Rate the Race: 2014 CWTS @ Eldora

N

nascage

Best race of the year - in any form of motor sport.
For me.

I felt Larson def had this one in the bag after turning his front end into a late model as a result of his skirmish with Dillon.
Gave it all he had, but he's got no reason to hang his head after this.

Bonehead to Fox for missing two restarts, and NASCAR officials for not throwing a caution on lap 23.
That could've been bad.

I'm convinced.
Bring the Cup guys here.
Put it on ppv for $25.00 bucks if your worried about the gate revenue.
Show it for free the following week.
Lose a date at one of those cookie cutter 1.5 milers.
But, not Charlotte.

Congrats, Bubba.
#chicksdiggoldshovels

10 or just off the charts, easily the best race of the year from Nascars top 3 divisions. I even appreciated MWs enthusiasm this time.

I dont know if the race had all of the ingredients, nobody got in a fight. But the late race duel was as sweet as last years.
Wallace was steady and he protected his equipment, stayed disciplined and seemed to precisely hit every mark. A very deserving winner. I am happy for him, he isn't a diversity driver to me. He is a great racer. He drove like the overworked word "wheelman".

Larson is proving to be such a master. I dont think his truck was set up that well and he just kept trying to force a square into a round hole.

The simple formula worked and it was classic. It is almost like some timeless zone were those two are the only thing in the world going on in the moment. No politics, no BS GWC, just a real showdown.
You dont have to have great commentary or PR, just run the best damn races possibile, and everybody wins. I was even cool with Brian France in that moment. Good racing saves the world.

Fell asleep just before the first comp caution ,,,dammit

Hope there's a replay.

What tires were they using? Goodyear?

Congrats to Wallace, he had them covered. Larson put on a good show, I think he hit the wall a half dozen time before the truck had enough.

I thought it was silly! Bunch of accomplished drivers sliding around in the mud, hitting the fence and each other! Pave that track and get some real racing. I read here that some of us even want our WORLD CLASS DRIVERS doing that silly stuff, what are you thinking? Since the rating scale is from 1 to 10, it seems I can't rate that farce of a race lower that a 1 so here it is I rate it at a ONE!
Betsy

Well im gonna go with a 10 great action, drivers having to work all night. AWESOME
Sorry Betsy

Absolutely hands down best race all year. No question.

I thought it was silly! Bunch of accomplished drivers sliding around in the mud, hitting the fence and each other! Pave that track and get some real racing. I read here that some of us even want our WORLD CLASS DRIVERS doing that silly stuff, what are you thinking? Since the rating scale is from 1 to 10, it seems I can't rate that farce of a race lower that a 1 so here it is I rate it at a ONE!
Betsy

You do realize that a good portion of these "world class drivers" you speak of, got to where they are because of racing on dirt, dont you? Hell thats where NASCAR started to begin with. I'll quote Tony Stewart in saying, "If you cant enjoy that, you need to have your head examined."

How good was the race?

Well, I had to be at work at 6am for a 12 hour shift. So I got up at 4:20 am and watched it again on the DVR.
I usually leave exactly at 5:30, to make it to work at 5:55 am, and that already includes driving at 9mph over the speed limit. And timeliness is huge, I am relieving someone else who has already worked 12 hours, and by law he cannot leave the system or operation without signing over to authorized personnel (me).

But this morning 5:30 came along, and I realized I had not even put on my work clothes. So I had to push the speed past my normal 9mph tolerance, and just barely made it in at 6am. No tickets (knock on wood) and the race was all worth it.

Damn, I missed a great one from the sound of it. Well other than the sand in the panties of one poster.

when they're racing it good, but how they do mandatory cautions and no fueling and tires sucks

I like it. That doesn't leave it up to the pit crew to win or lose a race.
pit crews are apart of racing, always have been, i think it's stupid, maybe next year they can let them have potty breaks.

pit crews are apart of racing, always have been, i think it's stupid, maybe next year they can let them have potty breaks.
I really will try one time to explain the reasons behind this. There is not enough room in the pits for all of the trucks to pit at once without running into one another. They have to do it in two sections. That's the reason they have 3 racing segments. It's worked fine on dirt tracks for many years and puts on a helluva show.

I can't remember what the overall grade was in this forum for last year's race, but this year's race was even better.

I really will try one time to explain the reasons behind this. There is not enough room in the pits for all of the trucks to pit at once without running into one another. They have to do it in two sections. That's the reason they have 3 racing segments. It's worked fine on dirt tracks for many years and puts on a helluva show.
i'm aware. need to find a bigger dirt track to race on. i did think the racing was good, maybe have the race as an all-star event, but i don't like it being a point race with the way it's done.

