2016 NASCAR Season - Television Ratings Thread

I have really enjoyed the Cup races this season but I also really like College Ball for the games, traditions and pageantry. Attending a game at Doak Campbell Stadium or the Big House in Ann Arbor is electrifying as are other places I have visited.

I just happened to google Doak stadium - OMG!!!! What an atmosphere - it puts our football stadiums to shame!!

I've been realyl getting into NFL etc this past 6 months and wow I would love to go there.
Trying to see how I could tie in a match and a race in one swoop!

Clemson looks like a super crowd too.

Found a link: Watch Alabama Uni in their huge stadium on Sat 23rd Oct then Talladega race on the sunday!! :)))))

I just happened to google Doak stadium - OMG!!!! What an atmosphere - it puts our football stadiums to shame!!

I've been realyl getting into NFL etc this past 6 months and wow I would love to go there.
Trying to see how I could tie in a match and a race in one swoop!

Clemson looks like a super crowd too.

Found a link: Watch Alabama Uni in their huge stadium on Sat 23rd Oct then Talladega race on the sunday!! :)))))

I think you would really like the atmosphere at a college game and you could easily fit a race and a college or NFL game in one weekend. There are some great rivalries in the college game including Alabama-Auburn, Alabama-LSU, Georgia-Georgia Tech, Notre Dame-USC, Michigan and Michigan State and a whole bunch more. I am partial to the Florida State Seminoles but that is just my preference.

I think you would really like the atmosphere at a college game and you could easily fit a race and a college or NFL game in one weekend. There are some great rivalries in the college game including Alabama-Auburn, Alabama-LSU, Georgia-Georgia Tech, Notre Dame-USC, Michigan and Michigan State and a whole bunch more. I am partial to the Florida State Seminoles but that is just my preference.

It all looks great. And my mate has just suggested I watch some of the Ohio State half time shows and spent half an hours trawling through some amazing stuff! Those guys are amazing - I think I would pay just to watch that half time show let alone the match!!

Just gotta sort out the £550 flight ticket and get it down to a more reasonable £200! :(

Also saw the tickets for Flor State matches are $180 min!! Jesus! I guess it's pretty special when youre there but I thought these were the second tier football matches!! :O

Ohio State would be great and if you could ever see an Ohio State-Michigan game it would be epic. Michigan Stadium is the biggest stadium in the USA and can cram in over 110,000 fans. I hope things work out that you can make the trip and that you can find some good prices on airfare and the game.

College football may be amateur only but in terms of atmosphere it is probably the American equivalent to the EPL. The traditions, the pageantry, the songs, and the rivalries all mean just as much or more than winning a championship. Don't get me wrong the NFL is great and top dog in terms of American sports and there are good rivalries in some areas, but there is something to be said when a lower-tier amateur league playing the same sport is nearly as popular.

More Records being set for ratings

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2016/04/nascar-ratings-down-fox-richmond-overnights-lowest/

NASCAR on FOX continues to flirt with record low numbers.

NASCAR Sprint Cup racing from Richmond earned a 2.9 overnight rating on FOX Sunday afternoon, down a tick from 2014, when it aired on a Saturday night (3.0). Overnights also dropped 6% from last year, when the race was postponed from Saturday night to Sunday afternoon (3.1).

The 2.9 overnight is the lowest ever for a Sunday Sprint Cup race on FOX, falling below the previous mark of 3.2 for Bristol one week prior. Regardless of day, it is tied as the second-lowest for a Sprint Cup race on FOX — matching Texas last year and ahead of Texas this year (2.5).

The past three Sprint Cup races on FOX rank among the network’s five lowest rated in the metered markets, with Texas at the bottom, Richmond tied for second and Bristol tied for fifth.

How many people don't watch because they know who is going to win?

Lets makes the cars harder to drive, slide around, oh look he is a wheelman, rating down and attendance down, FAIL.

Much lower TV viewership and barren stands at the track don't seem like much of a concern at this point which seems odd to me. Initially people said that FOX and NBC would recover the costs of the Nascar contracts by raising prices to cable/sat companies but that hasn't happened. Some tracks have had 3 rounds of seat removals and look like they need another so all is not well. Talladega Superspeedway used to have 143K permanent seats that were all full and now has 78K and won't sell out for next week's race.

No doom and gloom but how far can things sink?

Lets makes the cars harder to drive, slide around, oh look he is a wheelman, rating down and attendance down, FAIL.

