2016 brickyard 400 worst race I have ever seen.

hidesert cowboy

Team Owner
something has to be done that was the most pathetic excuse for a race I actually couldn't stand it anymore. You had drivers throwing hale mary's with every manner of pit strategy knowing full well there was no way they were going to catch the 18 even if god was driving their cars. Passing terrible. I could only handle about half the race until I just said peace out I am going to do other things. HMS and the other teams have to be saying umm we suck and must scrap everything. I know indy doesn't put on that great of a race but frankly this one was terrible.

Did you watch the Xfinity race? That was the worst race I have ever seen and compared to that race, the Cup race was a 10/10. Had the race stayed green I think Keselowski would have been the winner due to pit strategy. Passing at the front was terrible, but there was a ton of passing in the middle and back of the pack...NBC just chose to not show most of it (as usual).

If NASCAR wants to grow the sport then they need to make the tough decisions that cut out tracks like this one.

They need to understand that tracks like Rockingham Iowa Eldora orp are way more interesting and exciting. but that doesn't matter it's all about the $$$

20xx when Jimmie Johnson won was the worse race ever at this track every ten laps was a caution so they could change tires due to right fronts blowing out. it was beyond pathetic way worse than this. and I'm not exaggerating.
Yeah, that was the 2008 "tire debacle" race, one of the worst races I've ever seen and definitely worse than yesterday's edition.

Yeah, that was the 2008 "tire debacle" race, one of the worst races I've ever seen and definitely worse than yesterday's edition.

By far the worst race I've ever seen, if you can even call it a race. I'm pretty sure they had to pit every 20 laps do those tires falling apart. Everyone who purchased tickets and attended that race should have gotten a refund.

I now see the reasoning for nasrap no longer releasing attendance numbers. That crowd was pathetic.

I now see the reasoning for nasrap no longer releasing attendance numbers. That crowd was pathetic.

ha exactly this is not a prestigious race as much as they want it to be it just isn't

ha exactly this is not a prestigious race as much as they want it to be it just isn't
I agree . This track has always been hyped but , as a Nascar fan , I never really got it. Used to be I would feel the hype while watching Indy 500 qualifying , but never felt anything special watching the Nascar qualifying . Just never bought into it as a Nascar track. Then when they took the xfinity race from IRP to try and bolster the Nascar race , it fell flat . Just isn't working as a venue for me . That said. I watch the race to see how it plays out and am entertained however that happens . Would I have been happier with a few more debris cautions ? Sure.

I was there yesterday, and I doubt it was any better in person than it was on TV. It's always cool to experience a race in person, but this just isn't a good track to watch a race. You can only see a small part of it no matter where you sit. Between that and the poor quality of racing (and the unbearable heat) I won't be going back. I don't know how many others were there yesterday, but this seemed to be the consensus from everyone else I spoke to as well. As bad as the attendance was yesterday, I don't think it's going to improve next year.

The best part was watching Gordon and Stewart one more time.

It is very interesting to me......F1 races at Monaco. Impossible to pass. Horrible racing. Yet, F1 would never, ever think of getting rid of that race because of what it is. Indy is that type of deal, but NASCAR is stuck in this "gotta be a good race" deal, and "fans" are ****ting themselves to get there. Honestly, the definition of a good race is a race where Junior wins. Let's be honest. Most popular driver wins, and essentially most wouldn't give a **** if there was one pass. I understand that. It's fine with me. To ignore what Kyle Busch did yesterday is to ignore greatness. He was untouchable just like Petty, etc. in the good 'ole days. Even with the new fangled rules (double file restarts, etc.), he could not be caught--I doubt the Pettys, etc. could have pulled that off. I might argue that this is the type of performance reflective of a Hall of Famer. Yet, the masses choose to bitch about fans, TV ratings, and racin". THIS is the problem, and nothing else.

