Rumor mill

Two things:

1.) He would be an idiot to leave behind Childers. Unless he comes with, but then it just gets messy with contracts, etc.
2.) Way too much is being made out of the manufacturer angle. I don't think these guys today care if they're driving a freakin Fiat so long as they're competitive. Harvick would be as capable in a Ford as he would be in a Nissan.

Tough call for Harvick. Stay in a Chevy and lose the best CC you have ever had or stay with your CC and run possibly sub-par equipment in the twilight years of your career.

upload_2016-5-17_7-39-58.png

Two things:

1.) He would be an idiot to leave behind Childers. Unless he comes with, but then it just gets messy with contracts, etc.
2.) Way too much is being made out of the manufacturer angle. I don't think these guys today care if they're driving a freakin Fiat so long as they're competitive. Harvick would be as capable in a Ford as he would be in a Nissan.

Have to agree here...I liken this to JJ and knaus.

I think the writings on the wall. I am hoping Hendrick brings back the 25 for Harvick though with Anheuser-Busch sponsoring. In all honesty can't see this happening. Johnson/Harvick have a rivalry and I think Harvick would rather unseat Hendrick with SHR than join them. HMS probably wants to get younger too when they replace KK

Last edited:
I just want to see a seat open up for Larson.

Kevin will win races no matter where he goes.
Yes to both of these. The kid has talent, he just needs to get in a consistent ride.
HMS would be way smarter to pony up their cash for Larson.
That would make the most sense. Why go after a guy that isn't going to have a lot of years left in the tank and will leave you looking for a driver sooner rather than later when you could potentially grab a really talented guy that may be racing for another 20 years.

I hope this is true. I'll have a really hard time rooting for a Ford driver.

I'm pretty sure Larson is locked up for a few years. Ganassi said he had a very long term contract.

Is Larson's contract up at the end of this season? Jayski simply says 2016+.
Hmm...not sure.

I think I remember hearing the whole idea of Larson to HMS this whole time centered around some sort of buyout but I could be wrong.

It would be a nice placeholder deal for HMS as they could get rid of the under performing Kahne and get 2-3 years from Yap Yap while getting a young driver ready.

SHR could potentially hit the skids as Kurt doesn't look bad but doesn't look like a race winner and Bowyer is a journeyman and the CC switch on the 10 team has not produced results yet. Who would drive the 4 car?

I used to be really sold on Larson thinking he needed a better ride but now I'm not so sure.

It would be a nice placeholder deal for HMS as they could get rid of the under performing Kahne and get 2-3 years from Yap Yap while getting a young driver ready.

SHR could potentially hit the skids as Kurt doesn't look bad but doesn't look like a race winner and Bowyer is a journeyman and the CC switch on the 10 team has not produced results yet. Who would drive the 4 car?
Maybe Tony will call up Newman? :D

SHR will be fine I think people forget how much money Ford is going to be throwing at them. Look at Penske, yes this year they are second fiddle to JGR, but everyone is. Busch is always fast, Bowyer is a contender just needs the equipment, Harvick it's obvious, oh and Danica is there too lol. Hopefully it's BS about the Hendrick deal personally I think we have way too many sponsors involved to make it all happen.

SHR will be fine I think people forget how much money Ford is going to be throwing at them. Look at Penske, yes this year they are second fiddle to JGR, but everyone is. Busch is always fast, Bowyer is a contender just needs the equipment, Harvick it's obvious, oh and Danica is there too lol. Hopefully it's BS about the Hendrick deal personally I think we have way too many sponsors involved to make it all happen.
Yeah, I think Harvick's best course of action would be to stay put. Even after cutting the Hendrick cord, SHR will be fine. Harvick can either stay with the 4 team, where he's been killing it that last three years, or go to the 5 team, which hasn't been a serious threat since Mark Martin's first year there.

Yeah, I think Harvick's best course of action would be to stay put. Even after cutting the Hendrick cord, SHR will be fine. Harvick can either stay with the 4 team, where he's been killing it that last three years, or go to the 5 team, which hasn't been a serious threat since Mark Martin's first year there.

I have to agree with this 100%.

2.) Way too much is being made out of the manufacturer angle. I don't think these guys today care if they're driving a freakin Fiat so long as they're competitive.

I don't agree. There is big money from the manufacturer in terms of PSA's, etc. Manufacturers like the perception of brand loyalty from the drivers--that's why they get a car from their manufacturer, etc. Kevin as a Chevy man is important to Chevy I am sure. Because he has seen the Bowtie on his checks for all of these years matters too IMO. Remember that Junior was emphatic that he would only drive a Chevy when he left DEI.

