Robby Gordon's double race day plans

97forever

Team Owner
By TOM GARDNER

The Associated Press

Look for an announcement next week from Robby Gordon about his fourth attempt at driving 1,100 miles in one day - 500 at Indianapolis and 600 at Lowe's Motor Speedway in North Carolina on May 30.
Gordon stopped short of confirming Friday that he'll go for the double, but promised to end his silence on Monday after his Indy team gives him the go-ahead.

Gordon, who drives the No. 31 Chevrolet for Richard Childress in the Nextel Cup series, completed 824 of the 1,100 miles last May after a gearbox problem relegated him to a 22nd-place finish at Indy. He started 42nd at Charlotte and worked his way up to 17th when rain ended the race.

He first tried the double in 1997, but the Indianapolis race was rained out and was run the following day. Indy was delayed by rain in 2000 and Gordon failed to start the race at Lowe's.

Only two drivers have tried the double - John Andretti in 1994 and Tony Stewart in 1999 and 2001, when he became the only driver to complete 1,100 miles.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Good luck to Robby! This has always struck me as impressive by these guys.

I really wish Tony would do the Double Day again. :(

Originally posted by 97forever@Mar 6 2004, 09:31 AM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:( :p )
Oh come out of Tony and Robby you know you like Tony more, admit it dear. :p

You know I used to be a big fan of Tony's ...before he bacame Jr's. biggest fan, that is. He would drive into the wall if he saw Jr. do the same thing, these days.

I think it would be neat if Robby did the double. I remember that time Tony did it and he got a cramp in his butt muscle and they had to give him a massage. I was ROTFLMBO! One of the most hilarious moments in racing.
2305.gif

Originally posted by 97forever@Mar 6 2004, 09:43 AM
Sorry babe...notice how Stewart fawns all over the guy at the plate races. GAG.
:rolleyes: Oh please!

Originally posted by Flamebow@Mar 6 2004, 10:01 AM
I think it would be neat if Robby did the double. I remember that time Tony did it and he got a cramp in his butt muscle and they had to give him a massage. I was ROTFLMBO! One of the most hilarious moments in racing.
2305.gif
I would have gladly massaged his butt for him..... ^_^

http://www.robbygordon.com/artman/publish/...rticle_84.shtml
HUNTERSVILLE, N.C. -- Robby Gordon will be an owner-driver in this May's 88th Indianapolis 500, racing a Chevrolet-powered Dallara chassis, with major support from traditional Indy team sponsor Meijer.

Gordon, who will be in his 10th Indianapolis 500, is the only driver currently planning to compete in both the Indy 500 on May 30 and in that evening's Coca-Cola 600 NASCAR event in Charlotte, in the Cingular Wireless Chevrolet Monte Carlo for Richard Childress Racing. This will be the fourth consecutive year that Gordon will attempt what has come to be known as the "Double."

The red-and-white Meijer Dallara-Chevy, and a backup, will carry No. 70 in celebration of Meijer stores' 70th year of business. The cars will be prepared at the Robby Gordon Motorsports headquarters in Huntersville, N.C., before setting-up shop in Indy's "Gasoline Alley" for the start of practice on May 9. Pole qualifying is May 15. Gordon also fields his own Fruit of the Loom Chevy in selected NASCAR Busch Series events, as well as a Chevrolet off-road racing truck.

Thomas Knapp will be Gordon's engineer. They worked together in the 1999 Indy 500, when Gordon came within two laps of winning, but ran out of fuel and finished a career-best fourth.

"Thanks to Meijer and Chevrolet, we've been able to put together a very solid program for the Indy 500," said Gordon, 35. "Robby Gordon Motorsports has the experience, people and facilities to put a competitive car on the track and now we also have the right group of sponsors and technical partners.

"As a racer, I love the challenge we'll face in May. Practice and qualifying at Indy, plus the NASCAR races at Richmond and Charlotte, will make for a very busy month but we know how to organize and coordinate all the details. I also want to thank Richard Childress and everyone at RCR for their help and for supporting me as I keep working to achieve all my career goals."

Meijer, which operates 158 stores in Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, Illinois and Kentucky, has been an Indy 500 sponsor for several years. Gordon has raced Chevrolets to all three of his career NASCAR Cup victories and also has been a Chevy driver in other series.

"I feel it's a compliment that Meijer chose to continue its Indy 500 sponsorship with my team and we're committed to doing a good job representing Meijer," said Gordon. "Chevrolet has been very important in my career and its success at Indy and in NASCAR is respected by fans everywhere. We've all seen how good the current Chevy Indy V-8 is and I have no doubt my Meijer Dallara will benefit from lots of Chevy power."

Gordon has five-career top-10 finishes in the Indy 500 and started third in both 2001 and 2003.

I wish Robby all the luck in the world, and will certainly be cheering for him. :D

Back
Top Bottom