Statement from Shane Hmiel

majestyx

Administrator
Staff member
Posted on Fri, Sep. 19, 2003

ThatsRacin.com Report

I am deeply saddened by the circumstances that resulted in my suspension. I understand and expect there to be widespread criticism and conjecture.
NASCAR will be providing me with a plan that I need to follow to regain their confidence in me and regain the respect of my fellow competitors. I am beyond a doubt prepared to cooperate with NASCAR to meet the terms and conditions as set forth for my future reinstatement.

While I surely look forward to adhering to NASCAR’s program, which I fully support, I want to make it clear that I have never taken any substance that would interfere with my ability to drive a race car or place my fellow competitors at risk.

I would like to express my appreciation to my team owner George and Vicki deBidart, my team and sponsors. I expect to see my friends and acquaintances during my suspension and ask for their support in the most important endeavor of my young life.

It amazes me how clearly (and with what purpose) people will act after they get caught doing something like this. If they used that much effort staying out of trouble it would be much easier in the long run. ;)

If the truth be known Shane had nothing to do with this statement, his public relations manager wrote it for him. :angry:

Originally posted by Hurricane495@Sep 19 2003, 10:36 PM
We all make mistakes
This is a major deal and to blow it off with a simple "he made a mistake" isn't good enough.
Shane Hmiel made a choice which turned out to be a mistake, and a potential career ending one at that. It affects more people than himself.

Statement from Shane Hmiel: "............. I want to make it clear that I have never taken any substance that would interfere with my ability to drive a race car or place my fellow competitors at risk".
This is a cop out and worded evasively by a person trying to lessen the impact of this bad situation.

Whatever the logic of Shane Hmiel, the excuses offered in this statement are not substantive enough to over come the reality. It might be in Shane's best interest to fully understand his bad choice and face up to it in an effort to salvage some self-respect. This press release has the appearance of nothing more than a half-azzed excuse and in the real world that ain't enough.

Originally posted by majestyx@Sep 19 2003, 03:21 PM
Posted on Fri, Sep. 19, 2003

ThatsRacin.com Report

While I surely look forward to adhering to NASCAR’s program, which I fully support, I want to make it clear that I have never taken any substance that would interfere with my ability to drive a race car or place my fellow competitors at risk.

This is the part that I find to be total BS. If that were true, what are we talking about here then? Come clean or don't. But don't insult our intelligence. :bslfag:

I read somewhere that something like half the kids on drugs today are from the inner-city....guess the other half are from the burbs

Well let me play devil's advocate for a moment here.The kid has pulled a pretty big mountain out of what could have been a molehill.

Shane was wrong and a little silly to be doing this stuff in the first place,granted.However,I personally have lived most of my life in one glass house or the other and sure ain't about to stand in judgement over someone who most of us on here have socks older than.

IF we give Shane the credit of his statement that he has never endangered his fellow drivers(Which I believe)it puts a whole new twist on this thing.

IF Shane was clean while racing---and not endangering his fellow competitors anymore than his usual driving tactics do---then who exactly was the kid hurting?Himself?Yeah...and thats about it.
If this is enough to end a man's career at such a young age it is a damned shame IMO.

Maybe the 'mistake' wasn't so 'simple',maybe in his chosen career it was downright stupid,but just maybe it WAS just a mistake.I can't stand in judgement of a kid making a wrong choice.

Clean him up and let him have another chance.Hell,anybody deserves that.

Simply stated.....

I approve of zero tolerance by NASCAR.

I approve of second chances.

From that point on it is up to individuals and what they do. And only what they do counts.

I'd like to second 97 forevers post!

That is exactly how I feel about it! I've been down Shanes road myself. Busted 3 times DUI, the 3rd time I beat it & quit cold turkey!

I feel very lucky I never had an accident & killed or hurt anyone.

No one knows the what the report says, was it pot? Or was it some other substance. Pot stays in the system 30 days or more.

Anyway give the kid another chance. But he has to get with the program!

Back
Top Bottom