NASCAR has done a terrible job with racing at Indy. They made it even worse when they had the Buschfinitywide series race there on Saturday. Indy is an exact replica of F1's Monaco race. It has all the racing history but the actual racing is terrible. What NASCAR needs to do is turn the Indy race into the Monaco race. Make it the celebrity place to be. Move the Buschfinitywide cars back to IRP on Saturday night and throw a huge party. Then shorten the cup Indy race to 200 or 250 laps. Show all the celebrities in their fancy outfits and in the fancy Indy tower and hanging out with the drivers on pit road. That's really all indy is good for. Let's just make it more about the surrounding events than the actual race. And for the love of God move it out of the middle of summer in the midwest. Put it in late August right before the Colts start the regular season. This event is not really for the NASCAR fans as it is for drawing in new fans through the use of celebrities just like Monaco. The F1 Monaco race is typically the only F1 race I watch each year and it isn't even that good, it's just the hype around it that makes it interesting.

20xx when Jimmie Johnson won was the worse race ever at this track every ten laps was a caution so they could change tires due to right fronts blowing out. it was beyond pathetic way worse than this. and I'm not exaggerating.

Yeah, that was the worst Brickyard 400 ever.

The worst race ever had to be the 2000 race at Loudon when NASCAR overreacted to the deaths of Adam Petty and Kenny Irwin and put restrictor plates on the cars to slow speeds getting into the corners. There was literally no passing. Jeff Burton led every lap.

It is very interesting to me......F1 races at Monaco. Impossible to pass. Horrible racing. Yet, F1 would never, ever think of getting rid of that race because of what it is. Indy is that type of deal, but NASCAR is stuck in this "gotta be a good race" deal, and "fans" are ****ting themselves to get there. Honestly, the definition of a good race is a race where Junior wins. Let's be honest. Most popular driver wins, and essentially most wouldn't give a sh!t if there was one pass. I understand that. It's fine with me. To ignore what Kyle Busch did yesterday is to ignore greatness. He was untouchable just like Petty, etc. in the good 'ole days. Even with the new fangled rules (double file restarts, etc.), he could not be caught--I doubt the Pettys, etc. could have pulled that off. I might argue that this is the type of performance reflective of a Hall of Famer. Yet, the masses choose to bitch about fans, TV ratings, and racin". THIS is the problem, and nothing else.
Don't flatter yourself. Congrats to him but everything is not about Kyle Busch. This track sucked long before him and will long after.

To ignore what Kyle Busch did yesterday is to ignore greatness. He was untouchable just like Petty, etc. in the good 'ole days. Even with the new fangled rules (double file restarts, etc.), he could not be caught--I doubt the Pettys, etc. could have pulled that off. I might argue that this is the type of performance reflective of a Hall of Famer.

This killed me haha. You will get some bites with that for sure.

This was not the worst Indy race. As pointed out, the tire debacle was absolutely the worst.
And the winner of this year has nothing to do with the racing. This track is not designed for the
big, heavy stock car. And the Xfinity cars are certainly not fit for this track

Kyle dominating is nothing new. The total product is poor at this track.

It is very interesting to me......F1 races at Monaco. Impossible to pass. Horrible racing. Yet, F1 would never, ever think of getting rid of that race because of what it is. Indy is that type of deal, but NASCAR is stuck in this "gotta be a good race" deal, and "fans" are ****ting themselves to get there. Honestly, the definition of a good race is a race where Junior wins. Let's be honest. Most popular driver wins, and essentially most wouldn't give a sh!t if there was one pass. I understand that. It's fine with me. To ignore what Kyle Busch did yesterday is to ignore greatness. He was untouchable just like Petty, etc. in the good 'ole days. Even with the new fangled rules (double file restarts, etc.), he could not be caught--I doubt the Pettys, etc. could have pulled that off. I might argue that this is the type of performance reflective of a Hall of Famer. Yet, the masses choose to bitch about fans, TV ratings, and racin". THIS is the problem, and nothing else.

Spot on in your Monaco assessment.

I think you are letting your bias show in your comments about Kyle Busch. Yes he is a very good driver but let's face it, he only has 1 cup and he didn't race the whole year so many people aren't fully on board yet. I think most of the dislike stems from his personality. You could say the same thing about his brother until his brother couldn't find a ride. He certainly has changed his attitude since and people respect him for that now. Kurt was arrogant and finally paid the price. He "asked" for forgiveness and people forgave him. I think he has more fans or at least more respect now than he did before he lost his ride.

