Rate The Race: Indianapolis

Passing was hard at Indy but there was passing going on though out the field.
Word. And I'll add this... it ain't *supposed* to be easy. If it was easy, everyone would do it. It is best when passing is difficult but not impossible, and is accomplished by driver skill and car speed and superior set up.

For those watching closely, the degree of difficulty was impressive. The broadcast team was endlessly irritating - as always - but Burton and Letarte did a good job of analyzing drivers in the corners, and explaining how that led to passes (or failure to pass) down the long straights. This is more subtle than some fans want, but I appreciate the subtleties of driver and team performance.

No one passed Kyle Busch because he had the best car and - God, how it hurts me to write this - he drove brilliantly on Sunday. It was like the 78 in the World 600 at Charlotte last May... domination based on superior driver and team performance on the day.

OTOH, the domination of all five Gibbs/TRD Toyotas including the FRR 78 was too much for me to give a really high rating. I'll rate the race 5.5.

My rating is the same thing Dean Wormer said to Bluto concerning his GPA: " Mr. Blutarsky... zero... point... zero.

I thought the 18 team whipping the field was great and even a foregone conclusion. I have to respect excellence and Kyle and his team provided it it all day long as it was a beautiful thing seeing him set sail. That being said I still think he is a douche canoe!

As far as the race goes I say "What race." The track has never been suitable for cup cars and now that Nascar has returned to being a niche sport it needs to get back to more traditional tracks and put places like Indy in the rear view mirror.

Word. And I'll add this... it ain't *supposed* to be easy. If it was easy, everyone would do it. It is best when passing is difficult but not impossible, and is accomplished by driver skill and car speed and superior set up.

For those watching closely, the degree of difficulty was impressive. The broadcast team was endlessly irritating - as always - but Burton and Letarte did a good job of analyzing drivers in the corners, and explaining how that led to passes (or failure to pass) down the long straights. This is more subtle than some fans want, but I appreciate the subtleties of driver and team performance.

No one passed Kyle Busch because he had the best car and - God, how it hurts me to write this - he drove brilliantly on Sunday. It was like the 78 in the World 600 at Charlotte last May... domination based on superior driver and team performance on the day.

OTOH, the domination of all five Gibbs/TRD Toyotas including the FRR 78 was too much for me to give a really high rating. I'll rate the race 5.5.

I appreciate fans that like the technical aspects of a Nascar event but I think most fan don't give a toss. They want to see beating, banging, tempers, passing all over the place like a plate track provides and something that appears to be stimulating as opposed to sleep inducing.

My enjoyment of the race: 10! :) Jeff Gordon was in it, and I poured myself a few drinks to celebrate. :D

That actual race itself: probably a 5. To me, the race wasn't as awful as everyone else is saying, and there appeared to be some racing towards the back.

Nascar has addressed this for 2017, they decided on "heat races" which should really help bring up their mid term grades. I dont want to see my favorite driver dominate a race, still BORING as hell. If there isnt passing for the top spots, why watch?. nascar knows what advantage toyoter has and they are being paid to keep their moths shut. In the meantime, fans can all feel like Bob Uecker, "good seats yeah buddy" the only person in the stands. To be truthfull, nascar cant afford to see a one team dominate and the stands MT, Dear nascar, this isnt working.

Race wasn't great. I give it a 5. It was cool to see Gordon back for the race and also kinda cool to see all the fanfare for Stewart. Other than that Kyle stunk up the show with a dominant performance. Couple that with the crash fest in the final few laps and I lost interest.

Most of the fans that have traveled to Indy for NASCAR never return and likely tell others how bad it sucks. The novelty has long passed and nothing can save it.

Plus it's too effing hot in INDY this time of year and the grandstands block any chance of a cool breeze.

First time in a long time I can say that I was bored. I fell asleep watching a race...
Aw you're just dog tired from alla that strenuous military training that you're going through. :D

Back
Top Bottom