You have to remember a number of these drivers also have some sort of contract with the manufacturer. That was one of the reasons Stewart wanted to leave Gibbs when they switched to Toyota. I can see Harvick leaving SHR for that reason. Chevy will put up a lot of bucks to keep him in the fold.

Even after cutting the Hendrick cord, SHR will be fine

Man, I just don't agree. A Hendrick ride v. a Ford and a new relationships with SHR attempting to develop its own chassis? The problems with the 5 have been behind the wheel IMO. Kendrick needs to do it, and Harvick needs to do it. They will get Rodney to come. No problem.

You have to remember a number of these drivers also have some sort of contract with the manufacturer. That was one of the reasons Stewart wanted to leave Gibbs when they switched to Toyota. I can see Harvick leaving SHR for that reason. Chevy will put up a lot of bucks to keep him in the fold.

I agree. Kind of disappoints me that Tony bit on the Ford deal because I always had respect for his unwillingness to drive a Toyota. Money talks, but at some level, I have to believe that this makes Tony sick.

HMS would be way smarter to pony up their cash for Larson.

....and pass up a Champion who is driving better than he has at any time in his career? Larson has won 0 races. Three weeks ago he was a wash out. Now, he is already crowned?

Harvick would be dumb to leave SHR, it'd be like Steph Curry leaving the Warriors to play for the Grizzlies (I specifically mean the #5 car, not HMS as a whole.)

....and pass up a Champion who is driving better than he has at any time in his career? Larson has won 0 races. Three weeks ago he was a wash out. Now, he is already crowned?
Nobody is crowning Larson.

This is a world, and a sport that is centered around forward thinking. Why would you sign a guy at the end of his career for maybe 4-5 years when you could lock up one of it's youngest rising stars for 20? Not really sure how that's not a no-brainer.

HMS is at a crossroads. They need to start getting younger, not older. And unfortunately there aren't many names coming down the Hendrick pipeline at the moment. Jones, Suarez, Bubba, Bell, JHN, Custer, etc. They're all going elsewhere.

Man, I just don't agree. A Hendrick ride v. a Ford and a new relationships with SHR attempting to develop its own chassis? The problems with the 5 have been behind the wheel IMO. Kendrick needs to do it, and Harvick needs to do it. They will get Rodney to come. No problem.
I don't think Ford is gonna let those guys fail. It wouldn't reflect well on them for SHR to run great as a Chevy team but fall flat on their face as a Ford team. SHR will have plenty of resources at their disposal next year, I doubt they miss a beat.

I agree - if they can get Rodney to come then its a no brainer for Harvick.

I am not sure Rodney would want to go though - he has a real opportunity to advance himself if he can be apart of the SHR Ford transition and build them into one of the top teams in the garage.

I agree - if they can get Rodney to come then its a no brainer for Harvick.

I am not sure Rodney would want to go though - he has a real opportunity to advance himself if he can be apart of the SHR Ford transition and build them into one of the top teams in the garage.

Rodney is effectively the lynch-pin that makes or breaks this deal. He's under contract until at least 2018 (likely longer) and for quite a bit of money too. That would be one expensive buy-out for HMS, but without it Harvick likely won't budge.

Larson is too nice a guy to leave Gannassi, I bet he re signs. Signing Harvick is a no brainer for Hendrick. And if I'm Harvick I'm sick of leading all those laps but always giving wins away. Now some of those instances are his fault but a lot are due to the subpar pit crew. At HMS that will never be a problem. Hendrick will put all the resources behind Harvick to win a championship or two before he retires. Just like he did with Mark Martin in 2009. There's so many good young drivers Hendrick can poach whoever they want when one of Harvick, Jr,, or JJ retires

Ford just isn't that good a manufacturer. Penske is good because they have 2 of the 6 best drivers in the garage, but even then they are wildly inconsistent. Logano hasn't won since Talladega last season. That falls on the equipment. Brad has only won 1 race 2 of the past 4 years. And Tony Stewart mentored Kasey Kahne and Kahne brings sponsorship so a seat swap is a real possibility. Larson has potential but that's all he has at this point. The potential hasn't brought results. The pushing for him to get a top ride is more a fan thing then a media thing IMO. Why dump Kahne for his younger clone. Rick is smarter then that

Back
Top Bottom