So much fun

Spotter22

Team Owner
Watching a practice session like the old days, teams having enough time to make some changes without the worry of having to Qualify immediately after. 12 is looking sharpe on the lap times as is the 20. Im hoping we will see a mock q run before the session is over

Watching a practice session like the old days, teams having enough time to make some changes without the worry of having to Qualify immediately after. 12 is looking sharpe on the lap times as is the 20. Im hoping we will see a mock q run before the session is over
Bell Mocked at a 28 flat. Its so hard to tell what agenda they are on.

Need this back.

I know it saves money for the RTA, but it builds excitement for the fans. Who matters most? I miss the days of Friday practices then Saturday Qualifying. I know it costs a lot of money for an extra day of rooms and 2 sets of tires but isn't it worth it?
I miss Friday qualifying tbh.

Or Thursday night qualifying + ARCA at Charlotte.

And single car qualifying, 2 laps, no knockout, will always be more dramatic than this knockout ****.

I know it saves money for the RTA, but it builds excitement for the fans. Who matters most? I miss the days of Friday practices then Saturday Qualifying. I know it costs a lot of money for an extra day of rooms and 2 sets of tires but isn't it worth it?
You just can’t beat days of getting off work on Friday’s to get home and watch happy hour. Then a good trackside live show. The buildup to Sunday was intense

It is worth it. I feel like NASCAR has always tried to give the fans what they think they want instead of helping them to appreciate what they could have. We chopped everything down for the sake of money and waning attention spans. However, three day shows like this give so much to a fan. I spent the entire day in the garage--because the Phoenix garages are amazing--watching my heroes work on MY Rheem/DeWalt Camry TRD. I could have been there forever. That's Day 1. Day 2....Filled with hope of a big qualifying session for Bell. Day 3...Well, if you have to explain the excitement of race day to somebody....you should get them ballet tickets instead.

I find I don't care as much about P&Q since I'm no longer A) pulling for any one driver, and B) I'm not picking a fantasy team.

You just can’t beat days of getting off work on Friday’s to get home and watch happy hour. Then a good trackside live show. The buildup to Sunday was intense
Look at Daytona now.

One practice round, one night of qualifying, the Duels and then the race.

The buildup isn’t the same. Especially when there is very little coverage now. Once practice ends, it’s time for College Basketball on FS1.

Definitely worth it for the fans. Get there on Friday, leave on Monday. That's the way we always did it. Hot track everyday.

Some of you might remember this but its really old school, we used to be at the track on Thursday, practice all day then everyone would qualify on Friday and the top 20 would be locked in. On Saturday we would have round two of qualifying, anyone outside of the top 20 could qualify again and try to improve their spot ( from 21st and back) or you could just stand on your time. After that we would have "happy hour" which was a final practice for 1 hour.

I hate group qualifying.

Some of you might remember this but its really old school, we used to be at the track on Thursday, practice all day then everyone would qualify on Friday and the top 20 would be locked in. On Saturday we would have round two of qualifying, anyone outside of the top 20 could qualify again and try to improve their spot ( from 21st and back) or you could just stand on your time. After that we would have "happy hour" which was a final practice for 1 hour.

I remember that. Getting to watch qualifying was rare unless you had Speedvision. Sometimes ESPN2 had it.

I have fond memories of going to Homestead as a kid for the Busch races. We would get there on Thursday night, on track stuff all Friday and Saturday. Concerts at night, stuff going on at the campground, and a big race Sunday.

The buildup is seriously lacking now.

North Wilkesboro probably had the best show right now, having CARS Tour, Trucks, Pit Crew Challenge/Qualifying, the open and the big show. Los Angeles comes in at 2, especially with the Mexico Series joining the show.

One thing I love when I get to go to New Jersey is, you’ve got so much club racing and things like Mazda MX Cup. There is so much on track activity. Same thing when IndyCar and IMSA went to the Inner Harbor at Baltimore. Absolute show, especially with the paddock access and how personable IndyCar drivers are.

Look at Daytona now.

One practice round, one night of qualifying, the Duels and then the race.

The buildup isn’t the same. Especially when there is very little coverage now. Once practice ends, it’s time for College Basketball on FS1.
The old Twin 125 qualifiers had an old Indianapolis bump day feel. But the one thing I do not miss is the way the bigger teams could work together to help draft their most vulnerable teammate into the race and lock out a single car operation.

But still the same the pressure to race their way in made those races more meaningful because somebody was going home early on Thursday.

The build up was fun but I still like the current cost cutting advantages.
Especially if it will help to ensure that more race teams survive and more teams are better positioned to win.

I just think the extended practice sessions would drive some teams out of buisness and also be more rewarding to those who miss the set-up. I like the idea of giving less 2nd chances to bigger money.

I hate group qualifying.

I remember that. Getting to watch qualifying was rare unless you had Speedvision. Sometimes ESPN2 had it.

I have fond memories of going to Homestead as a kid for the Busch races. We would get there on Thursday night, on track stuff all Friday and Saturday. Concerts at night, stuff going on at the campground, and a big race Sunday.

The buildup is seriously lacking now.

North Wilkesboro probably had the best show right now, having CARS Tour, Trucks, Pit Crew Challenge/Qualifying, the open and the big show. Los Angeles comes in at 2, especially with the Mexico Series joining the show.

One thing I love when I get to go to New Jersey is, you’ve got so much club racing and things like Mazda MX Cup. There is so much on track activity. Same thing when IndyCar and IMSA went to the Inner Harbor at Baltimore. Absolute show, especially with the paddock access and how personable IndyCar drivers are.

@AndyMarquisLive , you wrote - "Los Angeles comes in at 2, especially with the Mexico Series joining the show." What you talkin bout Willis?

Great thread. The thing that makes the 3 day show so compelling is that for those of us watch every detail, you can see the momentum of a strong car build. TV may not want that....keeping it a crapshoot for the purpose of drama, but I love to watch a weekend come together. Thought that it was interesting that the two fastest cars on the qualified poorly while The Chain Gang crapped the bed. Blaney should have been a surprise to no one if you were watching closely.

Great thread. The thing that makes the 3 day show so compelling is that for those of us watch every detail, you can see the momentum of a strong car build. TV may not want that....keeping it a crapshoot for the purpose of drama, but I love to watch a weekend come together. Thought that it was interesting that the two fastest cars on the qualified poorly while The Chain Gang crapped the bed. Blaney should have been a surprise to no one if you were watching closely.

It's the RTA, not TV, that's forced these changes with practice.

Back
Top Bottom