Random NASCAR Stuff to talk about.....

Nice cards! I haven't bought any packs for years now; when Spencer stopped driving I became much less interested in the cards and die-casts. He was the one that I really made a point to collect.
I buy at least one box but up to a few cases of boxes of packs from each release. I don't collect anything but cards.

Papyrus/Sierra made fantastic Nascar games for the PC for a solid decade. I wish they were still making them.
I tried to give you two likes on this but it didn't work. Change the 'games' to 'sims' and you nailed it. The rest of the crap, no CRAP, that has been produced since Papy's last release are all nothing more than games with unrealistic AI and fluff trying to hide the fact that they are all inferior products. Eye Candy best describes all other releases.

Papyrus/Sierra made fantastic Nascar games for the PC for a solid decade. I wish they were still making them.

Actually most of the people who used to work for Papyrus/Sierra are now working for iRacing. :)

A quick Google search says that they went out of business and sold the code to the iRacing folks.

Why can't the iRacing people just acquire the NASCAR license and release console games?

Because the console people would be complaining that iRacing doesn't have any power-ups, or that you have to use a wheel and pedal, or that you know...you actually have to drive. iRacing people wouldn't be much better, they wouldn't want the "gamers" invading their turfs, wrecking half the field because they're trying to re-create a scene from Days of Thunder or Talladega Nights. The difference between Nascar: The Game 2014 (or whatever year they're on) and iRacing is that one if them is a game, the other is a sim that's realistic and good enough to get it's own sanctioned NASCAR series. :)

Because the console people would be complaining that iRacing doesn't have any power-ups, or that you have to use a wheel and pedal, or that you know...you actually have to drive. iRacing people wouldn't be much better, they wouldn't want the "gamers" invading their turfs, wrecking half the field because they're trying to re-create a scene from Days of Thunder or Talladega Nights. The difference between Nascar: The Game 2014 (or whatever year they're on) and iRacing is that one if them is a game, the other is a sim that's realistic and good enough to get it's own sanctioned NASCAR series. :)
Arcade style is more marketable in general.

How badly did Dirt 2 Daytona do? I just want a sim style game with updated NASCAR drivers, cars and tracks. I don't know why NASCAR is the only sport where "realism" is considered a bad thing when making video games. MLB, NFL, NHL and NBA games all strive for realism but we're stuck with some arcade crap.

How badly did Dirt 2 Daytona do? I just want a sim style game with updated NASCAR drivers, cars and tracks. I don't know why NASCAR is the only sport where "realism" is considered a bad thing when making video games. MLB, NFL, NHL and NBA games all strive for realism but we're stuck with some arcade crap.
Just my personal opinion, but I don't need a NASCAR game to be a 1:1 simulation. I just want it to be good.

Arcade style is more marketable in general.

While that may be true, it's not the market that iRacing is in. Honestly, I really really hope that iRacing never goes the console route, because that'd require them to dumb down the simulation and I've already seen too many simulation gaming companies do that. Microsoft did it with Microsoft's Flight. Dovetail Games did it with Train Simulator 20xx, and I like my simulators to be kind of hard and you have to work at it to get some enjoyment out of it.

While that may be true, it's not the market that iRacing is in. Honestly, I really really hope that iRacing never goes the console route, because that'd require them to dumb down the simulation and I've already seen too many simulation gaming companies do that. Microsoft did it with Microsoft's Flight. Dovetail Games did it with Train Simulator 20xx, and I like my simulators to be kind of hard and you have to work at it to get some enjoyment out of it.
Exactly. It's too bad good console sims are hard to come by, but why is understandable.

Anyone get their Dale call from Amazon yet ?
dale call.jpg

Back
Top Bottom