Random NASCAR Stuff to talk about.....

Danica in b/c she was a previous Pole Winner for the Daytona 500.

Suarez got in -- he didn't earn it, and NASCAR should've laughed at Joe Gibbs.

Clint Bowyer not allowed in...

http://autoracingdaily.com/clint-bowyer-daniel-suarezs-clash-status-should-be-same/
So what? Water under the bridge. The race has been run. End of story.
Constantly complaining about something that's over and done with is a waste of energy.
Unless, of course, you just like to argue moot points.

Why are you intervening? --- if folks on here can talk about Jeff Gordon's shoes, then I can respond to others...

^ It was a subtle message ... unfortunately lost on you. Not a surprise.

8 posts in and you're instructing the moderator. You'll be lucky if you last 2 weeks.

Last edited:
I agree the new guy needs to slow his roll...but...

QUOTE="TexasRaceLady, post: 1088937, member: 12"]
Constantly complaining about something that's over and done with is a waste of energy.
Unless, of course, you just like to argue moot points.[/QUOTE]

Above is what quite a few people do on this forum.

Ambrose opens up on comeback and retirement: Marcos Ambrose has opened up on his decision to retire from V8 Supercars in 2015, just months after returning to the sport. The Tasmanian won championships in 2003 and 2004 before moving to the USA to chase a career in NASCAR. Starting in the truck series in 2006, Ambrose moved up to the top-level Sprint Cup series in 2009 and completed six seasons. Ambrose then made the jump back to V8 Supercars when the American group Team Penske joined forces with Dick Johnson Racing. He competed in the final round of the 2014 season and the first of 2015 before coming to the realisation it was no longer for him. "The burnout was certainly there," he told respected commentator Greg Rust during a Q&A at the CAMS awards night on Saturday. "That's why when I came back to Australia I realised that I wasn't the right person to lead Dick Johnson/Team Penske on.
The rest here.

http://www.jayski.com/cupnews.htm#20170221a

Ambrose opens up on comeback and retirement: Marcos Ambrose has opened up on his decision to retire from V8 Supercars in 2015, just months after returning to the sport. The Tasmanian won championships in 2003 and 2004 before moving to the USA to chase a career in NASCAR. Starting in the truck series in 2006, Ambrose moved up to the top-level Sprint Cup series in 2009 and completed six seasons. Ambrose then made the jump back to V8 Supercars when the American group Team Penske joined forces with Dick Johnson Racing. He competed in the final round of the 2014 season and the first of 2015 before coming to the realisation it was no longer for him. "The burnout was certainly there," he told respected commentator Greg Rust during a Q&A at the CAMS awards night on Saturday. "That's why when I came back to Australia I realised that I wasn't the right person to lead Dick Johnson/Team Penske on.
The rest here.

http://www.jayski.com/cupnews.htm#20170221a
Interesting read. Sounds like he just burned out with the schedule. Don't blame him.

From Jayski...

Small Crowd for the Clash at Daytona: Sunday's Clash at Daytona was the 39th running of the annual exhibition. For much of its existence, it's been a show unto itself. This time, moved to Sunday's bright sunshine due to Saturday night's rain clouds, it served somewhat as a primer for the Daytona 500, which will also presumably run in warm sunshine. But unlike the 500, the Clash rolled out before the smallest crowd for a big-league Daytona race in memory, an estimated 15,000. You can blame the rain-mandated rescheduling. You can blame Dale Earnhardt Jr., who spent the day in the TV booth instead of his racecar. There's some rationale to both of those, but still, it wasn't a busy day at the ticket windows, and that's always troubling for Speedway officials. "If I'm disappointed, I'm disappointed for our team, because they've worked so hard to make sure we put on a great show for the fans," said Chip Wile, in his first Speedweeks as Speedway president.

I was there, and 15k even seems generous. I expected that though. There's literally no reason at all to purchase tickets through the box office in any given year for this race. You'll pay $125 for premium seating when you can buy a ticket from a scalper walking in for $50 and sit in the same exact seat. Which is what I did this year. Nobody goes.

