NASCAR every week, I'd turn off the TV and find something else to do on Sunday afternoons.

@StandOnIt, the fact that some of disagree with you doesn't make us miserable whiny a$$es, wankers, or anything else. The name calling is unnecessary IMO.
Fair enough. Before too long maybe you will be able to enjoy the idea of the post season as well. I've been where you are and it wasn't as fun as it can be.

Well said. The only part I don't understand is where you try to reason with Standin****.

I enjoyed the drama last week, other than the 4 idiots putting people in danger, including themselves (Matt). Hopefully, nascar put an end to that.

Isn't that what everyone's been whining about though?

A system that rewards wins and consistency.. but wins more?
There are better ways to do that though. I think the best bet would be to use the FIA points system or a variation of it. The battle between Keselowski, Gordon, and Logano would be ridiculous right now.

No true, or “real,” champion will be crowned until a fan vote weighs heavily in the final outcome.

Voting fans must be Sprint customers and may get triple vote values based on the number of minutes burnt on their various electronic devices casting said votes.

Your battery life may vary. Offer void where prohibited by law.

Fair enough, dpk. I guess you and I jumped on/off the Chase train at different times: I actually didn't mind the previous chase formats and actually quite enjoyed the '11-'13 version, but for the life of me I just can't get into the current one. But I know there are a lot of people who are enjoying it.

I guess I'll just treat this version of the chase like an elevator full of clowns....I'll wait for the next one. ;)

might wanna reconsider ?? clowns get off at martinsville next week !

No true, or “real,” champion will be crowned until a fan vote weighs heavily in the final outcome.

Voting fans must be Sprint customers and may get triple vote values based on the number of minutes burnt on their various electronic devices casting said votes.

Your battery life may vary. Offer void where prohibited by law.

This post is better than any ESPN classic moment.

How about that baseball fans? Two wildcard teams are going to face off against each other in the World Series. First time in the history of the sport that the two teams competing against each other in the World Series where each team had a regular season win total of less than 80 games. Heck, the best teams are going to be sitting home watching this one. I wonder if MLB has to be second guessing their post season?

Sorry. I thought I was in the Sports and Entertainment section of the forum. My apologies. ;)

How about that baseball fans? Two wildcard teams are going to face off against each other in the World Series. First time in the history of the sport that the two teams competing against each other in the World Series where each team had a regular season win total of less than 80 games. Heck, the best teams are going to be sitting home watching this one. I wonder if MLB has to be second guessing their post season?

Sorry. I thought I was in the Sports and Entertainment section of the forum. My apologies. ;)
:XXROFL:

I was waiting for someone to bring this up...

Stick and ball playoffs are different from the Chase for many reasons that have already been covered here ad nauseum, so I won't rehash.

I was waiting for someone to bring this up...

Stick and ball playoffs are different from the Chase for many reasons that have already been covered here ad nauseum, so I won't rehash.

Major difference: David Ortiz couldn't show up in a Sox uniform, hit a home run and damage the chances of the Royals or the Giants winning.

In NASCAR, a non-Chase guy could cause the Big One and knock out a substantial number of contenders.

"whole season " doesn't matter ?

no "real champion " this yr i guess ?

mlb is ruined !

Back
Top Bottom