2016 NASCAR Season - Television Ratings Thread

What we've been seeing in recent weeks is probably how it'll be for the rest of the season. In the 3s for races on the main broadcast networks & in the 2s for races on the cable networks. May see it in the 4s for the bigger events (Daytona in July, the Brickyard, & the Chase races).

Don't think the final Kansas ratings got posted: http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2016/05/nascar-ratings-fs1-kansas-viewership-increase/

With the caveat that last year’s race set a historically low bar, Sprint Cup viewership increased for the second straight week.

NASCAR Sprint Cup racing from Kansas delivered 3.1 million viewers on Fox Sports 1 Saturday night, up 27% from last year (2.5M) but down 45% from 2014 on the FOX broadcast network (5.8M). Ratings were not immediately available.

Last year’s race, which finished after 1 AM ET due to a two-hour rain delay, had the smallest Sprint Cup audience since at least 2008 (excluding races that were postponed or moved to another network). This year’s race did not fare much better, with the fourth-smallest audience over that span.

Despite the low numbers, Saturday’s race was the second straight Sprint Cup telecast to have an increase in viewership and just the third of the season, joining Talladega (+6%) and Martinsville (+4%).

Head-to-head, it trailed both the Warriors/Blazers NBA playoff game on ABC (5.8M) and the Penguins/Capitals NHL playoff game on NBC (4.2M) — no real surprise given those events aired on broadcast and, in the case of the NHL, had a lead-in from the Kentucky Derby.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2016/05/nascar-ratings-fs1-dover-viewership-up-sprint-cup/

For the second time in three races on FS1, NASCAR viewership rebounded from a decline in the overnights.

NASCAR Sprint Cup racing from Dover earned nearly 4.0 million viewers on Fox Sports 1 Sunday afternoon, up 1% from last year (3.9M) but down 26% from 2014 on the FOX broadcast network (5.4M). Ratings were not immediately available.

The increase in viewership marks a turnaround from the overnight ratings, which fell by 4%. Keep in mind that does not necessarily mean final ratings increased, as the two metrics are separate and can go in opposite directions.

Viewership has now increased for the past three NASCAR races, with Kansas up 27% the previous week and Talladega up 6% two weeks prior. Eight of the previous nine races either declined from last year or could not be compared due to rain.

All three races on Fox Sports 1 this season have posted a year-over-year increase, with the caveat that last year’s numbers set the bar low. Sunday’s race ranks as the sixth-most watched NASCAR telecast in the history of the network, including its days as Speed Channel.

Even with the improved numbers, Matt Kenseth‘s win still delivered the second-smallest audience for the spring Dover race since at least 2001.

Nascar has been hemorrhaging fans for so long that flat YOY ratings are a victory. If they can continue this trend for the rest of the season the bleeding might have finally stopped.

Last year's ratings took a pounding because many of these races moved from Fox, TNT, ESPN and ABC to FS1 and NBCSN.

• NASCAR Xfinity Series racing from Dover earned a 1.1 final rating and 1.6 million viewers on FOX last Sunday, down a tick in ratings and 11% in viewership from last year (1.2, 1.8M) and the lowest rated and least-watched race on broadcast since the current TV deal began last year since reacquiring rights (seven telecasts). It was the first Xfinity Series race to decline in viewership since Phoenix in March. (viaSports Business Daily)
http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/201...csn-nascar-xfinity-fox-dunk-king-tnt/#xfinity

from jayski.....

The 2016 NASCAR All-Star Race earned a 1.7 overnight rating on Fox Sports 1 Saturday night, down 19% from last year (2.1) and even with 2014. The 1.7 is tied as the lowest for the race in at least four years (complete overnights prior to 2013 were not available). The All-Star Race ranks as the lowest rated Sprint Cup telecast of the season in the metered markets, falling below the previous mark set by Kansas two weeks earlier (1.8). No other race has dipped below the 2.0 mark. As is usually the case, NASCAR's All-Star event pales in comparison to those in other sports. The NBA All-Star Game had a 5.4 in February, the NFL Pro Bowl had a 5.0 in January, and the MLB All-Star Game had a 7.8 last July. The race did top the NHL All-Star Game, which had a 1.2

from jayski.....

