So I am a little confused.

Status
Not open for further replies.
No.

You can't have 3 bad races in an elimination round and continue... no matter how many times u won in the past 6 months... why is that so hard?

No, he means people who just got eliminated with wins by none winners.

Kyle Busch and Kenseth the past 3 races:

Busch
Kansas: 3rd
Charlotte: 5th
Talladega: 40th

Kenseth
Kansas: 13th
Charlotte: 19th
Talladega: 2nd

Still gets knocked out.

He also outraced Newman 2 out of 3.

BS format.

Yeah I was thinking about making a thread for that too lol

I've yet to decide if it will be a "Way To Go AJ" thread.. or a "WTF?!!?!?!!!!!!" thread

What do u think? :D

I think you've got enough on your plate in this very thread so leave it alone...for now. :D

No, he means people who just got eliminated with wins by none winners.

Kyle Busch and Kenseth the past 3 races:

Busch
Kansas: 3rd
Charlotte: 5th
Talladega: 40th

Kenseth
Kansas: 13th
Charlotte: 19th
Talladega: 2nd

Still gets knocked out.

He also outraced Newman 2 out of 3.

BS format.
Okay but by how much did he beat Newman in those? A 40th place finish would have had him down and out under any format.

They all got 4000 points, so either way uh guess what if Brad finishes ahead of them in the next race he'll be ahead of them, if not he'll be behind them. Even if he was seeded above them now that fact wouldn't change when the checkers fly for the next race.

Okay but by how much did he beat Newman in those? A 40th place finish would have had him down and out under any format.

I dont think that's quite right.

It only makes a big difference because of the 3 races. One bad race wouldn't have hurt Kyle so much that he would be completely out of it with teh other formats.

Do you guys enjoy hating everything?

I mean... dont watch the damn sport if u find the need to complain every damn week... but.. hmmm... wait a sec... racing is awesome! So watch the damn racing then
Let's see how much you still love this format if Denny decides that Homestead is a good place to get a little '13 Fontana payback.

They all got 4000 points, so either way uh guess what if Brad finishes ahead of them in the next race he'll be ahead of them, if not he'll be behind them. Even if he was seeded above them now that fact wouldn't change when the checkers fly for the next race.
That's why the seeding is BS in this format. The only advantage to getting more than one win in the first 26 is a handful of bonus points that you only get to use in the first round. In other sports, at least some kind of home field/arena advantage comes with being a higher seed. In football and baseball, the highest seeds don't even have to participate in the first round, they're automatically advanced to the second. The slate gets wiped entirely clean in NASCAR's "playoff".

That's why the seeding is BS in this format. The only advantage to getting more than one win in the first 26 is a handful of bonus points that you only get to use in the first round. In other sports, at least some kind of home field/arena advantage comes with being a higher seed. In football and baseball, the highest seeds don't even have to participate in the first round, they're automatically advanced to the second. The slate gets wiped entirely clean in NASCAR's "playoff".

Might be, but I mean at least a win gets you onto the next round. In Baseball you have to win muti games to go on to the next round, in football you have to win everything to move on, one lost and you're done. Nascar's seems more fair now and better right?

I dont think that's quite right.

It only makes a big difference because of the 3 races. One bad race wouldn't have hurt Kyle so much that he would be completely out of it with teh other formats.
Perhaps... but with this few races to go its not likely he would have a shot after a finish like that.

Let's see how much you still love this format if Denny decides that Homestead is a good place to get a little '13 Fontana payback.
I'd be pissed... but regardless I'm happy with this season. Everything I hoped Joey would accomplish this season he has and better. I really only expected 2 wins and to finish equal to or better than he did last season.

5 wins..1/3 of the chase races making up two of them, leading the points for 3 races in crunch time.. 15 top 5's.. only driver to ever get 5 top 5s to start the chase... coming to 3 tracks im very confident about... should I go on? Needless to say Im happy with my drivers' performance this year... and imo any driver who even makes the final 4 is championship worthy... for Joey, at 24 years old, to be considered one of if not the biggest threat to win the championship this season with 4 races left.. is great... it would be for anyone... and he's got another 20-25 years to look forward to... if Joey doesn't pull it off part of me even kind of hopes Jeff Gordon will win it just because he's old and retiring soon... and he's been one of the cars to beat. I know as well as anyone that whoever wins the cup will have earned it.... It's a shame some others on here dont feel the same way.