Attendance and TV ratings were down long before this year.

that's an excellent point. On most tracks we now its gonig to be one of 9 drivers. Maybe NASCAR needs revenue sharing to make it 20 winner chances

I wonder if the ratings will go up when NBC takes over this year. After watching NBC do it right last year, I just can't watch Fox races (and I finally get the network). Planning on getting cable in my new house soon, once I have another few fights with Time Warner.
Why do any of you people deal with cable in the first place? Almost every one complains about it and every cable company is included.
Satellite is the only way to go. A lot of people have 2 here, one aimed for Canadian content and the other for American. I have an ARNU BOX which has everything on it and I can watch when I want.

Why do any of you people deal with cable in the first place? Almost every one complains about it and every cable company is included.
Satellite is the only way to go. A lot of people have 2 here, one aimed for Canadian content and the other for American. I have an ARNU BOX which has everything on it and I can watch when I want.
Satellite..... I wouldn't go any other route.

I don't know what a ARNU BOX is. Looking it up now.....

Still not exactly sure of its capabilities. How doe this thing work for you. In other words, what the heck does it even do?

The ARNU BOX 10 connects to your internet and projects onto your TV. You can search out any past TV shows and current ones as well as 1000's of movies and watch them at your liesure. Most good TV is from 7 PM to 11 PM unless your a soap fan. Every show that was on last night, I can watch it today when ever I want. You can also go "Live TV or Live Sports". I go live at FS1 to watch Nascar.

All the old shows I watch have no commercials. That means it takes 45 minutes to watch an hour show.

The ARNU BOX 10 connects to your internet and projects onto your TV. You can search out any past TV shows and current ones as well as 1000's of movies and watch them at your liesure. Most good TV is from 7 PM to 11 PM unless your a soap fan. Every show that was on last night, I can watch it today when ever I want. You can also go "Live TV or Live Sports". I go live at FS1 to watch Nascar.

All the old shows I watch have no commercials. That means it takes 45 minutes to watch an hour show.

Don't you need a cable subscription to get FS1? Do they have NBCSN?

I cant explain it either but I've lost quite a bit of interest as well. I dont care for 1.5 and 2 mile tracks --boring-- Someone leading from the drop of the green to checkered, again boring even if it's "my guy". Team domination, again, boring--There are Too many commercials lately. Short tracks where 30 laps into it and 11 cars on the lead lap, this puts a damper on your "pick" if you ever wanted the underdog to get a win. Underdogs will never get a win unless it a wreck-fest at plate race. Yes, empty stands and usually 3 cars short of a full field--40 cars the last few races. Single car team wins are great, last season M.Truex win was nice to see, he isnt a single car team anymore not even close. On Sundays the race is on my TV in my mancave but if I see 5 minutes straight of the race that would be a lot. Its just 'on" in the background as I work on stuff especially now that the weather is nice and the grill has propane in it. Nascar races are way too predictable the last few years.

I cant explain it either but I've lost quite a bit of interest as well. I dont care for 1.5 and 2 mile tracks --boring-- Someone leading from the drop of the green to checkered, again boring even if it's "my guy". Team domination, again, boring--There are Too many commercials lately. Short tracks where 30 laps into it and 11 cars on the lead lap, this puts a damper on your "pick" if you ever wanted the underdog to get a win. Underdogs will never get a win unless it a wreck-fest at plate race. Yes, empty stands and usually 3 cars short of a full field--40 cars the last few races. Single car team wins are great, last season M.Truex win was nice to see, he isnt a single car team anymore not even close. On Sundays the race is on my TV in my mancave but if I see 5 minutes straight of the race that would be a lot. Its just 'on" in the background as I work on stuff especially now that the weather is nice and the grill has propane in it. Nascar races are way too predictable the last few years.
40 is the new 43 these days. :D

To give you an idea on streaming figures:

http://blogs.wsj.com/cmo/2015/06/30/womens-world-cup-fox-sports-streaming/

Similarly, WatchESPN's record is an average of 585,000 viewers per minute and 1.9 million unique viewers for a college football game (Alabama-Clemson NCG) that averaged 26.2 million viewers across ESPN's TV platforms.

Thanks buddy. That is interesting to see and I think those numbers are fair game as part of a 'pay tv' package. Mainly people watching on the go or on a portable device at home as the 'Mrs' is watching the TV :eek:

I am still very interested to see how many people watch live NASCAR streams that they do not have to pay for - i.e. not totally legal ones. TV subscriptions are not cheap and I know in the UK and in fact globally, programs like Kodi are becoming ever more popular for people that want to watch live sports/tv/movies but do not want to pay for it and you can watch any live sports stream on there and it costs nothing. Those figures would not be traceable and would account for a drop (however big it may be) in TV viewing figures.

