Old Chase threads

That's one way to spin it, but it's exactly like a stick and ball format. Heck, that's one of the main reasons why the people that like it are praising it, and on the flipside, it's one of the main reasons why people that dislike it are against it.
I thought so at first too, knew from the start that it was a media dog and pony show, but looking at it from a short track heat race deal it is pretty similar. sometimes a favored car will get into a wreck or have trouble, but they get to race in the b feature and if they finish in the top five they get into the A. These guys get one more race than that so it is more than fair IMO. And instead of thirty cars in the feature going for it, they have what 38 with 4 eligible for the crown.

overall the racing hasn't been that bad, i just don't like the chase format. i ready don't know how to fix the cars with air and all, so i accept that part of it, but the other parts like running the race and the rules and such, i have my views, and i think Brian has no clue to none of it.

I thought Nextel (now Sprint) wanted something to separate the Winston Cup era of NASCAR with the Nextel Cup era, so Brian France came up with The Chase.
well he couldn't say it was to separate him, and i'm sure Nextel would be on board. again my opinion.

can't argue with that, I am sure the decisions are being made by committees of "experts"

overall the racing hasn't been that bad, i just don't like the chase format. i ready don't know how to fix the cars with air and all, so i accept that part of it, but the other parts like running the race and the rules and such, i have my views, and i think Brian has no clue to none of it.

it is all about the ratings IMO, if race tracks themselves were so valuable we wouldn't be seeing them torn up for housing and developments. Without media most tracks survive hand to mouth at best. So it is a love hate relationship and racing has to conform to a TV model a bit to survive IMO. And along with it comes changes, experiments, gizmo's

I've said it before and I'll say it again since the topic seems to keep coming up: playoffs are necessary in stick and ball, and are not necessary in NASCAR. Everybody in NASCAR faces every other competitor in the "league" (for lack of a better term) every week, which isn't the case in any other major sport that has a playoff. Also, in other sports' playoffs, when a team is eliminated, their season is over. Kinda weird that the 4 drivers "eliminated" after Dover still get to participate in the remaining playoff events. When the Seahawks and Broncos played each other in the Super Bowl last year, I don't recall seeing the other 30 teams out on the field with them.

I've said it before and I'll say it again since the topic seems to keep coming up: playoffs are necessary in stick and ball, and are not necessary in NASCAR. Everybody in NASCAR faces every other competitor in the "league" (for lack of a better term) every week, which isn't the case in any other major sport that has a playoff. Also, in other sports' playoffs, when a team is eliminated, their season is over. Kinda weird that the 4 drivers "eliminated" after Dover still get to participate in the remaining playoff events. When the Seahawks and Broncos played each other in the Super Bowl last year, I don't recall seeing the other 30 teams out on the field with them.

They are not necessary in stick n ball, they were invented and they work. Now that college I guess? has gone that route, I wonder when high school will, state champion won't be enough. Probably had a bunch like yourself that didn't want playoffs before you were involved, but go ahead carry the torch. :biggrin:

They are not necessary in stick n ball, they were invented and they work. Now that college I guess? has gone that route, I wonder when high school will, state champion won't be enough. Probably had a bunch like yourself that didn't want playoffs before you were involved, but go ahead carry the torch. :biggrin:
How aren't they? You can't play a league-wide round-robin in the NFL; the season would be way too long. You can't even have a conference-wide round-robin.

you stick n ballers always trying to compare racing to it. like I have said all along I see why the stick n ballers see it that way, but again i see it like racing does it on a Saturday night only longer in duration. Read the post above ya FL, foorball didn't have playoff for 12 years i believe it was..but look at all the wholesale changes they made in just a few years, rules that you stick n ballers accepted without question. But if you were around back then, passing the ball from five yards back, compared to some gizmo idea of letting them pass anywhere behind the line of scrimmage would have been blasphemous. Off with the commissioners head!

Here's my thing with this new chase format and Nascar. Too many variables. Nascar is not a sport where if you do well at what you do better than another means you'll beat them. It should but it doesn't always happen that way because they are racing machines, they break, cut tire, whatever. You have to be more lucky then good to win a title. Even in old chase formats, those 12 had to be good most of the chase races even to have a chance at the last race. Now, you can win one week, suck the next two weeks, then win one week, suck the next two weeks...You get the point. Plus, the tracks in the chase aren't equal either. Going to Talladega could possibly mean AJ or Alimrola could make the Final 8 drivers to win the title. I like both guys but that's just too gimmicky imo.

I'm sure one of the best drivers all season will win the title but getting to that point is just such a pointless exercise. I don't actually mind the last race deciding it because one of the four will deserve the title for making it thru this crapshoot but its unneeded.

