RATE THE RACE: Eldora

Makes sense, but isn't there TV revenue also available for bigger purses.
Additionally wouldn't a track like Indianapolis Motor Speedway have a higher operating cost or overhead due to the size difference alone.
Maybe 35 thousand in attendance for an Infinitity race is no more profitable for them than a packed house at Eldora for a truck race?
The fact that there was less TV coverage and much less TV revenue available than there is now certainly affected the move away from most of the smaller venues back then.

Right now, the average purse for a Truck Series event is around $525,000. There's no way to pay that, the sanctioning fee, operating costs, admin and overhead, etc. without a substantial TV revenue stream. At this point, the schedule is pretty much locked for 4 years beyond this season. Part of the reason for that is the TV thing. Production costs are lower for companion events ... 1 crew, travel, lodging, transport and setup of the cameras, etc., etc. instead of 2. If the broadcasters were willing, the added cost would have an impact on the 65% payout to the tracks.

I'd like to see it too. I just don't think there will be much change in the near future.

I honestly think he's putting his own money into the event. Did you see those pyrotechnics at the beginning of the race! Most tracks don't give half as good of a display at the finish! He had a flame thrower on the pit wall!!!

No way he makes money. Too few seats. Too much investment. Glad to see it though. He loves it.

I am one of the last people in the world to back Tony up on anything. Just never liked him, but I will say he is fast becoming one of the greater promoters racing has. He is part owner in my local track and it's a pretty well run show. It wouldn't surprise me one bit to find out he is spending his own money to make Eldora as successful as it is every year. He loves racing and really loves dirt track racing. This event gives non dirt people a glimpse into my world as well as gives the dirt people a reason to watch Nascar. It really is a win win.

And I don't give a rat's behind that it was a Cup guy that won. I loved the RACE.
I don't understand the issue either. Who cares if it was a cup regular? The non cup guys were doing very well too and the racing was good. All the top five guys were dirt guys and Larson was a dirt guy before he was an Hard Surface racer. I have zero problem with this outcome.

... The only really negative I took away last night was there was zero coverage, almost not even a mention, of the support class. A huge TV audience, many of which were of the nothing-but-nascar variety, and all they see is trucks on dirt. I mean sure, that in itself was great, but to not even give a glimpse of the other division really does a disservice to dirt track racing.
Fox probably doesn't have a contract with the support series' sanctioning body.

Oh, I gave this a 9. Is it too late to say 'Slide job' again? Anybody catch how much money Joey coughed up?

10/10. Great, exciting racing throughout. We definitely need more dirt tracks.

trucks dont need ot be at tracks like texas
I can't remember what the last few have been like at Texas, but several years back, the trucks were doing some serious racing at Texas. One of the most exciting races on at the time.

Again.. 200 wins across all series.

That said, I would give him a pass if he decided to race this one and won. It's NASCAR on dirt. Everyone's welcome. Lol

....but he would only be allowed to win it once I suppose....

Because that Cup regular hasn't even won a Cup race. Also, you see all these 10's because of the race itself

I have not heard the conditional Cup (a driver who hasn't won) participation angle. I have only heard resentment for Cup regulars. This is new.

I have yet to year what a "good race" is. I have never seen a bad race (rain shortened comes close). Each race is its own deal. I once thought that a "good race" was about passes for the lead, etc.; but there wasn't much of that last night, honestly.

I think what appeals to many about this race is that it goes back to what NASCAR once was. It was not for the masses. It was small town. It was bologna burgers. It was tractors. Dirt. Bandanas, and goggles. It was beer--not wine. I am not sure that there was anything awesome about that race, but the event was awesome for those who need their NASCAR to be exclusive. Flying dirt and sideways trucks do not speak to the masses, and those masses are important because when they are not there, old school fans bitch about empty grandstands and television ratings as a means to get back to what you saw last night. Grandstands full, but how many did those grandstands hold? My two cents....Flame away.

That said, I would give him a pass if he decided to race this one and won.

That is nice of you, but I am not sure Kyle would care.

... I have yet to year what a "good race" is. I have never seen a bad race (rain shortened comes close). Each race is its own deal. I once thought that a "good race" was about passes for the lead, etc.; but there wasn't much of that last night, honestly. ...
To me, one of the factors for a good race is passes through the field. 1st and 2nd could be separated by several seconds all race, but if there's a lot of competitive racing throughout the rest of the field, I'm happy. Admittedly, TV is usually obsessed with the front four or five only, and often shows the rest of the pack only at the plate races. But that's why we go to the track and watch the whole field live, right?