From Jayski...

Small Crowd for the Clash at Daytona: Sunday's Clash at Daytona was the 39th running of the annual exhibition. For much of its existence, it's been a show unto itself. This time, moved to Sunday's bright sunshine due to Saturday night's rain clouds, it served somewhat as a primer for the Daytona 500, which will also presumably run in warm sunshine. But unlike the 500, the Clash rolled out before the smallest crowd for a big-league Daytona race in memory, an estimated 15,000. You can blame the rain-mandated rescheduling. You can blame Dale Earnhardt Jr., who spent the day in the TV booth instead of his racecar. There's some rationale to both of those, but still, it wasn't a busy day at the ticket windows, and that's always troubling for Speedway officials. "If I'm disappointed, I'm disappointed for our team, because they've worked so hard to make sure we put on a great show for the fans," said Chip Wile, in his first Speedweeks as Speedway president.

I was there, and 15k even seems generous. I expected that though.

Anyone know what the average attendance for this race was historically? Just curious as to the trend.

From Jayski...

I was there, and 15k even seems generous. I expected that though. There's literally no reason at all to purchase tickets through the box office in any given year for this race. You'll pay $125 for premium seating when you can buy a ticket from a scalper walking in for $50 and sit in the same exact seat. Which is what I did this year. Nobody goes.
I was looking at going and nope'd right outta there when I saw reserved seating (for practice, an ARCA race, and an exhibition race) started at $85. The Duels start even higher. I think even GA on Thursday is $70.

I was looking at going and nope'd right outta there when I saw reserved seating (for practice, an ARCA race, and an exhibition race) started at $85. The Duels start even higher. I think even GA on Thursday is $70.
The best part of it all - well there were two -

- I was asked to dispose of my open container (can of bud light) when entering the gates...while carrying a cooler full of them. NEVER have I been asked to do this, I've walked in for years drinking either a beer, or even a mixed drink in a solo cup for that matter. Knowing good and well that I was about to just pop open another beer once I crossed thru, you want me to throw this away? Really? Come on guys. I told him that just the night before I walked in with no issues and all I got was "That was last night sir." Well, in addition to last night it was also last year, and the year before that, and so on.

- After the clash was over, the girlfriend and I decided we would go out of the gate and visit the fanatics tent, etc. to kill some time before q'ing. Fortunately for me I thought to stop and ask if we'd be allowed re-entry without having to buy the separate ticket for that ($25 each) since originally they were scheduled for 2 separate days. NOPE. Sure enough, if we walked out, we'd have to spend the extra to get back in. So we stayed inside. I told the attendant, that's pretty sad, you have all of these people (including myself) that came the night before, paid for parking, for gas, saw no race and got no refund for these things, you'd think that they could do something fan friendly and reward people for their inconvenience. her reply was "Well you know with the renovation they've gotta have a way to pay for it." I said don't give me that, there's not a person on this earth that will convince me that they weren't able to pay for that out of pocket. We all know better. She smiled and chuckled in agreement.

As beautiful as the place is and as special as it will always be to me, they've gotten too big for their britches.

Seriously? With as small a crowd as they had for the race itself, did they actually think anybody would cough up $25 for just Q? On the other hand, it's not like you were crowded.

No point in debating with the hired help. They're just there for the weekend.

I think the main home page has changed, but the individual cup, xfinity and truck news pages are still the same. I admint, I always go straight to the cup page, but when I clicked on the home page something new came up that I had never seen.
See link
http://www.espn.com/jayski/
Looks too much like Nascar.com........ I just want to read news stories..... not see a whole bunch of picture fluff......

Interesting, while watching reruns of the Simpsons on my local CW affilate station, there was an advert for a Countdown To Dayton show that is going to air Saturday night at 930PM PST

Seriously? With as small a crowd as they had for the race itself, did they actually think anybody would cough up $25 for just Q? On the other hand, it's not like you were crowded.