I think Jeff Gordon not racing has had some effect on the ratings this year as well. Gordon was probably the 2nd most popular driver behind Jr., and many of them likely bolted once Gordon hung it up. Perhaps Chase will win back some of those fans, but Chase ain't quite Gordon just yet.

And speaking of Jr, NASCAR has to be quaking in their boots at the fact that Jr will be 42 this year. The sport's multi-year Most Popular Driver will likely be retired by the time the next TV deal rolls around.

The race ended up with a 3.8, which ties a record low TV rating. More of the same "people are just not tuning in like they used to"
http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2016/05/nascar-ratings-fox-talladega-ties-lowest-overnight-1998/
NASCAR Sprint Cup racing from Talladega (AL) earned a 3.8 overnight rating on FOX Sunday afternoon, flat in ratings compared to last year and down 5% from 2014 (4.0). The 3.8 overnight is tied with last year as the lowest for the spring Talladega race since at least 1998 (excluding rainouts).

The race has either tied or set a multi-year low in four straight years. As recently as a decade ago, it had a 6.1 overnight.

I don't think the serious lack of attendance and viewership of Nascar events is something to push the panic button over more than it is an opportunity to get things right.

However those that are unconcerned on any level about Nascar's aging fan base and overall lack of interest remind me of a scene from one of the Naked Gun movies. I don't remember what happens but Frank Drebin is standing in front of a bunch of things exploding all the while saying "Nothing to see here, nothing to see here."

I don't think the serious lack of attendance and viewership of Nascar events is something to push the panic button over more than it is an opportunity to get things right.

However those that are unconcerned on any level about Nascar's aging fan base and overall lack of interest remind me of a scene from one of the Naked Gun movies. I don't remember what happens but Frank Drebin is standing in front of a bunch of things exploding all the while saying "Nothing to see here, nothing to see here."

I don't know what NASCAR/tracks can do to make things any more desirable to go to a NASCAR race. The racing has been excellent IMO. The 'at track' experience is awesome. Ticket prices are more than reasonable for many tracks. Especially for the entertainment value. I can only do my part and go to the events that I can afford and watch the other ones on television

It all looks great. And my mate has just suggested I watch some of the Ohio State half time shows and spent half an hours trawling through some amazing stuff! Those guys are amazing - I think I would pay just to watch that half time show let alone the match!!

Just gotta sort out the £550 flight ticket and get it down to a more reasonable £200! :(

Also saw the tickets for Flor State matches are $180 min!! Jesus! I guess it's pretty special when youre there but I thought these were the second tier football matches!! :O

Florida State is where I went to school, so I'm partial. But I say we has the best traditions between the Warchant and Chief Osceola planting the spear. Google that for more great college football pageantry!

Florida State is where I went to school, so I'm partial. But I say we has the best traditions between the Warchant and Chief Osceola planting the spear. Google that for more great college football pageantry!
Check out my Avatar. :p

I don't know what NASCAR/tracks can do to make things any more desirable to go to a NASCAR race. The racing has been excellent IMO. The 'at track' experience is awesome. Ticket prices are more than reasonable for many tracks. Especially for the entertainment value. I can only do my part and go to the events that I can afford and watch the other ones on television

I think the racing has been fantastic this year and I have thoroughly enjoyed it. IMO Nascar has solved a huge problem by going from an undesirable product to a desirable one but the work is only half done. Nascar and the track promoters need to relentlessly market the product and when they think they have done enough they need to start over again and do twice as much.

In the future I see most Cup events having between 35K and 55K attenders and that is OK. I think the money and time involved in attending Nascar races makes it difficult for many people to attend and it seems a lot more people do things on a more spur of the moment basis now.

The way I see it is if McDonald's can entice people to come in and buy substandard lukewarm food from dirty restaurants from workers who are a few fries short of a happy meal then anything is possible.

I think it was Dominoes Pizza that had commercials a few years ago where they essentially apologized for losing there way and promised to do better. I think a mea culpa and some glad handing toward the older guard would go a long way while simultaneously putting the hard press on Millennials.

GO 'NOLES........Florida State RULES......Nuthin better than sitting/standing in Doak Campbell......no wonder why we get along so well.......

I can only do my part and go to the events that I can afford and watch the other ones on television

I think that is part of the issue, most people can't afford to go to more than 1 event and probably can't afford to go to the first event. People have cut their cable because they can't afford that either so now there is very little opportunity to watch the races unless they are on Fox/NBC. I feel like NASCAR's situation is very similar to the LA Dodgers. The Dodgers created their own cable channel but only 1 cable company carries it and it is extremely expensive to watch. So people have stopped watching.
The Chicago Blackhawks used to do the same thing. Before the current owner took over operations, they would prevent games from being televised. The thought was that unless the stadium sold out, we are losing revenue to the television. Well due to this thought-process, the Blackhawks were never really considered Chicago's team. Fast forward to 5-10 years ago when new management comes in. The games are televised, more revenue comes in, they win a championship and suddenly they are Chicago's darling and everyone in the city is running around with Blackhawk jerseys on.