Last edited:
For me, the intermissions reminded me of the early years of the truck series. I love it, wouldn't mind seeing more of it, especially if it means more short tracks get to host. Would cut costs for the teams, too.

No "lousy boring aero push clean air advantage mile and a half crap" here

10+ The drivers had to be UP on the wheel. Larson's truck was so messed up I don't think he had a choice but to use the wall to turn it. It was working until the trackbar broke.

i'm aware. need to find a bigger dirt track to race on. i did think the racing was good, maybe have the race as an all-star event, but i don't like it being a point race with the way it's done.

pudge.......johali is correct ....no room in pits as usual......so segments...no race outa pits either. ...
dangerous too ....if they did.

but good observation ya got ......maybe shoulda been non-point race. ?
not sure if that'll matter by season end tho. we'll see.
big honcho teams sure had big advantage.

solid 9 w/ great finish.

you young fellers oughta find a dirt track nearby..... for similar local action.

I'll give it an 8. Needs some fine tuning but gotdamn, great entertainment on an Wednesday night.

Betsy

This is one of the most uneducated, uninformed posts I've ever read on this site. As was mentioned above, if it weren't for dirt tracks a lot of the all time greats in Nascar, would've never made it there. Hell, we might not even have a Nascar if not for dirt tracks. Show some respect.

i love dirt track racing, there's a track @ 8 miles from my house, that i go to, not as much lately as i would like, but for years i never missed a race there. and the racing at Eldora, i thought was great. but i don't like how they pit is all. if you had a flat, you could come in change the tire that went flat, no other tires, can't get gas. also like when Austin pitted spent all that time hood up checking his truck, and what he lost 2 positions on the track. i would love to see a dirt track race that has the same rules and it is run the same as every other race on the schedule. like i said i would like it to be a non point special event, if it's got special rules on it's running. but again the racing on the track was great. the officials were even confused with the format, remember Ty having to take his tires back off, and held for taking gas. racing good, pitting not good.

i love dirt track racing, there's a track @ 8 miles from my house, that i go to, not as much lately as i would like, but for years i never missed a race there. and the racing at Eldora, i thought was great. but i don't like how they pit is all. if you had a flat, you could come in change the tire that went flat, no other tires, can't get gas. also like when Austin pitted spent all that time hood up checking his truck, and what he lost 2 positions on the track. i would love to see a dirt track race that has the same rules and it is run the same as every other race on the schedule. like i said i would like it to be a non point special event, if it's got special rules on it's running. but again the racing on the track was great. the officials were even confused with the format, remember Ty having to take his tires back off, and held for taking gas. racing good, pitting not good.

Every dirt track race I have been to, sprints, late models, street stocks, etc. There isn't a pit stop, don't know how it is where you live though. If a car cut down a tire, it either ended up in the middle of the track until the race was over, or it was pushed into the pits. IF the car came back it was several laps down. I have never seen a dirt feature race that was over 50 laps either. So what they did makes sense to me, they couldn't run a conventional 50 lap feature, with an A and a B and heats.

4.5 tops, JMHO, and the only reason it is that high is because of Kyle Larson, without him, it would have been a 1.

Dirt is for WOO etc, not Nascar Trucks.

Last time I checked, they dont go four wide at the Bristol night race... Jus sayin

The only thing I think could have made it better is if more trucks turned out. Would have been better to see 10 or 15 trucks in each heat race battling for 5 spots rather than 7 or 8. But this is still only year 2. Im sure as it progresses they will have a bigger field.

Every dirt track race I have been to, sprints, late models, street stocks, etc. There isn't a pit stop, don't know how it is where you live though. If a car cut down a tire, it either ended up in the middle of the track until the race was over, or it was pushed into the pits. IF the car came back it was several laps down. I have never seen a dirt feature race that was over 50 laps either. So what they did makes sense to me, they couldn't run a conventional 50 lap feature, with an A and a B and heats.
but this was Nascar Truck series were they do have pit stops, it's your choice to take 2 tires, 4 tires, no tires, gas no gas. i just stated they did throw cautions, just didn't allow trucks to be handled like every other race. that the only part i'm not fond of. it's not like i said the racing on the track was awful, it was thrilling up front, and action all around. i don't care what course they race on, if it's a points race within that series, they should race the same format. of course this is just my feelings toward the race, not trying to convince anyone of how they should feel, just stating how i felt about it.

Dirt tracks are not set up for Nascar's format. Pits? dirt tracks don't have pit stops. The pits weren't large enough to have them all in at once anyway. Also Tire sets are restricted in Trucks and N'wide. So it is impossible to run the same format.

7, only because most of the racing was for 2nd on back. Don't get me wrong, the racing was awesome all race, but even Eldora seems to have the problem with 1st taking off leaving all the good racing for 2nd on back.

Back
Top Bottom