As I said on another thread I loved the dominance of the 18 team yesterday and I don't understand how anyone could not enjoy seeing total team excellence in action. Seeing the 18 drive away from everyone was a thing of beauty and knowing he wouldn't screw the pooch like Truex made the day a foregone conclusion.

However the event is a total snoozefest as the average Nascar fan wants to see beatin' and bangin' and drivers getting pissed at one another and passing, passing, passing! The event at IMS was great during Nascar's halcyon days but those days are long gone and are not coming back. If people want to watch technical stuff they will watch F1 but for many Nascar is like the circus coming to town and the circus is not supposed to be boring and technical.

Doesn't matter who won the race if the racing was horrible. It could have been Dale Sr back from the grave and winning and the race would STILL be horrible.

At least you read part of my post.
Yeah, I almost didn't get to far into it with the F1 comments. Not a fan. Monaco doesn't move any kind of needle for me. F1? I tied it a couple times. The needle didn't move much there either.

Jr. comments..... As a fan of his, sure I'd be happy with a win. It wouldn't have a bearing as to whether or not I like a race though.

Don't flatter yourself. Congrats to him but everything is not about Kyle Busch. This track sucked long before him and will long after.

No question as the track was added to the schedule when Nascar could do no wrong and people and sponsors lined up to get in on the Nascar action.

No question as the track was added to the schedule when Nascar could do no wrong and people and sponsors lined up to get in on the Nascar action.

I feel like the racing there was solid up until the COT and tire debacle. The 90's races were all pretty good imo. Even the early 00's were interesting. I remember Elliott chasing down Rusty in 2002 for the win. That whole race was pretty good.

The Brickyard 400 was such a cool "event' at one time. I remember my dad cutting vacation a day short in '98 to head home and watch it. That was when the race was still on a Saturday. It's a shame it will never be like that again imo.

At least there the 500 has survived and is back on solid footing. I will get there one day for it. The 500 is very high on my bucket list....

I think those track contracts run through 2020 IIRC. The only way NASCAR leaves this track is if Tony George decides to not renew a contract with NASCAR. NASCAR, given the chance, will do everything they can to stay here. I am completely baffled by that. Time and time again the majority of the race fans come away from this race with a sour taste in the mouth. People no longer support the venue. I read were people say there was racing in the back of the pack. That's all well and good but we don't see that on television. Even if you are there, you're not able to watch these battles around the track as the sight-lines don't allow for it. It is a special venue for open wheel racing. For NASCAR, not so much.

Anybody else think that the anticipation of another snooze-fest kept the crowds down or, as in several other races recently, is the "live" fan base continuing to diminish ? I had a funny thought yesterday, maybe NASCAR should have announced that a special pookychoo with a bounty of several thousand dollars was going to be attending.

If NASCAR wants to continue racing at IMS and not lose money they need to do something drastic. That likely means a new aero package and tire package specific to the track in an attempt to salvage a good race from a bad track. It would be expensive, a long-shot, and probably not worth it in the end but something needs to change or the brickyard 400 is dead.

maybe NASCAR should have announced that a special pookychoo with a bounty of several thousand dollars was going to be attending.
Probably not as much of a joke as intended. You're on to something here. America seems to be fascinated with that app. My only fear would be the roaming fan wondering on to the track under green flag conditions.

Anybody else think that the anticipation of another snooze-fest kept the crowds down or, as in several other races recently, is the "live" fan base continuing to diminish ? I had a funny thought yesterday, maybe NASCAR should have announced that a special pookychoo with a bounty of several thousand dollars was going to be attending.

Yeah they could have thrown in one of those ponchokeymans too! haha There has to be a racist or generational joke in there somewhere! haha

And , to be fair , the highest rated race this year (I think) had to be El Dora , and there was what , maybe one lead change

If you play our Yahoo Fantasy Game , you will know how difficult it is to predict winners and losers . Every one of these races is a separate event and is interesting to watch play out . Seeing them live is even better . It's only after the event that we decide how entertained we were . So fans deciding not to attend a race because it's not going to be entertaining is something I don't understand . Not attending because it's going to rain , be excessively hot , or have massive traffic tie ups , I fully understand .