7. I love Eldora but this was a letdown compared to the previous 3 races.

Hurrrrhurrr. If you can't see the logic in the people that have responded to you on the subject, you're a lost cause. Enjoy your fanaticism.

If you think this is about logic, you are lost with me. Love my fanaticism (adjusts Champion's cap).

If you think this is about logic, you are lost with me. Love my fanaticism (adjusts Champion's cap).

You're comparing a cup champion winning nationwide races every damned weekend to Kyle Larson finally winning the one dirt race in NASCAR... And you have a huge problem with it, even as a KyBu (even though if he went to ford tomorrow, you'd be so far away from his nads it's not even funny)fan... What a weirdo.

As a one-of-a-kind, unique happening (Nascar on dirt) this event gets an 10.0 from me, very well organized, track in great shape, another sold out house, and surprises on the track. But not really a great race. Compared to other truck races, it was good but not great in the level of competition. Alternatively, compared to other dirt races (sprints, mods, or late models) it was good or average, certainly not great. As a race it was about 8.0.

10.0 as a happening + 8.0 as a race = 9.0 rating from me.

Why is anyone talking about Kyle Busch? Jeez Louise, he wasn't even there.

As a one-of-a-kind, unique happening (Nascar on dirt) this event gets an 10.0 from me, very well organized, track in great shape, another sold out house, and surprises on the track. But not really a great race. Compared to other truck races, it was good but not great in the level of competition. Alternatively, compared to other dirt races (sprints, mods, or late models) it was good or average, certainly not great. As a race it was about 8.0.

10.0 as a happening + 8.0 as a race = 9.0 rating from me.

Why is anyone talking about Kyle Busch? Jeez Louise, he wasn't even there.

TRD fans have to make everything about Kyle Busch :p

[Eldora] only has capacity for 10,000....
Are you sure about the 10,000? I could swear I read about ~16,000 for the truck race and other major events like King's Royal, etc. I'm not claiming to know, but that 16,000 sticks in my feeble mind.

Are you sure about the 10,000? I could swear I read about ~16,000 for the truck race and other major events like King's Royal, etc. I'm not claiming to know, but that 16,000 sticks in my feeble mind.
I heard approx 17,000 today on the radio.

I'm less likely to watch Trucks or Xfin if there are no Cup drivers in the lineup.

Well some people don't watch now because there are too many cup drivers in those series.
Also, by putting a cap on it, there will still be cup drivers in both series, just not guys that have been in cup for 5 or more years. It allows rookies in the cup series to continue to get track time and it allows fans in the lower series to see cup drivers that they just saw a few years earlier as regulars in the lower series.

Nascar fans are a tough crowd. We complain about anything that gets changed. And when things don't get changed, we complain about that.

no rating from me, but wanted to throw my opinion out.

to those of you who enjoyed this show and think racing begins and ends with NASCAR, please, please, please go visit your local short track. the show you are likely to see will have better racing than you are used to, and after a few visits, you will have the same type of driver love/hate opinions that you have now about the "stars".

the excitement of the trucks at Eldora is not created by the "names". it is the action.

I grew up going to a weekly dirt short track. and I have enjoyed the nascar shows i've attended over the past 30 years. but I encourage all to check out any weekly short track for the experience. it's still mostly like what made nascar popular to start with.

JMO.

I'm just glad this thread finally got around to being about kyle Busch.

As a one-of-a-kind, unique happening (Nascar on dirt) this event gets an 10.0 from me, very well organized, track in great shape, another sold out house, and surprises on the track..
. We'll said Lew.

no rating from me, but wanted to throw my opinion out.

to those of you who enjoyed this show and think racing begins and ends with NASCAR, please, please, please go visit your local short track. the show you are likely to see will have better racing than you are used to, and after a few visits, you will have the same type of driver love/hate opinions that you have now about the "stars".

the excitement of the trucks at Eldora is not created by the "names". it is the action.

I grew up going to a weekly dirt short track. and I have enjoyed the nascar shows i've attended over the past 30 years. but I encourage all to check out any weekly short track for the experience. it's still mostly like what made nascar popular to start with.

JMO.
I couldn't like this post any more. :beerbang::beerbang::beerbang::beerbang::beerbang:

Back
Top Bottom