So where is this plane?

They still haven't found flight #370. Only one explanation as to what happened. Aliens

Be about the only theory "news" outlets haven't reported on yet:D Kind of scary a plane carrying 239 people on board can vanish without a trace, especially with all the technology these days. Heart breaks for those families and hope they get some answers soon.

It's not the first time. happened 3-4 years ago.

Yes, the British Airways 447 crash. It took them 5 days to find it and years to recover it. Hopefully they can find the Malaysia flight soon so these families can get some closure. I'd have to think at this point the not knowing is probably worse then the reality, whatever that may be.

Apparently they have narrowed down the search area. The plane is believed to be somewhere in the red circle area.

BipLP45IMAApOnm.jpg

Unbelievable that they dont have a clue where this plane is, incompetence on a grand scale. No way anybody on that plane should be able to shut down the location signals

I find it concerning that the transponder was turned off before the crash. I think it was turned off like half an hour before the crash, which is why they're having a hard time finding it. ATC didn't have radar contact in the last few minutes, so....right now it's like trying to find a needle in a haystack in Seattle, the last time you saw the needle is in Chicago.

that plane is worth Billons. I am concerned that we have a hijacking, or a the plane version of a chop shop under way.

I have heard it said that lots of stolen cars in the US make their way to Arab nations.

It's at the bottom of the ocean.

Other than Amelia Earhart, I can't remember so much kerfuffle over an airplane.

Edit: not that I was alive when she disappeared but I read things :)

The satellite ping would not happen at the bottom of ocean

They are still looking for Amelia, I gave up hope 50 years ago :(

Where else could it be? It's not exactly easy to hide a 777 and disable a couple of hundred cell phones at the same time :)

Agreed, but the ping....its so confusing. A hi jacker could take all the people off the plane .....sell the plane???.....and then hold the people in confinement??? The transponder was actually switched off..

so many interesting things

Agreed, but the ping....its so confusing. A hi jacker could take all the people off the plane .....sell the plane???.....and then hold the people in confinement??? The transponder was actually switched off..

so many interesting things
But in the cellphone age we live in not 1 person could get out a call while this is happening?????

But in the cellphone age we live in not 1 person could get out a call while this is happening?????

I know! Cell phone blocker?

Why was transponder switched off? Can't imagine a pilot doing that....as well as the ping after the fact....

It's also entirely possible that officials involved in the investigation and search for the missing aircraft are withholding information.
If, in fact, terrorists were somehow responsible, why has nobody come forward to claim responsibility?

This case is one for the tin foil hats for sure

CNN is now speculating the lithium battery theory.
It's all speculation at this point.
what's that, that a passenger's battery shorted out or that a plane battery shorted out? It would have still been up running on generators though....they said that plane has 10 of them, not sure if that includes the emergency auto-deploy fan generator. Unless a fuse somewhere popped. Should have still been able to make a mayday call though. Don't planes still have mechanical/magnetic primitive navigation systems, or are the pilots literally in the dark on power/instrumentation loss? IF that were the case AND IF the pilots had no idea where they were, THEN I could see them trying to find a place to land, and getting lost over the water and running out of fuel at sea or something.

what's that, that a passenger's battery shorted out or that a plane battery shorted out? It would have still been up running on generators though....they said that plane has 10 of them, not sure if that includes the emergency auto-deploy fan generator. Unless a fuse somewhere popped. Should have still been able to make a mayday call though. Don't planes still have mechanical/magnetic primitive navigation systems, or are the pilots literally in the dark on power/instrumentation loss? IF that were the case AND IF the pilots had no idea where they were, THEN I could see them trying to find a place to land, and getting lost over the water and running out of fuel at sea or something.
The lithium batteries used to power the planes. They've had a history of overheating.
They're just guessing, I suppose :idunno:

I find it concerning that the transponder was turned off before the crash. I think it was turned off like half an hour before the crash, which is why they're having a hard time finding it. ATC didn't have radar contact in the last few minutes, so....right now it's like trying to find a needle in a haystack in Seattle, the last time you saw the needle is in Chicago.
Who said it crashed? Right now it is missing

I see a UN/FAA/NTSB/Interpol complete renovation of the system coming.