I enjoy the races for what they are and I hope racing next year is even better with a new package but I can't say I'll have love this format. Should of just kept it the way it was and if not, 16 drivers is 4 too many. 12 drivers would be even be more drama for Brian right at the jump lol.

jeez !
....... we get 2 excitin races........ chicago & loudon.... ta kick off new chase format .
........3rd one in dover sure ta be even better next week.
......and what kinda response do we get from cup fans here ?

...same ole worn out anti '14 chase arguments...analogies...brian snark excuses.
.........same stuff we've heard over and over again all year !

ya'll need some new reasoning stories !
these ain't even humorous anymore ! ha!

Last edited:
IMO, the new Chase is doing nothing to get new fans. We live in a different time than when this sport began. New fans will be on board for a bit but as soon as the fad wears off they will be gone. Brian France will continue to drive away the dedicated old school fanbase with his BS gimmicks until the sport can no longer financially sustain itself.
I've been a NASCAR fan since the legendary drivers were in the cars (Petty, Pearson, Yarborough, Allison, etc.)
I'm becoming less and less interested in a sport where I never missed a broadcast for racing, qualifying or practice. I don't even watch qualifying anymore; it's a joke.
At the rate the sport is going, I'll eventually quit going to LVMS every year, then I'll quit going to Fontana every year. Brian is doing a grand job of killing the sport.
If NASCAR wants to be like stick 'n ball, then why watch NASCAR? Why not just watch stick 'n ball?
Couldn't have said it better so I'm going to quote you and pretend I posted it.

Didn't college have a champion that was chosen by the sportswriters ?

That is a terrible formula.

This gimmicky format works for drivers that consistently win. It's all good when you're winning but simply having a good day doesn't cut it anymore which is why you see so many decent to good drivers struggle to keep up. Your guy is doing awesome this year but next year he could be on the outs by not winning enough.

This is too hit and miss for my liking.
First round top 10's will get u through... second round probably still will... look at Harvick .. no wins.. still 3rd in points. Moving to the next round is almost assured because he didnt have a bad day. If the formula calls for winning and u cant make it happen... do u really deserve a championship?

I didnt even realize how much I love the idea of points resets every round until this past race... its going to be good. These guys have to either win or have 3 solid finishes. Thats how it should be. Never again will we hear an announcer saying that someone only has to finish 15th or something to win the cup.

you stick n ballers always trying to compare racing to it. like I have said all along I see why the stick n ballers see it that way, but again i see it like racing does it on a Saturday night only longer in duration. Read the post above ya FL, foorball didn't have playoff for 12 years i believe it was..but look at all the wholesale changes they made in just a few years, rules that you stick n ballers accepted without question. But if you were around back then, passing the ball from five yards back, compared to some gizmo idea of letting them pass anywhere behind the line of scrimmage would have been blasphemous. Off with the commissioners head!
We always compare NASCAR to stick and ball because NASCAR is constantly trying to be stick and ball.

I didnt even realize how much I love the idea of points resets every round until this past race... its going to be good. These guys have to either win or have 3 solid finishes. Thats how it should be. Never again will we hear an announcer saying that someone only has to finish 15th or something to win the cup.
I agree.

I fought the Chase fight for years. The Chase isn't going anywhere. It took me a long, long time to realize that. I could sit back and complain about it each and every fall or I can watch and enjoy the racing. The latter is a lot less stressful. The original creation of the Chase was as different to the previous system as this one is to last year. Seems a lot of people are experiencing the same frustrations that I had starting in 2004. It sucks but you'll either come to accept it or move on. As much as everyone seems to complain on here they still tend to stick around. I started out this year hating this current system as well and then figured I'd wait until I see it unfold to form an opinion. So far, two races into the thing I like what I'm seeing. It's making these final 10 far more interesting to watch than they would have been otherwise. Sports is entertainment and this is more entertaining.

The elimination aspect to all of this really isn't all that much different than it was. Before we used to just call those eliminations the points standings. It was nothing formal but we all knew who was realistically in or out of the post season. Now there's a line that drawn every three weeks. Fall below it and your championship hopes are gone. Not a thing wrong with that. If you suck during the playoffs then you shouldn't be in it. Nobody's going to luck into this Championship. They will have to have survived each of the elimination segments and then be the best of the best when the time comes.

I agree.

I fought the Chase fight for years. The Chase isn't going anywhere. It took me a long, long time to realize that. I could sit back and complain about it each and every fall or I can watch and enjoy the racing. The latter is a lot less stressful. The original creation of the Chase was as different to the previous system as this one is to last year. Seems a lot of people are experiencing the same frustrations that I had starting in 2004. It sucks but you'll either come to accept it or move on. As much as everyone seems to complain on here they still tend to stick around. I started out this year hating this current system as well and then figured I'd wait until I see it unfold to form an opinion. So far, two races into the thing I like what I'm seeing. It's making these final 10 far more interesting to watch than they would have been otherwise. Sports is entertainment and this is more entertaining.

