Southern 500 moves back to Labor Day Weekend

AndyMarquisLive

I love short track racing (Taylor's Version)
The Southern 500 at Darlington (SC) Raceway will return to its traditional Labor Day weekend date when NASCAR announces the 2015 Sprint Cup schedule, perhaps as early as this weekend. Atlanta Motor Speedway - which has raced on Labor Day weekend since 2009 - will have its lone Sprint Cup race weekend moved earlier in the season to week #2 - Sunday, March 1, 2015. One other notable change will be the Bristol (TN) spring weekend -- often plagued by weather issues in March, Bristol successfully lobbied for a later date, and will now hold its spring Cup race on Sunday, April 19, 2015.

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1s4lrj0

Good move.

The Bristol date is huge. Now I'll have to think about going back in the spring again.

Great news imo.
I should not complain so much but the Atlanta date is still too cold for early March.
Seems like Phoenix, Fontana, Vegas would be better early March dates.

I dont want any Martinsville changes, just stay like it is, I dont want Martinsville to loose it's Chase date. It is the best of the 10 tracks.
Moving it to late September or early October wouldn't cause them to lose a Chase date. The current dates are horrible. The last four races could have easily been snowed out. It's cold in March and October.

The average temp in late October @ Martinsville is about 70 degrees. That's perfect.

Martinsville is a good track, in the spring and the fall. The racing is great and the weather (other than the snow this year) is decent. Even got a free truck race this spring :):cheers:

Am I terrible at the reading thing, or does it not specify whether Darlington will be Saturday night or return to Sunday? This might be blasphemous, and I dunno what the weather would be like, but I wouldn't mind it staying under the lights.

Am I terrible at the reading thing, or does it not specify whether Darlington will be Saturday night or return to Sunday? This might be blasphemous, and I dunno what the weather would be like, but I wouldn't mind it staying under the lights.

I imagine it would be a Sunday night race.

Giddy Up !!
giddy-up-o.gif

A couple of things (that may reveal my temperature persuasions):

I would never attend a day race at Darlington on Labor Day weekend. South Carolina is incredibly hot during that weekend and I couldn't imagine sitting in the grandstands for that. I would hope that it's a night race.

Martinsville in October cannot possibly be too cold for ANYTHING, much less watching a race. Snow in October is incredibly rare even in northern climates.

Then again, I absolutely hate hot weather and like a nice, brisk fall day.

Awesome news. I think they should keep Atlanta at night and move it to the Bristol night race spot and then Move Bristol to the chase opener on a Saturday night

Southern 500 back on Labor Day weekend, now that's how it's supposed to be. Now all that needs to happen is RJ Reynolds taking back control of the series & we'll be all good...

Great moves Darlington and Bristol. Bad move for Atlanta. If Atlanta couldn't draw a crowd in mid-March, what makes them think they can draw a crowd in early March?

I'm happy about Darlington, too. I can't believe they actually made the change. Now I just hope it sells out so they leave it alone.

The Southern 500 at Darlington (SC) Raceway will return to its traditional Labor Day weekend date when NASCAR announces the 2015 Sprint Cup schedule, perhaps as early as this weekend. Atlanta Motor Speedway - which has raced on Labor Day weekend since 2009 - will have its lone Sprint Cup race weekend moved earlier in the season to week #2 - Sunday, March 1, 2015. One other notable change will be the Bristol (TN) spring weekend -- often plagued by weather issues in March, Bristol successfully lobbied for a later date, and will now hold its spring Cup race on Sunday, April 19, 2015.

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1s4lrj0

I actually like this post.

I am of the firm belief, it never should have left. Racing at it's finest IMO.

Back
Top Bottom