Old Chase threads

Then again, your good if you have gas fumes in your nose and a bud light in your hand.

BTW, try Miller Light. Brace yourself if you do....IT TASTES LIKE BEER!!
You forgot the hot dog.

Miller Light? I'm not opposed to it. If it's cold, it all tastes like beer.

I fought the Chase fight for years. The Chase isn't going anywhere. It took me a long, long time to realize that. I could sit back and complain about it each and every fall or I can watch and enjoy the racing. The latter is a lot less stressful. The original creation of the Chase was as different to the previous system as this one is to last year. Seems a lot of people are experiencing the same frustrations that I had starting in 2004. It sucks but you'll either come to accept it or move on. As much as everyone seems to complain on here they still tend to stick around. I started out this year hating this current system as well and then figured I'd wait until I see it unfold to form an opinion. So far, two races into the thing I like what I'm seeing. It's making these final 10 far more interesting to watch than they would have been otherwise. Sports is entertainment and this is more entertaining.
I'm fine with the Chase in general and was from the beginning - it's this particular Chase I'm not fine with. Some of you with the opposite opinion have made statements to the effect of "you guys keep complaining about the new format but are still here." Of course I'm still here! I still enjoy the racing itself and probably always will, so until this format changes, my motto will continue to be "watch the race, eff the Chase." If you like the new system, hey, that's great. Some of us don't, and that's fine too - it doesn't make us a bunch of stressed out complainers and whiners that can't handle a "big boy" points format.

Honestly, I try to not even address the Chase anymore unless someone else brings it up, precisely because I don't want to be labeled as a perpetual whiner and because I really just don't care about it. It hasn't even come into play in my mind as I've watched these last two races - all I've cared about is the races themselves. That's why I wanted to see Brad win it so badly yesterday, despite the fact that he's locked into the next round of the Chumpionship. I don't care about that.

Heck, I was gonna post my little Kyle Busch face in this thread and leave it at that, but then some of y'all started pouring gas on the fire and business picked up, so I had to jump in. You knew what was coming when you made this thread. That's why you encouraged us to flame on. We're only following your instructions. :mellow:

I'm gonna play a little drinking game during the race at Dover this Sunday. Every time ESPN says "Chase", "elimination", or "exciting", I'm gonna take a shot. Please visit me at Vanderbilt University Medical Center after the race when I'm being treated for alcohol poisoning.
I'm already hammered :whoopee:

I'm gonna play a little drinking game during the race at Dover this Sunday. Every time ESPN says "Chase", "elimination", or "exciting", I'm gonna take a shot. Please visit me at Vanderbilt University Medical Center after the race when I'm being treated for alcohol poisoning.
Fox sports1, Fox sports1, Fox sports1, Fox sports1, Fox sports1...it's the antidote if your mind doesn't explode first

I was against the Chase from the beginning, I resigned myself to enjoy the individual races. I'm finding the current version to be interesting, there are three bump races. There is a premium on winning but I think consistency is also be competitive. We have been seeing some pretty good races but not every race will have the same excitement and if a smaller team advances we will have an underdog - it is the stuff of playoffs.

The only thing I'd change is that when a driver falls out of the Chase they lose the bonus points and be competing with the field. If the Ganassi cars (or other teams) can have good runs they deserve to move up in the points.

Back in the day, by this time in the season only 2 or 3 drivers had a realistic chance at the cup. And more than likely they were points racing for the rest of the season. With this year's teams there would probably be more drivers with a chance but I bet points racing would be prominent.

I love it. Seeing a big name like Denny Hamlin on the brink of elimination in the first round while AJ Allmendinger advances is like seeing a team like the Denver Broncos get bounced out of the NFL playoffs in a divisional by a team like Cleveland. Adds excitement.

Speaking of Germany, have you tried their beer? :D

Yep. I find most German beers to be 2 and done, usually with dinner. They are very filling and sure aren't suited for a day of indulging. Lowenbrau is the only worthy exception I can think of, and that's just way over priced.

Did you know Budweiser is German beer?

I love it. Seeing a big name like Denny Hamlin on the brink of elimination in the first round while AJ Allmendinger advances is like seeing a team like the Denver Broncos get bounced out of the NFL playoffs in a divisional by a team like Cleveland. Adds excitement.
I think it's exactly this ^ that takes the credibility out of the Cup Championship.

I think it's exactly this ^ that takes the credibility out of the Cup Championship.

The cream rises. This format is better than the old one because one bad race doesn't knock you out of the championship like it did under last year's format. You can't top-10 the field to death anymore. This is a big boy points system.

The cream rises. This format is better than the old one because one bad race doesn't knock you out of the championship like it did under last year's format. You can't top-10 the field to death anymore. This is a big boy points system.
IMO, the Big Boy is the one with 5 wins on the season not the guy with zero wins.

Please explain this key fact to Dale Jarrett. I'm tired of listening to that idiot blather how one mistake under this system is more a death blow than under the old system.

To me, a guy like Allmendinger being in the Chase is kind of like a 5-11 team being in the NFL playoffs. They don't belong there to start with.

I'm sure you'd love it if a 5-11 team could make the playoffs. Would be the only time you see the Titans there. ;)

I LOVE the "Win and you're in" aspect although I'd like to see one amendment to that declaring that the race has to complete it's official, advertised distance.

You must have loved the 8-8 NY Giants being champs over the 15-1 Patriots.
It was the 10-6 Giants over the 16-0 Patriots, and later the 9-7 Giants over the 13-3 Patriots, but yeah, I actually rooted for the evil Coach Belichick and the Patriots both times.

BTW, that avatar is cracking me up....

To me, a guy like Allmendinger being in the Chase is kind of like a 5-11 team being in the NFL playoffs. They don't belong there to start with.
You must have loved the 8-8 NY Giants being champs over the 15-1 Patriots.

Careful y'all, StandOn**** won't approve of these posts.

Back
Top Bottom