Someone stole the 44 Teams Hauler with the car inside.

Found.....

@Teamxtreme44 2h2 hours ago
@JoshuaHoyos just the car was dumped Lenora Rd Loganville, Ga

B-6_qJ5WsAAKH4l.jpg:large

Somebody called it earlier. A random grab in the hope of getting something they could sell, and dumping the car in a WTF moment.
They should be pissed. They would have probably gotten in the race sideways like Hornaday.

Team XTREME Racing
@Teamxtreme44

Team XTREME @johncohen44 @TravisKvapil @phoenixwarehouse Want to THANK all the people & media who put the word out, thanks for the prayers

@Nitro Dude is a hauler driver for dragsters. Maybe he can shed some light. Seems like a major mistake
This is why I always try to pick a hotel that has good lighting in the parking lot. It is not uncommon to have a back up car hauled in a rig like that to meet the main hauler somewhere in route. Most of the major parts like heads, blocks ,ect, has a specific number and the team name stamped on them. Most teams chassis has identifying numbers stamped on them, also.

They probably dumped the car because the heat was on them thanks to Social Media.

It's easier to sell a Ford Truck and an empty trailer than it is to sell a truck with a NASCAR car in the trailer.

wonder if it was stripped....

I was going to post that this would be a good time for NASCAR to bend a rule (or make a new one, as they are want to do) = let the 44 car run a few laps of practice on Saturday, maybe give them an hour to work on the car, then run a couple of qualifying laps. If they can top the last guy's speed (42nd, or whatever) then just add an additional car to the field. It's not like the track wouldn't facilitate an extra car...

But after reading about the qualifying fiasco on Friday - never mind... They have too much turmoil elsewhere to think about cutting a small team a break.

It sucks they can't race, but at least they have the car back. I think that is the most important thing.

I'll bet the sponsor is going to want their money back too.

Since it was in a small enclosed trailer that's plain white pulled by a Ford dually, I'd say the thieves didn't know what was in it. No one expects a NASCAR Cup car heading to the track to be in one of those these days.
They probably stole it for the truck and trailer.

Glad the team got the car back .

I was going to post that this would be a good time for NASCAR to bend a rule (or make a new one, as they are want to do) = let the 44 car run a few laps of practice on Saturday, maybe give them an hour to work on the car, then run a couple of qualifying laps. If they can top the last guy's speed (42nd, or whatever) then just add an additional car to the field. It's not like the track wouldn't facilitate an extra car...

But after reading about the qualifying fiasco on Friday - never mind... They have too much turmoil elsewhere to think about cutting a small team a break.

Nascar probably won't even give them back their $4k entry/tech fee.

They got more exposure from the media reports about the theft than they would've ever gotten from the race. This theft was the best thing that could've happened to them.

That is true but I don't know it would make any difference to them.

They'll probably just run that paint scheme for an extra race to make it up to the sponsor.

My buddy who is in law enforcement says that usually these thieves are after the tow vehicle and trailer. Anything in the trailer (if anything) is icing on the cake... if it's easily sellable. When they found a highly identifiable race car they probably realized it would be hard to sell it even as scrap without being caught, so they dumped it. They may dump other stuff in the trailer too.

I think I saw a news report that said that the truck was also found, with its ignition switch busted out of the steering column. If that was true then their big score was the trailer (it's relatively easy to alter the VIN of a trailer - if it even has one, and some states are pretty easy to register a trailer in because they're loose with paperwork and don't require seeing the actual trailer). If the truck hasn't been recovered then it has probably been chopped up by now.

My buddy who is in law enforcement says that usually these thieves are after the tow vehicle and trailer. Anything in the trailer (if anything) is icing on the cake... if it's easily sellable. When they found a highly identifiable race car they probably realized it would be hard to sell it even as scrap without being caught, so they dumped it. They may dump other stuff in the trailer too.

I think I saw a news report that said that the truck was also found, with its ignition switch busted out of the steering column. If that was true then their big score was the trailer (it's relatively easy to alter the VIN of a trailer - if it even has one, and some states are pretty easy to register a trailer in because they're loose with paperwork and don't require seeing the actual trailer). If the truck hasn't been recovered then it has probably been chopped up by now.
Or the truck is over seas....did you see that bit about the construction truck in isis hands

FWIW, We sabotage our own truck to prevent things like this.

Also, there's LOTS of trailer GPS systems out there that beam GPS over 4G.

Then there's a similar and sometimes cheaper method- Stick an android phone in the trailer, plugged in to DC power, with Lookout Mobile on it and logged into a google account. Between Lookout and https://maps.google.com/locationhistory/b/0 , You're pretty much covered. (No really, log into that page....)

Arrest warrant issued in theft of Team Xtreme’s NASCAR Sprint Cup car

An arrest warrant has been issued in the theft of Team Xtreme’s No. 44 NASCAR Sprint Cup car, which was stolen from a hotel parking lot Feb. 27.

Sgt. Larry Oglesby of the Morrow (Ga.) Police Department, told NASCAR Talk that the warrant was issued Friday. Oglesby said the warrant was for a person of interest in the case who declined to be interviewed by police. Oglesby said he’s talked to the person’s attorney.

from here

Somebody flipped a rock over and this worm crawled out:

http://www.nj.com/sports/index.ssf/...or_nj_nascar_owner_whos_rac.html#incart_river

"He obviously just pocketed the money," Santucci said in a phone interview. "We believe he used the money to fund his NASCAR team.

"It completely crushed me," he said. "It was my first $50,000 I've saved. I still haven't really recovered. It completely wiped me out."

Cohen, according to court documents, is also facing a lawsuit involving the purchase of a racecar from Swan Racing in 2014. The suit alleges that Cohen used "unfair and deceptive trade practices" and is seeking $200,000 in damages.

The latest in a long string of "entrepreneurs" fascinated by the racing game. God bless their black hearts.

So the guy basically had his car car-napped and the hauler stolen for the insurance money. Un freaking real

Back
Top Bottom