My point is that if you make it too difficult for people to watch, they won't watch. NASCAR needs to fight to keep the cup races on FOX/NBC. This (and fantasy sports) are the only reason football is so popular.

Some more info.....

Talladega TV Ratings: NASCAR Sprint Cup racing from Talladega earned a 3.8 overnight rating on FOX Sunday afternoon, flat in ratings compared to last year and down 5% from 2014 (4.0). The 3.8 overnight is tied with last year as the lowest for the spring Talladega race since at least 1998 (excluding rainouts). Despite the historic low, Sunday's race was the first Sprint Cup telecast of the season to at least pull even with last year. Eight of the first ten races posted declines and two others - Bristol and Richmond - could not be compared because of last year's rainouts. In addition, it ranks as the top rated NASCAR race in the metered markets in nearly two months, since Las Vegas in March (4.1). For the weekend, NASCAR on FOX ranked second among all sporting events behind the Blazers/Warriors NBA playoff game on ABC (5.0).(Sports Media Watch)(5-3-2016)

to be honest its a NASCAR problem,
the "fixed" super bowl had 100 million viewers.

Would NASCAR ratings improve if the majority of races were aired during primetime during the NFL off season? Possibly. As a diehard fan, I wouldn't mind a few Monday night races and I think this would also attract more casual viewers who need something to tie them over until football season starts. Wasn't the Dayotna 500 a few years ago that was run on a Monday night one of the highest ever rated races?

Would NASCAR ratings improve if the majority of races were aired during primetime during the NFL off season? Possibly. As a diehard fan, I wouldn't mind a few Monday night races and I think this would also attract more casual viewers who need something to tie them over until football season starts. Wasn't the Dayotna 500 a few years ago that was run on a Monday night one of the highest ever rated races?

I think that if Nascar and the networks got a little more creative with the schedule they would be rewarded for it.

It had the second-highest total audience ever (36.5 million viewers), but a lot of people probably tuned in just to see the jet dryer aftermath. The rating was the sixth-lowest since it was first televised live in full in 1979 and the average viewership ranked fourteenth across the same time period.

It had the second-highest total audience ever (36.5 million viewers), but a lot of people probably tuned in just to see the jet dryer aftermath. The rating was the sixth-lowest since it was first televised live in full in 1979 and the average viewership ranked fourteenth across the same time period.

Thank you again for the salient facts you provide as they always add perspective.

Some more info.....

Talladega TV Ratings: NASCAR Sprint Cup racing from Talladega earned a 3.8 overnight rating on FOX Sunday afternoon, flat in ratings compared to last year and down 5% from 2014 (4.0). The 3.8 overnight is tied with last year as the lowest for the spring Talladega race since at least 1998 (excluding rainouts). Despite the historic low, Sunday's race was the first Sprint Cup telecast of the season to at least pull even with last year. Eight of the first ten races posted declines and two others - Bristol and Richmond - could not be compared because of last year's rainouts. In addition, it ranks as the top rated NASCAR race in the metered markets in nearly two months, since Las Vegas in March (4.1). For the weekend, NASCAR on FOX ranked second among all sporting events behind the Blazers/Warriors NBA playoff game on ABC (5.0).(Sports Media Watch)(5-3-2016)

Sad that it seems like they gained a little momentum and the next month of racing is now on FS1.

Sad that it seems like they gained a little momentum and the next month of racing is now on FS1.
While it certainly is for some fans I'm guessing FOX must look at this as a wining situation for them. Maybe what they gain in new subscriber fees for FS1 justifies it in their eyes? I just don't know.

While it certainly is for some fans I'm guessing FOX must look at this as a wining situation for them. Maybe what they gain in new subscriber fees for FS1 justifies it in their eyes? I just don't know.

Initially I thought the FOX and NBC plan of being able to charge more dough to the cable/sat providers was a good plan that made sense. However I have not heard of one single increase being asked for much less granted and if anything it has shown the $6+ ESPN charges to be way out of line.

Cable/Sat customers seem to have become militant in the past few years as they are incensed with having to fork out big bucks for packages that mainly include channels they don't want and never will want. People are cutting the cord and/or refusing to be blackmailed into paying more money for higher tier programming in order to receive one channel they may watch once or twice a week. I totally get that.

Back
Top Bottom