Old Chase threads

I'm assuming he wouldn't have been in the top 12 to start since he missed the California race.

Right. The drivers that were in this new chase format at the beginning, that would have not made it to the top 12 in the old format.... Denny Hamlin, Kurt Busch, AJ Allmendinger, and Aric Almirola

Part of me really wants Newman to win the title without even getting a win.
I'm actually rooting for Denny Hamlin to win the championship now. IMO, that would be a bigger farce than Newman or Kenseth winning it with no race wins. He'd be 17th in points right now without the Chase, and wouldn't have even qualified for the Chase under last year's rules. It could happen, too. Denny has been good at Martinsville in the past, although not as much in recent years. He has also won at Texas and Phoenix before. And he's been really good at Homestead, winning twice there including last year.

Got to Martinsville a couple days ago and I can't wait for this next round to start.

dang dp .......you went ta martinsville w/ all this anti chase sentiment floatin round .
bet tha few fans that made it are just moping around empty campground w/ their heads down .......expectin real dull racin this weekend .huh. like 1st 6 races in tha chase.

lotsa "winless newman " & "only 1 win " protest signs too prolly .

maybe ya can catch colts / steelers game on radio later sunday.
you have our sympathies / best wishes.

I just want to publicly say I hate the new chase format. It is a complete joke and a slap in the face to drivers and teams who have won multiple races, consistent good finishes but because of 1 race, yes, 1 race, they could lose the championship. It's like all the 35 races were null and void, just practice. Only 1 race matters to NASCAR. This is a joke!
They can hand a guy a championship trophy who has never won a race with this new format. NASCAR always shouted... We want wins to count and matter, well evidently not with this new format.
Wait till next year when the format will be different again.
The series needs new leadership. They need to work on improving their actual product and that is racing. Which means on the track. None of these off-track shenanigans they come up with.

I have said it before...... THE ONLY THING CONSISTENT WITH NASCAR IS INCONSISTENCY

I want Newman to win the Championship without a win this year . BUT , I want him to win being the first of the four contenders one lap down . It will be so funny to see them battling for the championship with none of them on the lead lap at Homestead. This dream state of all four of them winning races to make it to the final four ,then battling each other for the win at Homestead is such a pile of crap . I'm hoping Jimmie and Junior battle for the win with all the contenders one or more laps down.

I want Newman to win the Championship without a win this year . BUT , I want him to win being the first of the four contenders one lap down . It will be so funny to see them battling for the championship with none of them on the lead lap at Homestead. This dream state of all four of them winning races to make it to the final four ,then battling each other for the win at Homestead is such a pile of crap . I'm hoping Jimmie and Junior battle for the win with all the contenders one or more laps down.

newman win would be great ! see eliminator round thread for explanation.

I've got to say the old points format used 1975-2003 emphasized winning pretty well. I mean sure, consistency won championships, but seasons like Matt Kenseth's 2003 championship only occur when nobody else steps up enough to be champion. Teams would just completely go for broke for wins late in the season because most drivers were NATURALLY eliminated from championship contention.

The actual system in theory was great, the only change would probably have to be rewarding more points for wins, that's the easiest and best way to emphasize winning. Want to emphasize winning? Revert to the old points format and give a base of 50 points for a win, with 2 bonus points for winning the race and up to 3 bonus points for leading the most laps. Basically a max points day of 55, with everything else remaining the same except for the bonus points for leading the most laps being increased by a point. 3 points for leading the most laps, with 1 point being awarded to anyone leading any other quantity of laps.

I've got to say the old points format used 1975-2003 emphasized winning pretty well. I mean sure, consistency won championships, but seasons like Matt Kenseth's 2003 championship only occur when nobody else steps up enough to be champion. Teams would just completely go for broke for wins late in the season because most drivers were NATURALLY eliminated from championship contention.

The actual system in theory was great, the only change would probably have to be rewarding more points for wins, that's the easiest and best way to emphasize winning. Want to emphasize winning? Revert to the old points format and give a base of 50 points for a win, with 2 bonus points for winning the race and up to 3 bonus points for leading the most laps. Basically a max points day of 55, with everything else remaining the same except for the bonus points for leading the most laps being increased by a point. 3 points for leading the most laps, with 1 point being awarded to anyone leading any other quantity of laps.
I think the reason NASCAR never weighted wins that heavily is because they feared a driver might build up too big of a lead if they got hot and rattled off a bunch of wins. I think that's why we have the chase format we have now. It emphasizes wins, and Brian hitting the reset button every few races keeps the points close. He gets to have his cake and eat it too, even if it does dilute the championship.

