Old Chase threads

Guarantee the boys who are within 12 points of each other are having a time of it about right now. Butterflies are a flying

Doesn't even make sense. At least a season-long points championship in auto racing makes sense since that's what scoring is based on, rather than W-L record.

?? ....football is based on most points scored in each game .
who cares about wins ? just most points scored over 20 games.

It is ironic that most of the complaints are coming from stick n baller cross overs..now it is bad for business?:D I don't hear or see anybody leavin
I've never been a "stick n baller" fan. I wouldn't watch amateur college sports for any amount of money. I played pretty much every ball sport in school. Once I got into motorsports, ball sports didn't matter. IMO, the two are quite different and shouldn't be manipulated.
The difference between soccer, football, basketball, baseball, fooseball, tennis, ping-pong and NASCAR is, you need two balls to participate in NASCAR :D

?? ....football is based on most points scored in each game .
who cares about wins ? just most points scored over 20 games.
So I guess the Falcons are the best team in the NFL since they've scored the most points this year? I sure as hell didn't see the Bears and Cowboys in the playoffs last year despite scoring the most and third-most points in the NFC. You can't aggregate points when no two teams play the same schedule and defense is a better indicator of strength anyways.

So I guess the Falcons are the best team in the NFL since they've scored the most points this year? I sure as hell didn't see the Bears and Cowboys in the playoffs last year despite scoring the most and third-most points in the NFC. You can't aggregate points when no two teams play the same schedule and defense is a better indicator of strength anyways.

only points matter .

If Almirola, Kurt B, Newman, Biffle, Allmendinger, Kahne, Edwards, or Matt wins this Championship I will point and laugh and the silliness of this point system will be obvious.

Ratings have been dropping overall for quite awhile.
some of us don't give a hoot about ratings I know I never have, never cared. Until I signed on here and had to deal with all the naysayers predicting the end of Nascar...yeah right o_O what a bunch of dipsticks. ..as long as it does well enough so there isn't a TV blackout and that isn't going to happen as long as there is TV. Me tooers love ratings, makes them feel secure that they are doing what everybody else is doing.

If Almirola, Kurt B, Newman, Biffle, Allmendinger, Kahne, Edwards, or Matt wins this Championship I will point and laugh and the silliness of this point system will be obvious.
your point being? you will quit watching or something? go up on a mountain top and wait for the end of the world? :rolleyes: Better yet..go buy yourself a jersey and a new pair of tennis shoes?

some of us don't give a hoot about ratings I know I never have, never cared. Until I signed on here and had to deal with all the naysayers predicting the end of Nascar...yeah right o_O what a bunch of dipsticks. ..as long as it does well enough so there isn't a TV blackout and that isn't going to happen as long as there is TV. Me tooers love ratings, makes them feel secure that they are doing what everybody else is doing.
A sport almost entirely dependent on corporate sponsorship relies on TV ratings.

posts now appropiately matched up .

But now we live in a different time. The moment; here & now is pretty much all that matters with this new ADHD, gotta-havit-now crowd.

your point being? you will quit watching or something? go up on a mountain top and wait for the end of the world? :rolleyes: Better yet..go buy yourself a jersey and a new pair of tennis shoes?
I'll just quit spending thousands of dollars per year on a farce sport and spend the money on my cars and motorcycles.

I'll just quit spending thousands of dollars per year on a farce sport and spend the money on my cars and motorcycles.
lets see farce sports..we have kick the can, hit the rock with a stick, and keep away. hmmm I think I will take my car is faster then yours is.

It doesn't take a Trig major to realize that half of the people in this tiny thread don't like The Chase. We do not need playoffs in motorsports. This IS NOT some bull****t college tournament. The newcomers do not have the attention span to sit by and support the manipulation of NASCAR and the old, hardcore fans (with the money) have already begun to leave.

It doesn't take a Trig major to realize that half of the people in this tiny thread don't like The Chase. We do not need playoffs in motorsports. This IS NOT some bull****t college tournament. The newcomers do not have the attention span to sit by and support the manipulation of NASCAR and the old, hardcore fans (with the money) have already begun to leave.

bf....guess you will remain in '14 chase "denier " category. ......til homestead. :D

My point with bringing up the ratings is that this "exciting" new Chase format was supposed to be the magic elixir to attract all these new fans, and through 28 races it has not been that. The "win-and-you're-in" aspect didn't help in the first 26, as all but a handful of those races saw a drop in ratings and viewership vs. 2013, and the first two races of the Chase have been pretty much flat vs. 2013. You may not care about the ratings, but the networks and the advertisers do.

The bottom line is that money is leaving the sport (for WHATEVER reason.) The sport happens to be a business. Businesses do not flourish while losing money. Corporate advertisement is a tremendous part of this sport. Sponsorships are harder and harder to come by. Remember when a sponsor was on the hood and 1/4 panels throughout the year? Those days are gone.
You can only lose money for so long.

My point with bringing up the ratings is that this "exciting" new Chase format was supposed to be the magic elixir to attract all these new fans, and through 28 races it has not been that. The "win-and-you're-in" aspect didn't help in the first 26, as all but a handful of those races saw a drop in ratings and viewership vs. 2013, and the first two races of the Chase have been pretty much flat vs. 2013. You may not care about the ratings, but the networks and the advertisers do.

please refer ta 10 yr plan fox / nbc signed ! starts in '15 !

please refer ta 10 yr plan fox / nbc signed ! starts in '15 !
If ratings don't improve, get used to a lot more commercials. When ratings dip, so dips the value of an individual commercial. How do Fox and NBC make up for this? By selling more commercials, of course.

If ratings don't improve, get used to a lot more commercials. When ratings dip, so dips the value of an individual commercial. How do Fox and NBC make up for this? By selling more commercials, of course.
yep the future is bleak and the sky is falling.o_O

yep the future is bleak and the sky is falling.o_O
Not quite, just saying that we saw how many commercials there were during this year's races. Starting next year when the new contracts kick in, the networks will have even more money they'll have to recoup. So if the number of viewers don't rise, the number of commercials likely will.

point is ... nbc ponied up all that extra $$ w/ idea that new chase format would incr ratings by '15.

of course.......they didn't concur w/ all tha experts here.......so they could be wrong . :D

point is ... nbc ponied up all that extra $$ w/ idea that new chase format would incr ratings by '15.

of course.......they didn't concur w/ all tha experts here.......so they could be wrong . :D
Fox and NBC must have had some kind of vision for the future, otherwise they wouldn't have overpaid for the TV rights.

However, there must have also been a reason ESPN and TNT wanted out a year early.

How long do you keep your financial advisor when your portfolio is in the red?
ratings and all that are TV's problems(apparently we have big time stock holders around here). They sign contracts, pay the racing people money for the right to televise and there ya go. They are big boys. ain't none of my business, I just pay my cable bill, hit the channel and watch the race..simple.

Fox and NBC must have had some kind of vision for the future, otherwise they wouldn't have overpaid for the TV rights.

However, there must have also been a reason ESPN and TNT wanted out a year early.

I am not equipped to be able to read the future, but I also don't pay much attention to folks that think they can.

ratings and all that are TV's problems(apparently we have big time stock holders around here). They sign contracts, pay the racing people money for the rright to televise and there ya go. They are big boys. ain't none of my business, I just pay my cable bill, hit the channel and watch the race..simple.
I see your point. Successful businessmen do not continue to invest in losing interests.
I love the sport. I just think Brian France is taking it out into deep water.

Back
Top Bottom