Random NASCAR Stuff to talk about.....

Gawd a'mightee, what the heck does 1999 have to do with squat? That was before the charter system. That was before the economy crashed, affecting the ability of fans, sponsors, and manufacturers to spend money. Hell, Pontiac was still in the sport.

Get a calendar.
One could say that every time someone says" the cars are not stock", how long has it been now?, probably longer than Ive been alive

Hey @4tires17gals. You mention something the other day why you had the name rainbow and it was about Jeff Gordon. But when the site came back up and you changed your name to this, just out of curiosity why?

Cr8gNIKXgAAqkci.jpg

Marty Smith ‏@MartySmithESPN 1h1 hour ago
My hand is resting on the tether cable for Colossus. Huge cabling. Have no idea how they could bend it.

I enjoyed Marty's writing back when he was a regular on NASCAR.com. When ESPN hired him, it was the first time I personally felt the network was actually taking stock cars seriously.

But he needs a couple of trips to the Golden Corral buffet.

Every year since Chicagoland became the first race of the Chase for the Cup, NASCAR has thrown some type of Chase Fest in or near downtown Chicago to promote the race, including events at the House of Blues and Navy Pier.

Anybody know of anything planned for this year ?

I wish she'd gone into more detail about what has changed in her yoga practice in the last several months that has allowed her to do more than in the previous years. I've been practicing yoga for about two years now, and most of the balance positions still result in my falling on my can.

I wish she'd gone into more detail about what has changed in her yoga practice in the last several months that has allowed her to do more than in the previous years. I've been practicing yoga for about two years now, and most of the balance positions still result in my falling on my can.
Visualizing your Lululemon pants. :D

There are women I would encourage to wear the things in public.

Others, I'm make a law against. They're the stuff nightmares are made of.

So what's the latest title sponsor rumor? I still think it's gonna be Hisense.
That is gonna piss of a lot of NASCAR fans, First Japan, and then a Chinese based company becoming the title sponsor, I need to stock up on popcorn.

So what's the latest title sponsor rumor? I still think it's gonna be Hisense.
I don't know much about Hisense other than they make TVs. Is NASCAR a good fit for a TV manufacturer? Unlike tobacco or the early days of the cell phone industry, I don't think there's much profit margin in boob tubes. Is there enough to support a multi-year 9-figure contract?

On the other hand, the NASCAR market does skew toward the older side. I understand the younger audience wants its content on little bitty screens; maybe we old folks are the only ones Hisense has left to sell to?

Maaaaaybe they are going to launch a new product line/service.
After all two cable channels are paying for the largest TV contract to date.:booya:

Is this for an episode or an NBC NASCAR promo? I googled, but all that comes up is the NASCAR Superstore, lol.
There is a show on NBC called "Super Store".

There is a show on NBC called "Super Store".

Sorry for the lack of clarity in my post. I meant is Jimmie Johnson going to be on an episode of the show or are they just doing an NBC NASCAR promo.

Sorry for the lack of clarity in my post. I meant is Jimmie Johnson going to be on an episode of the show or are they just doing an NBC NASCAR promo.
That I dont know.

I don't know much about Hisense other than they make TVs. Is NASCAR a good fit for a TV manufacturer? Unlike tobacco or the early days of the cell phone industry, I don't think there's much profit margin in boob tubes. Is there enough to support a multi-year 9-figure contract?

On the other hand, the NASCAR market does skew toward the older side. I understand the younger audience wants its content on little bitty screens; maybe we old folks are the only ones Hisense has left to sell to?

Hisense already started a marketing program fairly recently by sponsoring Hamlin in Xfinity part-time and tasting victory lane fast. They're a very aggressive company right now, and they bought Sharp's TV business to break into the US. Just like how Toyota used NASCAR to associate with being more "American", Hisense could do the same.

I don't think it would cost much in branding to give the trophy an official name--like the Earnhardt Petty Cup--while rebranding the series with whatever sponsor pays the most. We had the Winston Cup for 30 years, which built a consistent brand for the average inattentive fan. Now, we seem to be in a period where sponsorship will change more regularly. People know the Stanley Cup. The Lombardi Tropy etc. The Hisense Cup just sounds....really cheap in comparison. But the Hisense Series competing for the Earnhardt-Petty Cup is much more palatable.

Last edited:
The Hisense Company doesn't have to name it after their brand name. Winston cigarettes was the product being advertised by R. J. Reynolds Tobacco Company
Great point, but I have to agree with 29-4. Give the naming rights to the series to whoever is writing the checks but give the trophy a permanent name, one that has some significant relationship to the history of the sport. Hell, call it the France trophy.

Nascar Cup Champion Trophy. Isn't that what it is?
Nascar Truck Series Champion Trophy?
Nascar Series Two Trophy OR The Kyle Bush Series Trophy. :owquitit:

I didn't think this was worthy of its own thread, so I'm asking here...

Does anyone know if there is a website that can take race results and calculate the final points standings under different point systems and formats? I've seen a lot over the years, for example "this is how the 1991 season would have finished under the current Chase format" etc. I've seen so many out there that I find it hard to believe someone went through and manually recalculated all of them.

I'm asking because I'm just curious to see how the standings would've looked over the years under a slightly different points structure, and I'm interested to see how much of a difference it might have made.

I didn't think this was worthy of its own thread, so I'm asking here...

Does anyone know if there is a website that can take race results and calculate the final points standings under different point systems and formats? I've seen a lot over the years, for example "this is how the 1991 season would have finished under the current Chase format" etc. I've seen so many out there that I find it hard to believe someone went through and manually recalculated all of them.

I'm asking because I'm just curious to see how the standings would've looked over the years under a slightly different points structure, and I'm interested to see how much of a difference it might have made.
I saw one once that let you make your own ppint system (it's very hard to rig ot to male Kahne champion) but I lost the website and can't find it

jayski says kroger could be next sponsor?

http://www.jayski.com/news/pages/story/_/page/NASCAR-Sprint-Sponsorhip-News

France still believes the sanctioning body is on schedule to announce an entitlement sponsor for the Cup Series some time next month. "We're on schedule give a week or two here or there," France told Motorsport.com on Thursday. As for sponsors - or sponsor - France did not offer specifics other than to say it's shaping up to be just one for the entitlement. Although Kroger appeared to be one of the frontrunners mid-summer, the likelihood of other potential partners such as PayPal and Coca-Cola have been emerged as possibilities over the last month.(Motorsport)(9-16-

Back
Top Bottom