If NASCAR wants to continue racing at IMS and not lose money they need to do something drastic. That likely means a new aero package and tire package specific to the track in an attempt to salvage a good race from a bad track. It would be expensive, a long-shot, and probably not worth it in the end but something needs to change or the brickyard 400 is dead.
Maybe we could bring heat races to the cup series only the heat races must be run at IRP and the main at the Brickyard. We could even make it an impound race so teams would have to run the same base setup at both tracks.

-Brian F.

I feel like the racing there was solid up until the COT and tire debacle. The 90's races were all pretty good imo. Even the early 00's were interesting. I remember Elliott chasing down Rusty in 2002 for the win. That whole race was pretty good.

The Brickyard 400 was such a cool "event' at one time. I remember my dad cutting vacation a day short in '98 to head home and watch it. That was when the race was still on a Saturday. It's a shame it will never be like that again imo.

At least there the 500 has survived and is back on solid footing. I will get there one day for it. The 500 is very high on my bucket list....

I live in close proximity to IRP and IMS and have seen some great races (mainly IRP) but visiting IMS is something everyone should do as even the non racing fans I have taken to the track and museum come away impressed. I have been fortunate enough to be able to drive on the track several times as well as tote Joe Nemechek around for driver introductions prior to the 2003 Brickyard 400. I have a lot of love for Speedway Indiana but I think it is time to ban all Nascar events from IMS and just remember the better races the track produced.

When you really stop and thing the CoT did a FUBAR on Nascar and ruined many things. The car they use now isn't much better and instead of engineering safety into cars that would race they forgot about racing and just made the cars safe. The cars are so safe and boring Nascar has lost half its fan base.

I think those track contracts run through 2020 IIRC. The only way NASCAR leaves this track is if Tony George decides to not renew a contract with NASCAR. NASCAR, given the chance, will do everything they can to stay here. I am completely baffled by that. Time and time again the majority of the race fans come away from this race with a sour taste in the mouth. People no longer support the venue. I read were people say there was racing in the back of the pack. That's all well and good but we don't see that on television. Even if you are there, you're not able to watch these battles around the track as the sight-lines don't allow for it. It is a special venue for open wheel racing. For NASCAR, not so much.

The funny thing is that all the tracks are profitable due to the TV contract so no one will want to give up a date until that revenue goes away. In the meantime Nascar races on several tracks that either the current car doesn't perform well on, has taken all sorts of latitude away from crew chiefs to fix the problem or the tracks just are not very good themselves. Nascar is like the frog in the pan that was placed on a burner and the frog doesn't realize the temperature is rising and he will soon explode.

The Brickyard makes money regardless of whether any fan shows up or not. The TV contract takes care of that and spectators are just icing on the cake.

If you play our Yahoo Fantasy Game , you will know how difficult it is to predict winners and losers . Every one of these races is a separate event and is interesting to watch play out . Seeing them live is even better . It's only after the event that we decide how entertained we were . So fans deciding not to attend a race because it's not going to be entertaining is something I don't understand . Not attending because it's going to rain , be excessively hot , or have massive traffic tie ups , I fully understand .

I totally understand deciding not going to an event because you know its gonna suck. It isn't any different than not watching Alabama play Bo Diddley Tech cuz you know there won't be a game. The reason I stopped going to MIS, Bristol and Charlotte was because I knew the racing would suck and it did!

http://www.indystar.com/story/sport...-2016-brickyard-400-race-no-one-saw/87507680/

Interesting column for the Indianapolis Star.

The funny thing is that all the tracks are profitable due to the TV contract so no one will want to give up a date until that revenue goes away. In the meantime Nascar races on several tracks that either the current car doesn't perform well on, has taken all sorts of latitude away from crew chiefs to fix the problem or the tracks just are not very good themselves. Nascar is like the frog in the pan that was placed on a burner and the frog doesn't realize the temperature is rising and he will soon explode.
I don't have a clue how much they make off of the contract once expenses are taken into account but the way I see it, NASCAR gives that track a bad name. What's that worth?

Back
Top Bottom