Random NASCAR Stuff to talk about.....

The first race of the Chase wasn't exactly a TV ratings bonanza.....a 2.3 rating with 3.7 million viewers. That's up from last year, however last year's Chicagoland race was rain delayed.
Shouldn't we give it a least a year or two? It takes awhile for some things to get all worked out.
Even unpopular politicians get years to turn things around.

they would be doing flip flops back at Nascar land central if the ratings were better. There was plenty of effort and money spent dreaming all this up, so I would guess they are still hoping and have their fingers crossed for a better result next week.

The first race of the Chase wasn't exactly a TV ratings bonanza.....a 2.3 rating with 3.7 million viewers. That's up from last year, however last year's Chicagoland race was rain delayed.
It was also the lowest-rated Chicagoland race ever and tied for the second lowest-rated Chase race ever.

It was also the lowest-rated Chicagoland race ever and tied for the second lowest-rated Chase race ever.
I'm a bit twisted, but back in the day without the spotlights and the manufactured hooplah and ratings, the racing wasn't as good, but it was a lot easier to watch, for me anyway. So I really don't sweat the lower ratings. Indycar and Formula 1 are much easier to watch and keep up with the race without all the endless promotional, fresh goodyear tires, and sonoco race fuel, aarons lucky dog horse waddeling.

Mike Joy ‏@mikejoy500 5m
Absolutely! #OpenTrailersRule@TheOrangeCone: Racing as a whole lost something when we stopped using open trailers.

BxwnY51IYAABH4R.jpg

Six-time champ Jimmie Johnson turns 39 today. Richard Petty won his seventh title at 42. Dale Earnhardt won his seventh at 43.

Wow, he doesn't look 39. He could easily be confused for someone in his early to mid 30s.

BOSTON-KENTUCKY: Justin Boston will make his first career Nationwide Series start this Saturday night when he drives the No. 20 Toyota for Joe Gibbs Racing at Kentucky.

Boston is also scheduled to drive the car next week at Dover.

Boston, who is 25, is in his second ARCA season driving for Venturini Motorsports. He was rookie of the year last season and has two ARCA wins this year.

Got this offer in my email today. Don't know if any of you are planning on going to Martinsville but this sounds like a decent deal.....

e0f96fdc5bf31f5002a4f277d4de4ea906276aaa5d886a719f4dce92edc6eb2d62f7bee151558d6e.jpg.of.ashx

@nascarcasm

"YAR - other cap'ns be stealin' me plunder! I'll keel-haul 'em at Scalawag Alliance meeting." #TalkLikeAPirateDay

Bx5ubEbCIAAUTMY.jpg:large

Last edited:
I guess I missed a detail on the new format. Non-chase drivers can finish as high as 5th and attend the banquet. o_O

I guess I missed a detail on the new format. Non-chase drivers can finish as high as 5th and attend the banquet. o_O
At one point I had a really good article explaining all of the Chase rules. I can't find it any longer and I don't remember what thread I posted it into but I thought that only the members of the Chase could finish as high as 5th in points, even if they fell out after this first elimination race. This is due to the way the points get reset. I was under the impression that they keep the Chase field through position 16 so far ahead of the 17th position that there is no way for the point difference to be made up.

Me and StandOnIt were debating it in the Kyle Larson thread. I agree with you dpk, I'm pretty sure all chasers are locked into the top 16 in points, and non-chasers can finish no higher than 17th.
It's too bad that this system is so convoluted that we are already into this Chase/Eliminator system and yet we still wonder what the heck the rules are. It seems nobody knows for certain. I thought I did but I'm now confused again.

yeah, found the Nascar site and wiki worded it where it looks like only the top four positions were locked in, and then when I went to sporting news and Jayski, and it sounded like only the knocked out chasers could compete for spots in the top 16th. I like the non chasers getting the opportunity to go for the fifth spot option myself. More dog eat dog that way,

Though I'm not sure how likely it is because don't the points get reset up to the next thousand each round?
I don't know for sure, but if a driver falls out of the eliminations therin lies the rub. Some are saying drop outs get their points restored to non chase funny points, some are saying they get reset to this:

Drivers who don't advance to the next round will have their point totals reset to the Chase-start base of 2,000 (with any regular-season wins bonus points), plus the additional points they've earned during the Chase.(NASCAR)(1-30-2014)

The problem I have with this is looking on Nascar.com where this supposed info comes from..it isn't there, the first statement is though, points are reset to pre chase status.

We probably won't know for sure until we have drop outs. I bet some of the Nascar brass don't know what the rules are. Oh Brian? how does this work again?

During qualifying today, I thought one of the talking heads said Jamie was racing hard because he can still finish as high as 5th. Then someone added "the top 10 go to the banquet".

During qualifying today, I thought one of the talking heads said Jamie was racing hard because he can still finish as high as 5th. Then someone added "the top 10 go to the banquet".

The top 10 drivers goes to the banquet thing has been there all along.

The nonchaser finishing as high as 5th seems problematic to me though. Say a non chaser does finish in the top 10. Does that mean he gets to go to the banquet? Someone didn't think this points system through. lol

Back
Top Bottom