The current standings with my system suggested above implemented. It does a pretty great job illustrating who's had the stronger overall seasons. The "+ and -" symbolize the difference with my system vs. the Latford system with the 43-1 point system in terms of the rankings. Logano could still win the championship over Gordon even if Gordon finished 2nd in all the remaining races.

1) #24-Jeff Gordon(C8), 1141
2) #22-Joey Logano(C1), 1110, -31
3) #2-Brad Keselowski(C3), 1084, -57
4) #4-Kevin Harvick(C2), 1049, -92 (+1)
5) #88-Dale Earnhardt Jr., 1042, -99 (-1)
6) #20-Matt Kenseth(C6), 994, -147
7) #48-Jimmie Johnson, 990, -151 (+1)
8) #31-Ryan Newman(C4), 990, -151 (-1)
9) #99-Carl Edwards(C7), 973, -168 (+1)
10) #42-Kyle Larson, 967, -174 (-1)
11) #5-Kasey Kahne, 908, -233
12) #16-Greg Biffle, 901, -240
13) #18-Kyle Busch, 887, -254 (+1)
14) #15-Clint Bowyer, 885, -256 (-1)
15) #1-Jamie McMurray, 878, -263 (+1)
16) #3-Austin Dillon, 878, -263 (-1)
17) #11-Denny Hamlin(C5), 843, -298
18) #55-Brian Vickers, 830, -311
19) #27-Paul Menard, 826, -315
20) #41-Kurt Busch, 801, -340
21) #9-Marcos Ambrose, 781, -360
22) #47-AJ Allmendinger, 779, -362
23) #78-Martin Truex Jr., 767, -374
24) #43-Aric Almirola, 739, -402
25) #13-Casey Mears, 716, -425

Honestly , it seems to me that Nascar has to de-emphasize winning . You put 43 cars out there , all racing each other for position and the only one anyone cares about ( fans or media) is the one winner .Yeah the winner is great , but racing in this and every other racing series is about the entire field ,for the entire race , not just one guy for one lap at the finish . It doesn't matter a bit how many points you give to the winner , there will still only be one , and ,in many cases, it will be pure luck . (A well timed pit stop , a GWC , an accident , a flat tire , etc) . If I go out to my local short track , to watch someone I know race , it doesn't matter to me who wins , it matters how my buddy did . I cheer every lap. This 'win and you're in' stuff is nuts.

Honestly , it seems to me that Nascar has to de-emphasize winning . You put 43 cars out there , all racing each other for position and the only one anyone cares about ( fans or media) is the one winner .Yeah the winner is great , but racing in this and every other racing series is about the entire field ,for the entire race , not just one guy for one lap at the finish . It doesn't matter a bit how many points you give to the winner , there will still only be one , and ,in many cases, it will be pure luck . (A well timed pit stop , a GWC , an accident , a flat tire , etc) . If I go out to my local short track , to watch someone I know race , it doesn't matter to me who wins , it matters how my buddy did . I cheer every lap. This 'win and you're in' stuff is nuts.
Nobody remembers 2nd place. You race to win :)

Nobody remembers 2nd place. You race to win :)
That is a popular view from the press that has hoodwinked quite a few, but that isn't what wins titles in autosports. Despite the win and your in, there are a majority of chasers in the mix who haven't won a race in the chase yet, some who haven't won all year, and I bet some of them will be in the final race. Unless they quit awarding points for nothing but wins, hey that might be something Brian will look at for next year.:rolleyes:

That is a popular view from the press that has hoodwinked quite a few, but that isn't what wins titles in autosports. Despite the win and your in, there are a majority of chasers in the mix who haven't won a race in the chase yet, some who haven't won all year, and I bet some of them will be in the final race. Unless they quit awarding points for nothing but wins, hey that might be something Brian will look at for next year.:rolleyes:
Basically, offense wins game and defense wins championships. But you play to win every weekend.

The best car on the track in any given race seldom wins . Quite frankly , in this sport , winning is a crapshoot . Too bad we can't enjoy the sport for what it is .

Yea, I'll be honest, I like to see more battles between drivers. I LOVE looking at the field and see whose battling who for position and how they do it. Do they race each other clean, or do they trade paint? Do they give a little nudge, or do they hook and spin on the rear quarter panel? IMHO, that aspect of racing isn't really focused on that much.