Like the really competed this year?

Here's some food for thought... the only drivers to have won in the chase so far are the same 4 drivers that have dominated the entire season.

2, 22, 24, and 4

... I'd bet everything I have that one of them will be our champion... and they deserve it. Everyone is all worried about Newman and Kenseth making the final 8... do you guys really think one of them will win it all? Come on. Not likely... but "what if" and "how about" will most likely still be the hot topic of the off season .. and thats bull**** :rolleyes:

the good thing about it is that it gives them a premeditated subject to cry about for the next three races it will be Kenseth and Newman..it changes every week for them if you notice..of course they have beat the waaa I hate the chase subject to death..but that is what they fall back on if all else fails. :biggrin:

We wouldn't have all this "what if" speculation if there hadn't been 5 different championship formats in the last 12 years.

Is it fair that the Kansas City Royals are in the World Series and the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim aren't?
Thats baseball. Stick n ball references dont work here. You of all people should know that. To answer the question - I dont know. I dont keep up with baseball at all. Bores me to tears.

Close, but no cigar.

In my opinion, if they're going to use this format, the advancing should be based on wins for the entire season. For instance, you start with the chase of 16 drivers....some don't have wins, such as Kenseth & Newman. The first 3 races of the chase would be their opportunity to catch up with the other chasers in wins. After the first 3 chase races, it should be the top 12 drivers in wins, with ties broken by points. And so on, with the top 8 in wins for the season advancing after the 6th chase race. That way you're not totally wiping away what drivers have accomplished in the first 26 races.

What's so confusing? I thought we all knew the rules back in February when the season started? It's not hard to figure out how it works. And I wouldn't say it is unfair to anyone. Every driver knew prior to strapping in at Daytona in February what the rules were this year.
Just because everyone knows the rules doesnt mean its a fair competition.

I wonder how much say the TV partners will have regarding the Chase format in 2015 and beyond? They must be a little discouraged by the poor ratings the Chase races have generated thus far: Kansas and Charlotte both lost around a half million viewers vs. the 2013 versions of those races. A couple more years of that, and I wonder if NBC will pressure Brian to come up with something different?

It would be funny if at Homestead all four contenders wrecked/had trouble and the guy who ended up winning was like 25th, two laps down instead of in the top five/win like they want.

Reactions: JEB
I wonder how much say the TV partners will have regarding the Chase format in 2015 and beyond? They must be a little discouraged by the poor ratings the Chase races have generated thus far: Kansas and Charlotte both lost around a half million viewers vs. the 2013 versions of those races. A couple more years of that, and I wonder if NBC will pressure Brian to come up with something different?
Yeah but the scary thing is that this is already his solution to the declining ratings from NASCAR's bubble.

wow took over a hundred posts to trot out the ratings sponsor wank. getting slow but you should get a couple more trolls with that.:biggrin:

wow took over a hundred posts to trot out the ratings sponsor wank. getting slow but you should get a couple more trolls with that.:biggrin:
Well it is kind of a big deal. I know you choose to ignore the TV stuff, but the TV guys are bringing most of the money to the party. Gotta keep them happy.

Well it is kind of a big deal. I know you choose to ignore the TV stuff, but the TV guys are bringing most of the money to the party. Gotta keep them happy.

NBC will certainly post ratings increases, at least with the races on NBC broadcast. And possibly with cable, considering EVERY sport that has moved to NBC has posted increases.

Glad you are looking out for them, maybe they will give you a discount on your bill.

NASCAR = the WWE of motorsports.
Debris cautions, chase format, and all the other crap...its just comical at this point. I still enjoy the hard side-by-side racing, but to try and stay focused on the "sport" for the long term and follow points is a waste.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom