Talladega RACE thread

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...co-500-talladega-crash-matt-kenseth/83801196/

“I wish there wasn’t so much distance between the track and the wall (on the backstretch) because you gain such momentum at such a bad angle when you go there,” she said. “I’ve had the unfortunate scenario of hitting the inside wall at a superspeedway a few times now, and they’re all bad.”

Patrick said the fire inside the car caused her to be “probably the most scared” she has been in a race car.

“I haven’t had fire on the inside before,” she said. “It got to the glove a little bit. Honestly, I was thinking about my hair. I have a lot of hair, and I don’t want to lose it.

“That was the worst one (wreck) so far. I have decent bruises on my arm and foot. I hit a wall at 200. And my chest hurts when I breathe.”

:( Glad you are ok, D. Go get 'em at Kansas!

This is just a hunch...but this crash may have gotten Danica's attention. I don't mean it will take away her competitive desire - but seeing flames in the interior of the driver's compartment obviously was a big deal for her (it sure as H#LL would be for me)...plus she got banged up. She has made a bunch of money...if the top tens and wins don't look like they are on the horizon it may just be time to re-evaluate.

After last year especially I lost a lot of respect for Matt. Joey let him back in or risk a penalty. However for Matt it seems like that Joey is going to be his on stock excuse for a problem. Matt needs to understand that with the chase everybody is going to be pushing the limits, including him. If he can't take the pressure of the Chase format then get out of the car. His whine is getting real old real fast. It's not as if Matt is a saint anyway.

I really think wreck gate has jinxed matt and Joey this season. I had a feeling both would have an off year after arguably being the two best teams last year

• Talladega wrecks come at a price: The delicate line between sport and entertainment was dangerously straddled [at Talladega] by 40 drivers roaring along in a pack of cars at 200 mph. When the dust settled, 35 cars had been involved in at least one accident and two cars went airborne. When Kevin Harvick's car lifted off the track in a last-lap crash, it finally put an end to the chaos...we celebrate on Monday that no one was injured, and better yet, no one died in the carnage that was a typical Talladega race. But all that wrecking came at a price. The cost of damaged race cars on Sunday neared $10 million in losses across the grid, according to an informal survey Monday by The Associated Press of five top race teams. Within that series-wide estimate, some teams estimated they lost $500,000 per car - total loss situations - while others estimated $250,000 without including any engine damage.
    It's important to put Sunday's demolition derby in at least a little bit of perspective. Yes, the destruction was unusually high. But the threat of rain played a huge role in the multiple accidents. Normally, the aggression in plate races doesn't come until about 30 laps remain and many drivers spend most of the race riding around in the hope they can stay out of trouble to make a late run for the win. They couldn't wait Sunday because rain could have ended the race with no notice. It meant the pace was much faster from start to finish. Plate racing isn't going away anytime soon, though various measures could be taken to reduce the pack element - remove the restrictor-plates, slow the cars, knock down the banking at Daytona and Talladega - nothing should be eliminated from conversation as NASCAR tries to "fix" the issues plaguing the four events each year.(Associated Press)(5-3-2016)

Knock down the banking and you have another cookie cutter. We saw something that was fixed once and now is 'unfixed'... flying cars. Something has changed to make this happen. Nascar needs to figure it out.

Knock down the banking and you have another cookie cutter.
Disagree. Daytona and Talladega would have exceptionally high corner entry speeds and significantly longer straights that could be used to slingshot. Rather than Michigan, Talladega would actually be the fastest track on the circuit again.

This is just a hunch...but this crash may have gotten Danica's attention. I don't mean it will take away her competitive desire - but seeing flames in the interior of the driver's compartment obviously was a big deal for her (it sure as H#LL would be for me)...plus she got banged up. She has made a bunch of money...if the top tens and wins don't look like they are on the horizon it may just be time to re-evaluate.

I was kinda thinking the same thing. She's taken some nasty hits since coming to NASCAR, including two scary ones this year at Cali,and Dega. She's one tough arse for sure, so I doubt she will walk away until her contracts are fulfilled or an injury forces her to.

Back
Top Bottom