Rockingham

B

Bisondad

Loved the Darlington race. Nascar needs more tracks like that. Anybody heard any rumors about Rockingham? Love to see that race some back again also. I see they have lost the NASCAR truck race now. Is the track even open?

Same story as it's been for a long, long time with that track. The fans don't support it. No fans, no race.

One of the few Nascar races I been to was at Rockingham in the early 2000s.. Fun time but I was too close to the track.

How do the fans not support it? The racing there was great

How do the fans not support it? The racing there was great
There's already a good number of races in the Carolinas, and the weather wasn't really great (especially for the February event). Getting a standalone Truck race isn't really a recipe for success now unless you're a novelty event like Mosport or Eldora.

There's already a good number of races in the Carolinas, and the weather wasn't really great (especially for the February event). Getting a standalone Truck race isn't really a recipe for success now unless you're a novelty event like Mosport or Eldora.
Since you brought up Eldora..... Only 100 more days!

I never took the time to make it to a Rockingham race when Cup raced there. Certainly wish that I would have. The Truck Series wasn't enough to justify for me to take the 100 mile round trip towing the 5er. Around 10 mpg @ $4.29/Gal? It will take more than Trucks to get me there.

I never took the time to make it to a Rockingham race when Cup raced there. Certainly wish that I would have. The Truck Series wasn't enough to justify for me to take the 100 mile round trip towing the 5er. Around 10 mpg @ $4.29/Gal? It will take more than Trucks to get me there.
But if you bring Bud Light they will come.:D

I watched Bill Elliott win his last race there in 2003 when I was 13, best experience ever.

I wish they would race there again, those cars nowadays would fly around that joint.

Eh the problem with Rockingham is that it's literally out in the middle of ****** nowhere. The nearest major city (Raleigh, NC) is almost 2 hours away. The town Rockingham doesn't have the logistic nor capability to handle a large NASCAR crowd. The racing may have been good, but unless you have good hotels, a good rescue squad (Fire, Police, etc), entertainment like bars, movie theaters, clubs, etc. Then the track isn't going to succeed.

They tried to revive it with the truck series but that pretty much ended in failure too.

I think its time to move on from wanting rockingham. Dont think its a salvageable cause anymore.

It was such a great track. They need to make a Rockingham clone in another area. Same track layout with better amenities, located in a market that can support it.

I really hope we've seen the last of the cookie cutter 1.5 mile tracks. Every track they add to the schedule in the future needs to be unique. Variety = success

Been to "The Rock" many times, Great track great racing, except when Kyle Petty Lapped the field. He was insane that day. I would say Speed Pagan is correct and thats sad for the racing. Unfortunately that's where we are with racing in the series now. The track alone ain't enough. Got to have all the goodies to go with it.

Back
Top Bottom