Should more road courses be added to the Cup Series calendar?

Which road courses should be added to the Cup Series calendar?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

donthaveanickname

Team Owner
At the last road course races in the Sprint Cup and the Xfinity Seires at Sonoma, Watkins Glen and Mid-Ohio, we saw some really entertaining races.
After that, lots of member here posted, they would like more road course races being added to the Cup Series calendar and I think so too.
In my opinion, exept Daytona and Talladega no track really needs to held 2 races a year, so we would have some space in the calendar, that could be filled with road course races.

I wish they would add 2-3 more elminate Indy, 1 Pocono, 1 NH

I voted for Indy and Daytona. I regard those as the ones with the best chances of being added since doing so wouldn't take a race date away from any existing tracks. For that reason, it would have been good to have the Loudon road course as a survey option.

I also voted for Mid-Ohio. It has already demonstrated it can support a full NASCAR field. Road America is just too big, and Austin and Laguna Seca strike me as too technical for stock cars to be entertaining.

I enjoy road course races and have no use for Dega or the 400. I do realize that the France family owns them so no chance of them being deleted. Move the all star race to a different road course each year and hold it at different times.

There is no such thing as a all star race anyway, just another no points race.

I've never even heard of willow springs, and I don't like Sebring looks boring, and I don't think a track designed for F1 would put on a good nascar race, same as no one would like an f1 race at talladega

I've never even heard of willow springs, and I don't like Sebring looks boring, and I don't think a track designed for F1 would put on a good nascar race, same as no one would like an f1 race at talladega

Disagree. F1 at Talladega would be.....the coolest thing I've ever seen. They'd be going like 250 :D

The great thing about Forza 6 is you can take out cup cars on all of these but Willow Springs and Mid-Ohio.
Laguna Seca: Too narrow and would need to pave acres of run-off zones to work
Road America: Works fine but it's just a really long lap.
Sebring: probably too narrow in a few parts and still a long lap time
COTA: Long and technical but otherwise could work fine
Daytona: No issues
Indy: The course is fine for racing but a lot of the track is blocked from view by the pit road grandstands

Ideally you'd want something under 2.5 miles with quick lap times and good sightlines.

... Indy: The course is fine for racing but a lot of the track is blocked from view by the pit road grandstands

Ideally you'd want something under 2.5 miles with quick lap times and good sightlines.

I agree about the Indy sight lines, but that's a factor at most road courses so I wouldn't let that by itself rule Indy out. Besides, you can't see anything there on the oval either.

I wish they would add 2-3 more elminate Indy, 1 Pocono, 1 NH
Pocono should have been another survey option.

They have several existing R/C configurations in the infield. Using the infield would bring the action back closer to the stands. In fact, they have multiple R/C options and could run on a different layout from year to year!

Like Indy, Daytona, and New Hampshire, switching one of Pocono's existing weekends to the road course wouldn't cost them a race date. NASCAR could add three or four more R/Cs and not even have to change the schedule.

It would be wonderful if a magic wand could be waved and several dates could be eliminated and new short tracks and road courses added. My vote was for Mid-Ohio as I have been to the tracks many times and always enjoyed it especially for motorcycles.

I'd vote Mexico and Canada before any of the above courses.
You beat me to it. I'd like to see ~6 Cup races on road courses (but important to resist attempts to change the basic design architecture of the cars to create something tailored to roadracing).

Canada (prefer Montreal to Mosport) and Mexico City - This seems so obvious to me.

Road America - great natural terrain track. I get what guys are saying about the long lap, but it's not a problem on TV, and I'm sure the fans would fill the joint to capacity. The Road America crowd understands the lap time.

Daytona and Indy - Yeah, I think so. Lose the plate at Daytona. Put Indy in the Chase.

Extra Credit (not roadracing) at Talladega - Trade the plate for a "bus stop" chicane on the back stretch before turn 3. LOL.

Having worked at Willow Springs, I'll say that the racetrack and facilities, staff and location would not be ideal for a Cup or Xfinity race. Probably not even a truck race. They would have to sink too much money into it and I doubt the return would be anywhere close to worth it.

... Like Watkins Glen International and Circuit Gilles Villeneuve?
GV was built to the F1 standards of the late '70s; the Glen, the early 70s. CotA was built for F1 cars with an additional 30+ years of development.

I've seen the V8s and IMSA run there and I just didn't get much out of it. Maybe it just doesn't televise well, maybe I just didn't appreciate what I was seeing. I think a less technical track to be more entertaining. I anticipate stock cars would have to tip-toe through several sections of the track.

But hell, run a tire test and see how they do. It's not like Bruton is going to let it happen in his back yard anyway.

It really is embarrassing for NASCAR to not have a road course in the chase. If we want the best overall driver, at least one of those 10 races should be road.

I've seen the V8s and IMSA run there and I just didn't get much out of it. Maybe it just doesn't televise well, maybe I just didn't appreciate what I was seeing. I think a less technical track to be more entertaining. I anticipate stock cars would have to tip-toe through several sections of the track.
Word. Best thing I've ever seen there was a year or two ago when it started pouring suddenly in the WEC race. Not really that memorable otherwise.

Lots of great choices on the list. I don't have a preference other than having a road course in the Chase...it's time for that to happen.

And still hosts F1 racing :XXROFL:

XFINITY raced there for a few years and the races were great.
A 2016 car, F1 or NASCAR, shouldn't have any problem with a 1979 track like CJV. It's putting current stock cars on a road course designed relatively recently that doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

I definitely would like to see at least one more road course added and one needs to be in the Chase. I would wonder with a sprint cup car how well they would do at a place like Daytona going from the high banks to a infield road course though. I'd like to see one of the plate races, preferably Dega reduced to one race.

Without a doubt a road course needs to be added to the schedule. Ratings/attendance prove that.

I used to think one in the Chase would be a great idea. After watching the recent Xfinity race in the rain, it scares me to think that kind of show could be a Championship deciding race. If they made it a point to only run that race under the ideal conditions that all other races are run, then hell yeah, put one in the Chase.

I wouldn't want to see a road race added that were on a flat course, like Daytona. I also don't want to see one that would be on a road course with a track length like Road America. Yellows on that 4+ mile track are excruciating.

Back
Top Bottom