Silly Season 2015

Top two candidates for the #9 are David Ragan and Sam Hornish Jr. according to Lee Spencer.

I heard from a reputable source that Ambrose is taking the 5 next year. Kahne is apparently moving down to nationwide to drive for Jr Motorsports.

mRBJMrA.gif

Knock knock. Earth to RPM, both were massively failed experiments.

Sam should go back to IndyCar IMO.

I wouldn't go that far, Ragan has 2 Cup wins which would give him the same amount for his career as Ambrose and one more than Almirola.

I think the last year Ragan was with Roush he was ready to break out. Then when UPS left, it got pulled out from under him. He certainly did not perform for most of his tenure there, but at the same time he was young and kind of lost in the shuffle at Roush. Personally I'd like to see him in the 9 car, I believe he still has some untapped potential.

^ I understand, but as often he has finished behind Giland this season at Front Row. It casts a cloud of doubt over me and I like David. You might be right because at the end of the day nothing earned, nothing gained as of yet.

He's one of the better plate track racers as well. He always performed well at restrictor plate tracks. I wish him the best, but anything would be better than Front Row Racing.

Hornish deserves another chance in the cup series. He's one of the best nationwide regulars when he races and he got robbed of the nationwide title last season. I think he could do a decent job in the 9 car, maybe even steal a win at a road course or plate track

I was hoping Annett would get the better ride.

That'd be a good move, he's really underrated, and he was an RPM developmental driver. It wouldn't surprise me, nobody expected RPM to put Almirola in the 43 in 2012, so another under the radar move wouldn't surprise me

I think he would perform just as well in the car as anyone else except at the road courses. I don't see RPM raising their game but for their opereation, you want a stable driver that doesn't wreck race cars.

if they want a chance to win, they'd keep Marcos or go with Sam on the road courses.

Not sure how their deal is structured, but I think they've been with him since he first came to Nationwide.

I think it's a family memeber his Dad that owned Flying J/Pilot? Something like that, but he's pretty good. Guys like him, Casill, Allgaier, McDowell, Whittaker, and Wise.

They all deserve something better.

I think it's a family memeber his Dad that owned Flying J/Pilot? Something like that, but he's pretty good. Guys like him, Casill, Allgaier, McDowell, Whittaker, and Wise.

You mean Cole Whitt? Lol

I almost feel like they're a lost generation of drivers. They drove in the late 2000s Cup heavy Nationwide Series so they never really got a chance to shine.

Knock knock. Earth to RPM, both were massively failed experiments.

Sam should go back to IndyCar IMO.
I think either would outperform Almirola. RPM is lower second tier or upper third tier; they probably don't have many notable drivers willing to step in there.

Even if RPM is considering Hornish, he's said he wants to be in a winning car which is why he took a part-time JGR Nationwide ride over the crappy Cup offers he was getting. RPM would be a step up for David, so he may be more likely.

Last edited:
I almost feel like they're a lost generation of drivers. They drove in the late 2000s Cup heavy Nationwide Series so they never really got a chance to shine.

Yep, really sad to see. James buescher, Parker Kligerman, and others are already destined to join that list

I was hoping Annett would get the better ride.
I think he'll get one eventually. He's got the sponsorship which is the most important thing.

I wasn't really enthused by him taking over Blaney's ride this year but he's honestly impressed me more than all other rookies outside of Larson. I know TBR has a sort of tech alliance with RCR now but he still seems to be outperforming the car pretty often.

I think they either would outperform Almirola. RPM is lower second tier or upper third tier; they probably don't have many notable drivers willing to step in there.

Even if RPM is considering Hornish, he's said he wants to be in a winning car which is why he took a part-time JGR Nationwide ride over the crappy Cup offers he was getting. RPM would be a step up for David, so he may be more likely.

No way Hornish turns down the 9 ride. It's not a top tier team but at least they're competitive. As hard as rides are to come by these days that's sadly the best hell get. But certainly better then having no ride and he could steal a win somewhere

The problem is the Nationwide Series has turned into a Cup playground where the only competitive teams are the Cup backed ones. There are basically NO Nationwide only teams that can keep up. Broken series. It's led to a whole crop of talented kids being forgetten entirely.

Honestly the Cup series isn't a whole lot better. There aren't any competitive second tier teams. Thus, guys have to settle for RPM, Baldwin, Front Row, BK Racing. All total back markers.

As an outsider looking in would RPM be classed as a top tier team? They really don,t get above average results and I am not sure that it is all the drivers problems. Good teams make successful teams for me. I am sure that Ambrose is capable of running up front given the right equipment and circumstances. Will be interesting if he leaves and who takes over and how they perform.

I would say that RPM is mid-tier, they're usually mid-pack.

The problem is that the gap between good and almost there is SUBSTANTIALLY wider now than it was 15 years ago. 15 years ago, we had Gibbs, Yates, Hendrick, Penske and Roush as consistent contenders. The mid-tier teams were teams like BDR, Ganassi, DEI and to a lesser extent MB2 and Petree. We don't have a lot of diversity among front running teams anymore and that hurts the sport because it creates fewer instances for new guys to break in.

I would say RPM should be desirable to anyone driving for BK, Front Row or TBR. Between Ambrose and Almirola there's been instances where they have run up front and been in the mix, sprinkled in with a couple wins over the past few years.

Those other teams have at no point outside of a plate race, EVER run up front or contended for even top 5's. There should be a clear distinction between them IMO. I look at RPM as being just a step below Ganassi Racing. If they can upgrade their drivers, perhaps make a few improvements here and there; then we could be talking about a team capable of running up towards the front and possible getting a win or two each year while placing a driver in the Chase.

Richard Petty Motorsports committed to running 2 full-time cars in 2015

Aric Almirola this season qualified for the Chase for the Sprint Cup championship in RPM's No. 43 Ford. The team is looking for a driver and sponsor to take over the No. 9 Ford. RPM said it will continue its relationship with current manufacturer partner Ford Racing and continue its services contract with Roush Fenway Racing and Roush Yates Engines.

Twisted Tea Brewing Co. will continue its primary sponsorship of the No. 9 team in 2015 as the RPM marketing and new business team continues various discussions with several companies, the team said.

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2014/...rts-committed-to-running-2-full-time-cars-in/

IMO second tier teams would be RCR , Roush , Stewart Haas and MWR . Then the next tier would be Ganassi , Petty , etc . I know MWR is borderline down and Stewart Hass is borderline up , but realistically , that's where they fit right now.

It's amazing how much MWR has tanked since Richmond last year.

I'm not surprised. They lost one whole team, the respect of the fans, their longest running sponsor, and the guy that I considered their best driver all in one fell swoop. That much upheaval is enough to do serious damage to any team.

I'm not surprised. They lost one whole team, the respect of the fans, their longest running sponsor, and the guy that I considered their best driver all in one fell swoop. That much upheaval is enough to do serious damage to any team.

The loss of Rodney Childers was the biggest blow.

Back
Top Bottom