Rally Driver to NASCAR ?

H

Happy29

From Jayski.com

Colin McRae is almost resigned to his career as a rally driver being cut short at the end of the season and is contemplating a switch to motor racing. It's not looking good. There's a couple of other things I'm looking at," he said. "Not all the doors are closed in the world championship. If I was five years younger I'd do another year just to be there, but I'm not doing it for nothing, in terms of money or the car. I always said if I stopped rallying I'd like to try something else." He declined to comment on rumours that he might consider taking up Nascar, North America's ultra-successful stock car formula, which races on banked ovals at speeds approaching 200mph. However, he has tried something similar, racing a less powerful car at the Rockingham Oval in the Midlands. He has also tested a formula one car, lapping Silverstone in a Jordan two seconds slower than Martin Brundle in 1999, in only 10 laps. But his racing experience is minimal.(much more at Guardian Unlimited)(9-5-2003)

UPDATE: Colin McRae admitted last night he is considering a move to the megabucks American stock car racing scene. The 35-year-old from Lanark, who saw Dutchman Petter Solberg grab a last-gasp victory in Rally Australia for Subaru, will have talks with officials from NASCAR. The 1995 world champion isn't guaranteed a top-team competitive seat in the 2004 world rally championship and he said: ``If that remains the case I will walk away from rallying. I will not drive for one of the lesser teams. Instead I'm going to look at other forms of motorsport and specifically Nascar.''(UK's Daily Record)(9-8-2003)

I think he wont make it in nascar. he will be the Ryan Leaf of the sport

Doesnt matter who he is, what matters is if he can race. On asphalt.

Back
Top Bottom