NASCAR stages road course test at Charlotte Motor Speedway

dpkimmel2001

Team Owner

Could a road course race be in Charlotte Motor Speedway’s future?

Last Friday, AJ Allmendinger tested on what was roughly a 2.3-mile circuit similar to Daytona International Speedway that incorporates both the infield in Turns 1 and 2 and the regular 1.5-mile oval according to multiple sources.

The test was a collaboration between Charlotte Motor Speedway and NASCAR.

Two years ago, Two years ago, Motorsport.com floated the possibility of incorporating a road course at Charlotte Motor Speedway. SMI CEO Marcus Smith told Motorsport.com at the time that an announcement was expected in October (2015) but nothing materialized. He added that CMS’s plan included three different lengths of road course and the possibility could be “awesome.”

The road course itself is nothing new to Charlotte Motor Speedway which has hosted Sport Car Club of America events and other races in the past. However, since Joe Lee Johnson won the first race in 1960, the track has only used the 1.5-mile oval for NASCAR.

Sources said Charlotte could incorporate the road course as early as the All-Star Race, which is scheduled for May 20. It’s more likely the road course would be used for the fall Chase race on Oct. 7. Fans have been clamoring for a road course in NASCAR’s playoffs and Charlotte could offer the perfect solution.

The Monster Energy NASCAR Cup schedule currently features two road courses — Sonoma Raceway, which hosts the tour in June, and the August Watkins Glen race.

The NASCAR Xfinity Series competes on three road courses: Watkins Glen, Road America and Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course. NXS is scheduled to compete at Charlotte on Oct. 6.

Certainly, if the Charlotte plan comes to fruition, transitioning to a road course could be an option at other facilities. Indianapolis Motor Speedway and Kansas Speedway, for instance, already feature road courses as part of their landscape.

http://www.motorsport.com/nascar-cu...urse-test-at-charlotte-motor-speedway-866949/

http://www.catchfence.com/253895/ch...r_tweet&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitter

Last edited:
Do this. Run the All Star Race on the road course to spice it up AND to give drivers a chance to get familiar with the layout. Then run the Chase Race on it. Would be great.

Fans didn't ask for fake road courses, they asked for real ones. All-Star Race? Sure. If they use this to replace the Charlotte Chase race that would be so incredibly lazy.

Fans didn't ask for fake road courses, they asked for real ones. All-Star Race? Sure. If they use this to replace the Charlotte Chase race that would be so incredibly lazy.

NASCAR can't add or remove any venues in Cup until after 2020. Everything's been locked into place by sanctioning agreements with two publicly traded companies (as well as IMS, DVD and Pocono) that were signed in 2015. We're stuck with The Brobdingnagians Guess Monster Energy wants to try something different with them, which is fine by me.

I'll take a fake road course race over any one of the 1.5'ers but certainly and actual road course would be preferred. Baby steps. At least it's a step in the right direction, if it actually turns into something.

NASCAR can't add or remove any venues in Cup until after 2020. Everything's been locked into place by sanctioning agreements with two publicly traded companies (as well as IMS, DVD and Pocono) that were signed in 2015.
I knew that was bull**** when I first saw it.

Would someone tell me what the red and blue dots on the graphic represent?

Boy, this'll ratchet up ticket sales down in Turn 1. And that Oct. race is a night race! They've finally found a way to get my @$$ to make the trip up there at night again!

Last edited:
I don't know what to say about this or the "big changes" post. But, in all seriousness, since there seems to be a massive amount of change, in form or another, coming soon, It is my hope that someone at Monster has seen the "energy" surrounding Eldora.
I have wanted to see Cup cars on dirt for as long as I can remember and if they can make the fall Charlotte race a road course, then there is no reason that Tony can't start ordering more seating right now!

I'd be fine with this. The road course looks cool in that it incorporates the vast majority of the main track. Since it's Charlotte, is it possible it's a third mid-week race rather than a loss of the 500-mile fall race?

This looks good on paper.

Correct me if Im wrong but there are 0 real passing zones in the infield course? Looks like majority of the passing would be achievable by the momentum gained by coming out of 8 & a braking zone going in 1.

Correct me if Im wrong but there are 0 real passing zones in the infield course? Looks like majority of the passing would be achievable by the momentum gained by coming out of 8 & a braking zone going in 1.
Maybe going into turn 5?

My big question is what they'll do about pit exit and the last half-dozen pit stalls.

Yes, the CMS road course is terrible and the heavy cup cars would not provide a good show there. You can see from the video above that even the sports cars don't pass much on the infield.
I would rather have a standard oval race than the CMS road course.
That said, the road course at indy makes a lot of sense and is well suited for the heavier cars.

This made me giddy like a little schoolgirl. Honestly I don't even care that it's a hybrid course, it could actually make the race really interesting considering no NASCAR series runs that type of layout. But really, I'm in favor of anything that replaces a dull 1.5 miler on the schedule, and with the sanctioning agreement being what it is, this is the best/most feasible option through 2020. I'm glad that at the very least, they're giving it a shot.

Yes, the CMS road course is terrible and the heavy cup cars would not provide a good show there. You can see from the video above that even the sports cars don't pass much on the infield.
That said, the road course at indy makes a lot of sense and is well suited for the heavier cars.
The road course at Indy to me reminds me of the one the Xfinity cars used to run up in Montreal. Totally flat, with lots of braking zones. Would be a hell of a show.

Would someone tell me what the red and blue dots on the graphic represent?

That is a track map from iracing. If you click on the red or blue dots while on the iracing website, it will show a picture of the track from that viewpoint. i.e. if you click the red dot on pit road, it will show you an image as if you were on pit road looking toward turn one.
I think the blue dots are tv camera views for the replay system in game.

FL for President.

Came to post this.

Make believe Road Courses wouldn't stimulate me like the real thing. There is plenty of the real thing to go around so I couldn't come up with one good reason to magnufacture one.

FL for President.

Came to post this.

Make believe Road Courses wouldn't stimulate me like the real thing. There is plenty of the real thing to go around so I couldn't come up with one good reason to magnufacture one.
'Cause NASCAR is contractually locked into the current tracks for another four seasons?

Some video from the road course.

Is it just me, or is that a different course than the one in the Motorsport diagram in the original post?????

EDIT - Specifically, there appears to be an entire new section between the diagram's turns 5 and 8.

Ha! They'll be able to watch themselves when they're on the short chute between 3 and 4!

'Cause NASCAR is contractually locked into the current tracks for another four seasons?

I read that but I dont buy it. If NASCAR wanted something new they'd work out a deal with a track that has two dates. NASCAR is too big and has pretty much monopolized racing in the United States to be contractually locked into anything.

HA! Old route as shown above in red. New route 'Dinger's driving in green. Note the dirt where they changed the pavement.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/C...d0f19562c2dfdf!8m2!3d35.3522053!4d-80.6875972

upload_2017-1-19_15-29-11.png

I read that but I dont buy it. If NASCAR wanted something new they'd work out a deal with a track that has two dates. NASCAR is too big and has pretty much monopolized racing in the United States to be contractually locked into anything.

I think this is more true than not. I get the point about ISC being publicly traded, but it is still ultimately controlled by the France family. I doubt there is enough power among independent shareholders to lead a revolt, and concessions can be provided to account for any changes they might make.

I know this is sacrilegious, but if we're experimenting at tracks with multiple dates and suitable road courses I'd use Daytona first and foremost. I think the product there would be pretty exciting, especially compared to the CMS course. I'd also think the Kansas road course would put on a better show than Charlotte's.

I know this is sacrilegious, but if we're experimenting at tracks with multiple dates and suitable road courses I'd use Daytona first and foremost. I think the product there would be pretty exciting, especially compared to the CMS course. I'd also think the Kansas road course would put on a better show than Charlotte's.
Isn't the viewing a little piss poor at Daytona? I've never been for a road coarse event there but I can't imagine it would be great.

I'll back you on that, but at this point I'll take whatever I can get. I've been pushing this for a few years as a way to add more road courses within the contractual constraints. I'd pushed it for several other tracks, and I'd completely forgotten Charlotte had an infield course.

Back
Top Bottom