No point in debating with the hired help. They're just there for the weekend.
The 500 and 400 ticket prices are expected because the capacity is reduced now, especially the 500 since it was the only remaining event that still used the Superstretch stands from before the renovation. Every other NASCAR event there isn't worth it, and the stands never come even close to filling up. Honestly obscene.

The best part of it all - well there were two -

- I was asked to dispose of my open container (can of bud light) when entering the gates...while carrying a cooler full of them. NEVER have I been asked to do this, I've walked in for years drinking either a beer, or even a mixed drink in a solo cup for that matter. Knowing good and well that I was about to just pop open another beer once I crossed thru, you want me to throw this away? Really? Come on guys. I told him that just the night before I walked in with no issues and all I got was "That was last night sir." Well, in addition to last night it was also last year, and the year before that, and so on.

- After the clash was over, the girlfriend and I decided we would go out of the gate and visit the fanatics tent, etc. to kill some time before q'ing. Fortunately for me I thought to stop and ask if we'd be allowed re-entry without having to buy the separate ticket for that ($25 each) since originally they were scheduled for 2 separate days. NOPE. Sure enough, if we walked out, we'd have to spend the extra to get back in. So we stayed inside. I told the attendant, that's pretty sad, you have all of these people (including myself) that came the night before, paid for parking, for gas, saw no race and got no refund for these things, you'd think that they could do something fan friendly and reward people for their inconvenience. her reply was "Well you know with the renovation they've gotta have a way to pay for it." I said don't give me that, there's not a person on this earth that will convince me that they weren't able to pay for that out of pocket. We all know better. She smiled and chuckled in agreement.

As beautiful as the place is and as special as it will always be to me, they've gotten too big for their britches.

Would you trade the leather seats for some decent customer service? Can't wait till PHX prices themselves out of existence after their renovation.... smh.

Would you trade the leather seats for some decent customer service? Can't wait till PHX prices themselves out of existence after their renovation.... smh.
the grandstands that the start/finish line is being move too are the grandstands that we sit in , and those seats are around $120 give or take, pretty sure those seats are going to raise in price a bit now.

Nice Daytona Day reference in tonight's episode of Lethal Weapon

The 500 and 400 ticket prices are expected because the capacity is reduced now, especially the 500 since it was the only remaining event that still used the Superstretch stands from before the renovation. Every other NASCAR event there isn't worth it, and the stands never come even close to filling up. Honestly obscene.
I went to the Rolex this year and thought everything I paid was worth it. My first time at Daytona was for the 2015 Coke Zero 400, we didn't stay because the race didn't start till midnight. Had a plane to catch the next day..

Nice Daytona Day reference in tonight's episode of Lethal Weapon
There are no nice 'Daytona Day' references. References to Daytona, or the Daytona 500, yes. Daytona Day, no.

You don't see TV hyping other sports as 'Super Bowl Day' or 'NCAA Championship Day'. Why does Fox feel it's necessary to use this marketing construct that focuses on the day and not on the RACE itself?

There are no nice 'Daytona Day' references. References to Daytona, or the Daytona 500, yes. Daytona Day, no.

You don't see TV hyping other sports as 'Super Bowl Day' or 'NCAA Championship Day'. Why does Fox feel it's necessary to use this marketing construct that focuses on the day and not on the RACE itself?

It's Defend NASCAR Day for me, I guess. You do hear people talking about "Super Bowl Sunday" like it is an event. Indeed, many people would say it is an unofficial national holiday. Fox is trying to create the same kinda atmosphere around the Daytona 500. Obviously won't succeed to any massive extent, but if a few people are influenced to have Daytona parties that would be a good thing.

Nice was being used somewhat in a :sarcasm: way.

Looking forward to "Refuse To Lose" tonight after at the Duel's

4th Place at the Auto Parts Clash
Go Danica You will win the 2017 Daytona 500

Back
Top Bottom