The elimination aspect to all of this really isn't all that much different than it was. Before we used to just call those eliminations the points standings. It was nothing formal but we all knew who was realistically in or out of the post season. Now there's a line that drawn every three weeks. Fall below it and your championship hopes are gone. Not a thing wrong with that. If you suck during the playoffs then you shouldn't be in it. Nobody's going to luck into this Championship. They will have to have survived each of the elimination segments and then be the best of the best when the time comes.
Well said.. Granted I've only been a fan since 09 but this seems to be the most exciting racing to open the chase that I've ever seen. The finishes the past two weeks have been spectacular and whats even better is that were counting points every lap too. Some of these guys would have plenty of time to come back from a bad race under the old system, now they either put up right now... or they're out. There's still some points racing.. but now there's virtually no way to top 10 yourself into a cup. Winners win.. thats how it should be and I for one am loving every minute of it.. it also helps a bit that Penske has won 4 of the last 5 races :D

Well said.. Granted I've only been a fan since 09 but this seems to be the most exciting racing to open the chase that I've ever seen. The finishes the past two weeks have been spectacular and whats even better is that were counting points every lap too. Some of these guys would have plenty of time to come back from a bad race under the old system, now they either put up right now... or they're out. There's still some points racing.. but now there's virtually no way to top 10 yourself into a cup. Winners win.. thats how it should be and I for one am loving every minute of it.. it also helps a bit that Penske has won 4 of the last 5 races :D
I was with you the whole way up until the last sentence. Then you lost me.

This is adding to what I'm watching during these races. Chase implications at almost every turn today. Good stuff. Regardless of how all of this turns out it makes the races more exciting IMO. Flame on.

I'm sticking with plan A. If it provides good racing, I wont care who wins the Homey championship. So far, so good.

Dover is going to be sick with so many top teams sitting on the edge. Jr tweeted after Loudon "This is insane" and seemed happy about it. Imagine if M'ville were moved to be the 3rd race in the last segment? Homestead would be payback city.

I'm sticking with plan A. If it provides good racing, I wont care who wins the Homey championship. So far, so good.

Dover is going to be sick with so many top teams sitting on the edge. Jr tweeted after Loudon "This is insane" and seemed happy about it. Imagine if M'ville were moved to be the 3rd race in the last segment? Homestead would be payback city.
The eliminations will make all of these races in the Chase so much more interesting.

Yeah, I sure would like to see Martinsville be one of those elimination races but regardless it will be a determining factor.

IMO, the new Chase is doing nothing to get new fans. We live in a different time than when this sport began. New fans will be on board for a bit but as soon as the fad wears off they will be gone. Brian France will continue to drive away the dedicated old school fanbase with his BS gimmicks until the sport can no longer financially sustain itself.
I've been a NASCAR fan since the legendary drivers were in the cars (Petty, Pearson, Yarborough, Allison, etc.)
I'm becoming less and less interested in a sport where I never missed a broadcast for racing, qualifying or practice. I don't even watch qualifying anymore; it's a joke.
At the rate the sport is going, I'll eventually quit going to LVMS every year, then I'll quit going to Fontana every year. Brian is doing a grand job of killing the sport.
If NASCAR wants to be like stick 'n ball, then why watch NASCAR? Why not just watch stick 'n ball?

I agree with much of what you say. Until nascar fixes the cars and tracks, this is the best we can hope for. They seem to be ready to start addressing the aero mess we're in. The drivers attitude toward rubbing and contact changed drastically when the CoT tire spears and aero tin arrived. I doubt they will start reconfiguring the big tracks into smaller tracks that provide short track racing, but that's exactly what is needed to get back to the stock car racing roots.

I would find it a bit humerus if the driver that wins the cup this year had no wins during the chase.

The eliminations will make all of these races in the Chase so much more interesting.

Yeah, I sure would like to see Martinsville be one of those elimination races but regardless it will be a determining factor.

M'ville may turn out to be super tame because it's the first race in a segment. A bunch of guys went into Chicago talking about having a good points day, and many did the same at Loudon. At Dover, there will be a bunch of desperados willing to move people for the win. This could get fugly on a late restart.

M'ville may turn out to be super tame because it's the first race in a segment. A bunch of guys went into Chicago talking about having a good points day, and many did the same at Loudon. At Dover, there will be a bunch of desperados willing to move people for the win. This could get fugly on a late restart.
If the race at Martinsville is as good as Chicago or New Hampshire were, I'm good. :D

Back
Top Bottom