..........But how about that game 7 moment with Keselowski at Dega? :growl:

In a way, to me, watching Keselowski win at Talladega was exciting in the same sort of way that watching a movie, or whatever where the hero is playing to win, and the system is rigged against them, with the hero emerging victorious. I'm not saying that NASCAR is rigged because of the new Chase format, I'm just saying it was sort of like that.

In a way, to me, watching Keselowski win at Talladega was exciting in the same sort of way that watching a movie, or whatever where the hero is playing to win, and the system is rigged against them, with the hero emerging victorious. I'm not saying that NASCAR is rigged because of the new Chase format, I'm just saying it was sort of like that.

a lot of good story lines. If either one of the Penske cars go all the way, and I think one of them will, it will be on all of the highlight reels, a good story. If Gordon wins after all these years, another good one. Harvick with all his troubles, or Matt or Newman if they win without winning a race on and on..

a lot of good story lines. If either one of the Penske cars go all the way, and I think one of them will, it will be on all of the highlight reels, a good story. If Gordon wins after all these years, another good one. Harvick with all his troubles, or Matt or Newman if they win without winning a race on and on..

You guys that think that it's okay if a driver with no wins, who would finish 6th without the Chase.......... really don't care about the points format. If I were you, I wouldn't be so passionate about my apathy.

You guys that think that it's okay if a driver with no wins, who would finish 6th without the Chase.......... really don't care about the points format. If I were you, I wouldn't be so passionate about my apathy.

you are not me. And I don't care who doesn't like the new format, you should have figured that out by now. Cry your eyes out it isn't going to change a thing. I am not all ate up with it myself, but I am having fun with it. I am not stupid enough to make myself miserable and ruin a year of racing crying about it and arguing with who ever tries to point out something positive about it. .that apathetic enough for ya? Like ol Abe Lincoln said, "most folks are as happy as they made up their minds to be".

images

its not like this exact format is gonna stick for ten years and so frankly, I stopped caring about how it was decided.

However if in the last race at Homestead, it comes down to Gordon,Harvick, Logano and Kez I'll be happy cause that's pretty much been the best four this year.

its not like this exact format is gonna stick for ten years and so frankly, I stopped caring about how it was decided.

However if in the last race at Homestead, it comes down to Gordon,Harvick, Logano and Kez I'll be happy cause that's pretty much been the best four this year.

If it comes down to those four and they finish lead lap , then yes, that would look good for Nascar . If , on the other hand , it were the other four , and none of them were on the lead lap , then I think the new format failed to manufacture drama .

you are not me. And I don't care who doesn't like the new format, you should have figured that out by now. Cry your eyes out it isn't going to change a thing. I am not all ate up with it myself, but I am having fun with it. I am not stupid enough to make myself miserable and ruin a year of racing crying about it and arguing with who ever tries to point out something positive about it. .that apathetic enough for ya? Like ol Abe Lincoln said, "most folks are as happy as they made up their minds to be".
Yeah, I think someone's exaggerating just a wee bit there.

If it comes down to those four and they finish lead lap , then yes, that would look good for Nascar . If , on the other hand , it were the other four , and none of them were on the lead lap , then I think the new format failed to manufacture drama .
when, in recent years has the winner won with the top five all not being on the lead lap? As it is, even with only 4 cars racing for the title, I will be surprised if they all aren't within the top ten at Homestead. Going to take a fast computer to keep up with who's who probably. :blush:

when, in recent years has the winner won with the top five all not being on the lead lap? As it is, even with only 4 cars racing for the title, I will be surprised if they all aren't within the top ten at Homestead. Going to take a fast computer to keep up with who's who probably. :blush:
I would imagine ESPN will have some kind of graphic at Homestead showing where the four title contenders are running at all times. Kinda like the "points as they run" graphic they've used in years past.

Look. I'm not crying about anything. And I don't watch racing to make myself miserable. As for "arguing with whoever tries to point out something positive about it", I consider other people's opinions. If you can give me a reason why you think the new chase format, I'll consider your opinion, of course.

Don't make me out to be a piece of **** with ad hominem attacks like that, which don't even speak for me. They may speak for other people on the website, but not for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Limited access to the net for a week. It's great to finally get back on the forums to check out all of the new Hate the Chase threads. Lot's f new threads but the same ol' same ol'.

My guy got knocked out of this thing @ Tally but he was able to throw a wrench into the plans of at least eight drivers this past weekend.

Still liking what I'm watching. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom