Old Chase threads

"whole season " doesn't matter ?

no "real champion " this yr i guess ?

mlb is ruined !

Yeah waaaa I quit watching years ago when they CHANGED the format. used to be the real winner of the American and National league. Now they have playoffs from all over the place divisions? and wild cards?..what a mess The true winner doesn't win.

Baseball must be damn good . Nascar wants to copy them . Still waitin for the seventh inning stretch. :)

Yet they couldn't stop their traps from talking about it during the practices today.

Now that I think about it, I do remember every team playing every other team an equal number of times at every single park in baseball.

/s

Now that I think about it, I do remember every team playing every other team an equal number of times at every single park in baseball.

/s
That's what screwed the Orioles against the Royals, you know. One of the damn Cleveland Indians was on the field and caught what was a sure base hit, then threw it to the Seattle Mariner on 2nd and turned a double play.

My guy got eliminated yesterday but I'm still like what I'm watching. That was a good race yesterday that was made better by the current format of the Chase. I'm not a Keselowski fan but it was cool to see him win his way into the next round.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-nascar-tv-ratings-20141019-story.html

Oh my...more justification for the Brain to tinker with things in the off season

From the article

There were several reasons why TV ratings should have jumped for NASCAR's race at Charlotte a week ago.

The Charlotte race was part of NASCAR's revamped Sprint Cup Series' Chase for the Cup title playoff, with a new knockout format that eliminates drivers during the playoff in hopes of boosting the excitement of the championship hunt. The competitive race was followed by a scuffle between drivers Matt Kenseth and Brad Keselowski in the garage as TV cameras rolled.

Related: NASCAR fines Brad Keselowski, Tony Stewart for Charlotte incidents
Jim Peltz

However, TV viewership of the Charlotte race fell 8.3% from a year earlier, to 5.10 million, and its TV rating fell to 3.1 from 3.4, according to Nielsen.

It's a familiar story.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-nascar-tv-ratings-20141019-story.html

Oh my...more justification for the Brain to tinker with things in the off season

From the article

There were several reasons why TV ratings should have jumped for NASCAR's race at Charlotte a week ago.

The Charlotte race was part of NASCAR's revamped Sprint Cup Series' Chase for the Cup title playoff, with a new knockout format that eliminates drivers during the playoff in hopes of boosting the excitement of the championship hunt. The competitive race was followed by a scuffle between drivers Matt Kenseth and Brad Keselowski in the garage as TV cameras rolled.

Related: NASCAR fines Brad Keselowski, Tony Stewart for Charlotte incidents
Jim Peltz

However, TV viewership of the Charlotte race fell 8.3% from a year earlier, to 5.10 million, and its TV rating fell to 3.1 from 3.4, according to Nielsen.

It's a familiar story.
This isn't anything new. The ratings have been dropping for years.

Last edited:
One would have thought that the chase would help
The chase was supposed to be the magic elixir that cured the ratings slide, but the ratings have been in even more of a nosedive this year than in recent years past. Add to that the fact that two of the sport's most popular stars (Dale Jr and Gordon) had their best seasons in years, which is even more reason the ratings should have gone up. The new format ain't workin'.

TALLADEGA, Ala. — NASCAR chairman and CEO Brian France has a lot to smile about these days. His new Chase for the Sprint Cup format is generating excitement, drama and "Game 7 moments" – like the one Sunday at Talladega Superspeedway, when Brad Keselowski faced a win-or-go-home situation and won.

There's more drama ahead, when the remaining eight drivers have three races — Martinsville Speedway, Texas Motor Speedway and Phoenix International Raceway — to determine which four reach the championship race at Homestead-Miami Speedway.

One did. His name was Brian France.

Here's a link to jayski's television ratings page. It's easy enough to see that ratings are done for almost ever single race, Chase race or not. Not as many people watching these days yet NBC and FOX continue to pony up tons of $'s. Go figure.

fox / nbc paid big $$ startin '15 ....for 10 yrs......cause they needed "live content " ta build out new fs1 & nbcsn cable channels ----ta compete w/ espn.

even tho ratins are down.....those #'s will be huge on those new channels.

mobile is gonna surpass tv anyway before long. only ole farts like me will still be watchin tv !

TALLADEGA, Ala. — NASCAR chairman and CEO Brian France has a lot to smile about these days. His new Chase for the Sprint Cup format is generating excitement, drama and "Game 7 moments" – like the one Sunday at Talladega Superspeedway, when Brad Keselowski faced a win-or-go-home situation and won.