There are enough satellites around earth, enough military bases, enough radar stations of various types, with the power of Google and Bing, that finding the aircraft, or any aircraft for that matter, should not be terribly hard. We have weather radars, military radars, flight radars, climatology satellites, military satellites that can see your bald head from thousands of miles away, Google and Bing satellites that can 3-D map your house and at the least, let you see what's in your neighbor's back yard. We have air to ground and air to satellite to ground communications for aircraft data, internet in the air, soon cell service in the air. We have GPS satellites that can pinpoint your tiny smart phone to a 3 foot tolerance. We have all this technology, but we can't find a plane. We can't find a giant gleaming metal RF reflective cold-skinned plane with tens of radios onboard across different spectrums.

Where in the hell did things go wrong?

a friend replied to that paragraph on my facebook with an even longer statement.

Ashley M. KirchnerI have family members who work as air traffic controllers so my knowledge of how some of this works is quite unique compared to others. Having said that, yes, *WE* have all those technologies. *THEY* don't. Just because we can track a plane in our airspace does not mean that other countries can do the same. In fact, there is zero tracking on trans-Atlantic flights. Europe command knows when the plane leaves their airspace and US command knows when the plane is supposed to appear on radar, however there is no accurate means of knowing where the plane is. Case in point, when the attack on 9/11 happened, there were several trans-Atlantic flights that no one could communicate with verbally. All they could do was send a text message via satellite and hope it gets to the plane in time to direct it outside of our airspace. That takes a while, upwards of 20 minutes at times. A plane traveling at 600mph cruising speed will cover 200miles during that time.

From a technical standpoint, planes receive GPS signals, they don't transmit it. What they transmit is a location signal, often referred to as a squawk, which includes the plane flight ID and direction of flight. (You can actually pick this up with cheap hardware and freely available software online.) However, not only is that signal NOT constantly broadcasted, it also takes minutes to be received (which is why investigators are very careful in pinpointing where they lost signal - they simply don't know). The primary radar that tracks planes is ground based and not reliable over sea at all. The secondary radar relies on that squawk. Experts have already discovered that the two communications methods (the other being UHF/VHF) for the plans were shut off separately before completely disappearing. Since we don't track planes via satellite, there's no way of knowing (accurately) where it was. All they have is the last squawk. Even so, knowing what the flight plan was and where the plane SHOULD have been, versus where the squawk said it was, are two completely different things. There's no way to know if the squawk was even accurate (electronics have been known to fail.)

They are literally looking for a needle in a haystack here. Like the Air France flight out of Brazil two years ago, this too could take years to even find if it indeed went down in the water somewhere. Just because we have means of looking down on earth does not mean they were look at the right spot. DigiGlobe, which is based in my backyard, is using imagery from a few days after the disappearance, hoping to still catch either floating debris or rafts.

By the way, GPS isn't what finds your phone to that 3 ft radius, it's the cell towers that do that. Without those cell towers, the accuracy drops off very quickly. And those all-seeing satellites you're talking about? Again, a) they are stationary and looking at countries, not empty seas, and b) not all countries have that capability. You can't move a geostationary satellite from one spot to another.

Inside Edition (I wish they'd take that trash off of television) just suggested that everyone from Iran to Martha Stewart is possibly involved. (It's on in the other room and I'm too lazy to get up and change it.)

Inside Edition (I wish they'd take that trash off of television) just suggested that everyone from Iran to Martha Stewart is possibly involved. (It's on in the other room and I'm too lazy to get up and change it.)

They never should have taken the ankle bracelet off of Martha, they should have known she would get into more trouble

Back
Top Bottom