The 2016 NASCAR All-Star Race earned a 1.7 overnight rating on Fox Sports 1 Saturday night, down 19% from last year (2.1) and even with 2014. The 1.7 is tied as the lowest for the race in at least four years (complete overnights prior to 2013 were not available). The All-Star Race ranks as the lowest rated Sprint Cup telecast of the season in the metered markets, falling below the previous mark set by Kansas two weeks earlier (1.8). No other race has dipped below the 2.0 mark. As is usually the case, NASCAR's All-Star event pales in comparison to those in other sports. The NBA All-Star Game had a 5.4 in February, the NFL Pro Bowl had a 5.0 in January, and the MLB All-Star Game had a 7.8 last July. The race did top the NHL All-Star Game, which had a 1.2

Time to make it a dirt track event to put some pride on the line. It would be one of the most watched events of the year.

Oh yeah, Eldora would be great.

They actually have a dirt track on the same grounds as the Charlotte Motor Speedway. I don't know how it compares to Eldora, but at least they could stay in town so they don't have to travel anywhere.

The low ratingsare not as the sport's fault. Bars are filled with people socializing and not watching tV anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
A new format created social media buzz, but little in the way of ratings, for NASCAR’s All-Star Race.

The 2016 NASCAR All-Star Race had a 2.0 final rating and 3.3 million viewers on Fox Sports 1 Saturday night, down 5% in ratings and 14% in viewership from last year (2.1, 3.8M) and down 9% and 5%, respectively, from 2014 (2.2, 3.5M).

The 2.0 rating is the lowest for the All-Star Race since at least 1999, falling below the previous mark set last year. Viewership was also the lowest in at least ten years (complete viewership data prior to 2007 was not immediately available).

The All-Star Race earned the third-lowest rating and viewership for any Sprint Cup telecast this season, ahead of only Kansas two weeks earlier (1.9, 3.1M) and Daytona 500 qualifying on FOX in February (1.7, 2.8M).

Head-to-head, it trailed the NBA’s Eastern Conference Finals on ESPN (3.3, 5.5M) but beat the NHL conference finals on NBC (1.4, 2.3M) and — notably — Major League Baseball on the FOX broadcast network (1.4, 2.2M). It also topped the NHL and MLB telecasts in adults 18-49.
http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2016/05/nascar-all-star-ratings-fs1-viewership/

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2016/05/nascar-coca-cola-600-ratings-lowest-fox-overnight-indy/

For the third straight year, NASCAR’s Coca-Cola 600 earned its lowest overnight on FOX.

NASCAR Sprint Cup racing from Charlotte earned a 3.2 overnight rating on FOX Sunday evening, down 11% from last year (3.6), down 18% from 2014 (3.9) and the lowest overnight for the race since moving to FOX in 2001 — including rainouts. The race has now set or tied a multi-year low in five of the past seven seasons and each of the past three.

Overnight ratings have now declined for all-but-three Sprint Cup races this year, with seven of the 13 down by double-digits and six hitting a multi-year low.

The 3.2 overnight is not just low by Charlotte standards, tying the second-lowest overnight for any Sunday Sprint Cup race on FOX. This season has produced the three lowest Sunday overnights, with Bristol also earning a 3.2 and Richmond setting the low bar at 2.9.

For the holiday weekend, the Coca-Cola 600 ranked third behind the Indianapolis 500 on ABC (4.1) and Game 7 of the NBA Western Conference Finals on TNT (11.2), but ahead of Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Final on NBC (2.7). While the Indy 500 usually earns a higher overnight than the Coca-Cola 600, with NASCAR taking top honors in the final nationals, this year’s percentage gap between the events was the largest since 2005 — making a reversal in the final tally unlikely.

According to Adam Stern of SBD, overnight ratings for Monaco were down as well, meaning all three races this weekend suffered a drop in overnights. Disappointing, imo. I'd be curious to know how they performed in social media.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2016/05/nascar-coca-cola-600-ratings-lowest-fox-overnight-indy/

According to Adam Stern of SBD, overnight ratings for Monaco were down as well, meaning all three races this weekend suffered a drop in overnights. Disappointing, imo. I'd be curious to know how they performed in social media.

Big headline here: Indy 500 may beat Coke 600. While not necessarily indicative that NASCAR is in trouble, it is just another blow to the sport that has consistently dominated IndyCar for 20+ years. There's no question which series put on a better race last Sunday, either.

Big headline here: Indy 500 may beat Coke 600. While not necessarily indicative that NASCAR is in trouble, it is just another blow to the sport that has consistently dominated IndyCar for 20+ years. There's no question which series put on a better race last Sunday, either.
Does the Coke 600 normally beat the Indy 500? I didn't know that. I would have thought that the Indy 500 would have always crushed all competition. It's certainly a more prestigious race.

Does the Coke 600 normally beat the Indy 500? I didn't know that. I would have thought that the Indy 500 would have always crushed all competition. It's certainly a more prestigious race.
Last year was the first time since 2005 that Indy got a better rating and the first time since 2001 it had more viewership.

It would appear to me that auto racing as a whole continues to decline, or Nielsen ratings are significantly flawed, or more people participated in other activities over the holiday weekend. Or a combination of the above. Other sports post increases more frequently though, so I'm not sure how flawed the ratings can really be.

It would appear to me that auto racing as a whole continues to decline, or Nielsen ratings are significantly flawed, or more people participated in other activities over the holiday weekend. Or a combination of the above. Other sports post increases more frequently though, so I'm not sure how flawed the ratings can really be.

I won't disagree with you there. If Indy ends up taking a slightly bigger slice of a ever-shrinking pot, I guess it is somewhat irrelevant....

A question for those who attended the 600... How full were the grandstands? Good crowd, or disappointing crowd? TIA.

A question for those who attended the 600... How full were the grandstands? Good crowd, or disappointing crowd? TIA.

Actually, pretty good IMO. Maybe a couple no shows here or there but overall full. Couldn't see the very front rows or the ford grandstand though.

I can;t help but laugh when people blame bad ratings on races moving off the networks. The reason it was moved off the network is because it wasent getting ratings.

I think the million dollar question is why so few people under 30 are interested in motorsports. When I was growing up having a driver's license and a car was paramount to your very existence and no matter how square your car was you had to try and make it cool in some way. You kept your care uber clean and you were always fiddling with something whether it needed it or not and you were always dreaming of what you were going to do to it next.[/QUOTE]

Charlotte Overnight TV Ratings: The Sunday before Memorial Day was predictably quiet in the broadcast ratings. FOX's coverage of the NASCAR Coca-Cola 600 was the night's ratings leader, averaging a 1.3/6 in adults 18-49, 3.16 total overnight rating (versus 3.59 rating last year) with 5.57 million viewers, pending updates.(TVbytheNumbers / Nielsen Company / showbuzzdaily.com)
AND The 2016 Indianapolis 500 earned a 4.12 overnight rating on ABC Sunday afternoon, down 5% from last year (4.27) and even with 2014. The 4.1 is tied as the third-lowest for the race since it began airing live in 1986 (Sports Media Watch)(5-31-2016)

The 2016 Indianapolis 500 earned a 4.12 overnight rating on ABC Sunday afternoon, down 5% from last year (4.27) and even with 2014. The 4.1 is tied as the third-lowest for the race since it began airing live in 1986 (Sports Media Watch)(5-31-2016)

This makes me a lot less concerned about NASCAR because it seems to be happening to all motorsports. I think there is something going on with the ratings system too. Didn't Nielson change it not too long ago? I will have to try to dig that article up.

I think the million dollar question is why so few people under 30 are interested in motorsports. When I was growing up having a driver's license and a car was paramount to your very existence and no matter how square your car was you had to try and make it cool in some way. You kept your care uber clean and you were always fiddling with something whether it needed it or not and you were always dreaming of what you were going to do to it next.
http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2016/01/the-decline-of-the-drivers-license/425169/

Good article on how fewer and fewer people are getting licenses and driving their own cars. I know I have several friends (early 20's) that don't have a license and use a bus, Uber, or Lyft if they have to get somewhere outside of walking or biking distance.

Young people are not getting driver’s licenses so much anymore. In fact, no one is. According to a new study by Michael Sivak and Brandon Schoettle at the University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute, the percentage of people with a driver’s license decreased between 2011 and 2014, across all age groups. For people aged 16 to 44, that percentage has been decreasing steadily since 1983.

It’s especially pronounced for the teens—in 2014, just 24.5 percent of 16-year-olds had a license, a 47-percent decrease from 1983, when 46.2 percent did. And at the tail end of the teen years, 69 percent of 19-year-olds had licenses in 2014, compared to 87.3 percent in 1983, a 21-percent decrease.

Among young adults, the declines are smaller but still significant—16.4 percent fewer 20-to-24-year-olds had licenses in 2014 than in 1983, 11 percent fewer 25-to-29-year-olds, 10.3 percent fewer 30-to-34-year-olds, and 7.4 percent fewer 35-to-39-year-olds. For people between 40 and 54, the declines were small, less than 5 percent.

Above 55, the story’s a little different. Older adults were more likely to have a driver’s license in 2014 than in 1983—in the case of those 70 and older, 43.6 percent more likely. But these age groups, too, saw a modest decline from 2011 to 2014.

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2016/01/the-decline-of-the-drivers-license/425169/

Good article on how fewer and fewer people are getting licenses and driving their own cars. I know I have several friends (early 20's) that don't have a license and use a bus, Uber, or Lyft if they have to get somewhere outside of walking or biking distance.
Times really have changed. I remember when I was 14 or 15 counting down the days until I could get my license. Kids today don't seem to care though. I have a nephew who's 20, doesn't have a license, and doesn't care to get one.

Times really have changed. I remember when I was 14 or 15 counting down the days until I could get my license. Kids today don't seem to care though. I have a nephew who's 20, doesn't have a license, and doesn't care to get one.
It's not that they don't want to their license as much as the cost.

A 16 year old male is going to need 2000 a year to cover insurance costs around here. Better have rich parents....

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

When you factor in inflation and everything, my parents could buy a house for what it costs to buy a car now.

You could spend about $4,000 and buy a 20-year-old car. Though you can probably expect it to not last long if it's a GM or Chrysler product -- which is, ironically, about all you'll find on the used car market a lot of times.

I remember when I was trying to buy a new car. My stepdad was shocked to see that $17,500 is the low end and, realistically, it comes out to a lot more when you factor in car payments and stuff.

That's one trend I haven't seen around here, kids not wanting licenses. It's pretty rural here, just small towns. No public transportation to speak of. If a kid wants a job, he better have transportation. And the jobs are few and far between, so you have to take what you can get.

Odd because the Indy 500 has proved time & time again to be the more entertaining race.

IndyCar's audience is in a slow but steady increase for the past five years or so and NASCAR's audience is in a perpetual state of decline.

I expected this year's Indy 500 ratings to be down. ABC did jack and **** to promote the race. Even during the broadcast, they had countless promos for NBA but only one for the next IndyCar race.

Hopefully, IndyCar kicks ABC to the curb when the TV contracts are up for renewal and gives everything to NBC.

It's not that they don't want to their license as much as the cost.

A 16 year old male is going to need 2000 a year to cover insurance costs around here. Better have rich parents....

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Oh, if you're young and a male, you can expect to get boned on auto insurance. I think I was paying $360/month at one point.

In North Carolina, you're required to have car insurance to have a license. So, if you don't actually have a car, what's the point in having a license?

Odd because the Indy 500 has proved time & time again to be the more entertaining race.
[ I think it could be because a lot of fans are out doing other things during the day with their family on a holiday weekend. But, at night they are back home where they can watch the 600.

This makes me a lot less concerned about NASCAR because it seems to be happening to all motorsports. I think there is something going on with the ratings system too. Didn't Nielson change it not too long ago? I will have to try to dig that article up.

Other than the 500 open wheel racing in America is irrelevant. It is so hard to type that sentence but unfortunately it is true.

Back
Top Bottom