There's more drama ahead, when the remaining eight drivers have three races — Martinsville Speedway, Texas Motor Speedway and Phoenix International Raceway — to determine which four reach the championship race at Homestead-Miami Speedway.

i hear nascar met w/ mlb honchos today for dual playoff eulogy ( poor ratins ) ;
yankees / red sox / angels / orioles --- out
88 / 48 / 5 / 18 ---- out

thank goodness they got plenty "watch tha race " fans left ! ha!

This is pure garbage aimed at non race fans . Most of us would know that every race car driver in every racing series face a win-or-go-home situation in every race they run . That's the whole reason they love to race . They love to win .

This is pure garbage aimed at non race fans . Most of us would know that every race car driver in every racing series face a win-or-go-home situation in every race they run . That's the whole reason they love to race . They love to win .
Haven't you heard Ted, nobody wanted to win until this new Chase format was introduced. ;)

Eliminator Round: The eight drivers will battle at Martinsville Speedway, Texas Motor Speedway and Phoenix International Raceway for the four spots available in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Championship. A win at any of the three races equals advancement into the next round. The rest of the field of four will be determined by order of points scored in the three races. After this round, each advancing driver will be reset to 5,000 points.

Tiebreaker: If any position comes down to a tiebreaker, only the three races in the Eliminator Round matter. Wins and finishes in the regular season won't, so the drivers will need to run up front to challenge for the win. If they can't win, they'll need to have more second-place finishes, third-place finishes, etc. than their competitors in order to break the tie and advance. If two drivers have the exact same finishes, the tiebreaker then goes to the driver who scored the best finish first.

Points note: Drivers who don't advance to the next round will have their point totals reset to the Chase-start base of 2,000 (with any regular-season wins bonus points), plus the additional points they've earned during the Chase.

I have goosebumps! :sarcasm:
It's finally here, what we've all been waiting for: the Chase for the NASCAR Sprint Cup with a new elmination-style format where there will be plenty of nail-biting excitement throughout the next 10 races. So, let's see -- we've got our TV and favorite chair in the correct position, or tickets to the races; the pantry and our coolers are stocked with our favorite snacks and beverages, and social media is queued up with our favorite #MyChaseNation driver hashtag ready to send out to our friends to celebrate.

I just want to publicly say I hate the new chase format. It is a complete joke and a slap in the face to drivers and teams who have won multiple races, consistent good finishes but because of 1 race, yes, 1 race, they could lose the championship. It's like all the 35 races were null and void, just practice. Only 1 race matters to NASCAR. This is a joke!
They can hand a guy a championship trophy who has never won a race with this new format. NASCAR always shouted... We want wins to count and matter, well evidently not with this new format.
Wait till next year when the format will be different again.
The series needs new leadership. They need to work on improving their actual product and that is racing. Which means on the track. None of these off-track shenanigans they come up with.

I have said it before...... THE ONLY THING CONSISTENT WITH NASCAR IS INCONSISTENCY

I just want to publicly say I hate the new chase format. It is a complete joke and a slap in the face to drivers and teams who have won multiple races, consistent good finishes but because of 1 race, yes, 1 race, they could lose the championship. It's like all the 35 races were null and void, just practice. Only 1 race matters to NASCAR. This is a joke!
They can hand a guy a championship trophy who has never won a race with this new format. NASCAR always shouted... We want wins to count and matter, well evidently not with this new format.
The series needs new leadership. They need to work on improving their actual product and that is racing. Which means on the track. None of these off-track shenanigans they come up with.

I have said it before...... THE ONLY THING CONSISTENT WITH NASCAR IS INCONSISTENCY
With you 100%, DanicaFan. I was never a chase-hater until this year. Worst thing about this format is how divisive it is. People either really love it or really hate it, there's not much middle ground.

2014 Chase = Epic fail.

If the chase had the same rules as last year.....Here is how it would look....

Here is how they stand after Race 6 of the chase at Talladega....

OLD FORMAT

1. Joey Logano - 2257
2. Kevin Harvick -2240
3. Brad Keselowski - 2225
4. Jeff Gordon - 2210
5. Ryan Newman - 2208
6. Kyle Busch- 2197
7. Matt Kenseth - 2196
8. Carl Edwards - 2190
9. Jimmie Johnson- 2174
10. Kasey Kahne- 2169
11. Dale Earnhardt Jr - 2149
12. Greg Biffle - 2147

So it would mainly be between Joey and Kevin. Kez would have an outside shot, and Jeff would be on life support.

Then again, they all would have raced differently, even though they all always go for the win. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom