Race Winnings

M

MCanyon

After each race the prize money for each driver is shown. I understand that drivers who finish behind other drivers can still get more prize money. But, my question is, how much of the winnings actually goes into the drivers pockets. Does each team decide how much money goes to the driver and to the rest of the crew? Or does NASCAR have rules about who gets what? I'm just curious.

Has a crew member, the end of the season is when everyone gets the prize money and they have to split between the driver and crews. But if the driver is endrosed by a big name company like Pepsi Cola (Jeff Gordon) or Coke (Steve Park) or Mountain Dew (Jeremy Mayfield) or new comers like Powerade (Matt Kenseth) or Gaterode (Brian Vickers) they get that money.

Also there are contigency awards that award money for who finishes 1st or who gains the most positions or who makes the move of the race or who leads the most laps.

Most drivers get a base pay plus 50 % of the winnings. there is many combo's each driver has a contract with his owner & sponsors.

it get very complicated

I think that each driver and owner have a contract as to how much of the purse the driver is given. So, possibly, each driver could get a different percentage.

Usually the posted amounts won at any particular event include any contingency moneys. However, most of those awards are actually paid to the teams at the Awards banquet or at the end of the season to those teams who do not finish high enough in the point standings to be invited to the banquet.

As far as the amounts actually paid to the driver, TRL is right, that depends entirely on the contract between the driver and team owner. Same thing with other team members.

Back
Top Bottom