Terry Labonte

Tumbleweed

Team Owner
Contributor
He will be retiring after Dega, apparently this time for good. He is a class act (so is his brother Bobby) and as with Mark Martin before him, I will hate to see him go. There are a number of “punks” among NASCAR’s current drivers (and we all know who they are) who could take some lessons from both brothers in how to act like a real race car driver.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...te-calling-it-quits-after-talladega/17499599/

Well said Tumbleweed , they don't make them like the Labontes any more .

Both Labontes have always been a class act. Both former Cup champions and both represented the sport very well.
Yep.

I've said this before, but it bears repeating. When I was a little kid and only liked Fords, there were only two Chevy/GM guys that I could tolerate: Terry and Bobby Labonte. I was genuinely happy for both of them when I watched them win their championships in 1996 and 2000.

One of my childhood buddies was a big Bobby fan, and my guy DJ won it in 1999, and then his guy won it the next year. That was pretty cool.

Terry is the man. My second favorite driver of all-time. How sweet would it be to see him get a top-5 in his last race.

wc1984-8544piedmontchevy.jpg

terrylabonte.jpg

1993TerryLabonteMWB.jpg

TerryLabonteCar5.jpg

95BristolVictoryLane.jpg

Enterprise.Terry.Labonte.510.jpg

Terry.jpg

Terry-Labonte.jpg

Go FAS Racing forced to change #32 paint scheme: Retiring Sprint Cup driver Terry Labonte isn't into sentimental talk of his last race, and when he saw a tribute paint scheme with various colors to commemorate some of his past rides, he said it was cool but also quick to crack a joke. "If I had known they were going to do a paint job, I would have told them after (this was my last race)," Labonte said Friday with a laugh at Talladega Superspeedway. The Go FAS Racing team had hoped to surprise Labonte with the scheme Friday but then opted to tell him earlier in the week - because Labonte isn't a big fan of surprises. Among the tributes was a driver side that has red-and-yellow colors of his Kellogg's paint scheme (his 1996 championship), and a passenger side that is light blue to commemorate his Piedmont Airlines ride (his 1984 championship). Labonte apparently wasn't the only one surprised. NASCAR has a fairly long-standing rule that the cars must have the same colors on both the driver side and passenger side of the car. The rule is designed for safety reasons so drivers, spotters and NASCAR officials don't get confused. Various sponsors, wanting to promote two different products on a race car, have been denied permission to split the car side-to-side. Front and back can be different colors but side-to-side is a no-no and must be the same color.(Sporting News)(10-19-2014)

Go FAS Racing forced to change #32 paint scheme: Retiring Sprint Cup driver Terry Labonte isn't into sentimental talk of his last race, and when he saw a tribute paint scheme with various colors to commemorate some of his past rides, he said it was cool but also quick to crack a joke. "If I had known they were going to do a paint job, I would have told them after (this was my last race)," Labonte said Friday with a laugh at Talladega Superspeedway. The Go FAS Racing team had hoped to surprise Labonte with the scheme Friday but then opted to tell him earlier in the week - because Labonte isn't a big fan of surprises. Among the tributes was a driver side that has red-and-yellow colors of his Kellogg's paint scheme (his 1996 championship), and a passenger side that is light blue to commemorate his Piedmont Airlines ride (his 1984 championship). Labonte apparently wasn't the only one surprised. NASCAR has a fairly long-standing rule that the cars must have the same colors on both the driver side and passenger side of the car. The rule is designed for safety reasons so drivers, spotters and NASCAR officials don't get confused. Various sponsors, wanting to promote two different products on a race car, have been denied permission to split the car side-to-side. Front and back can be different colors but side-to-side is a no-no and must be the same color.(Sporting News)(10-19-2014)
Well that sucks, but I understand. Hopefully a diecast of the split #32 scheme will be available. I usually don't do diecast, but I think I'd buy that one.

1996 was the first season I really "followed" NASCAR growing up, watching all the races and stuff, so Texas Terry has a soft spot in my heart even though he was never my driver of choice. Hope he runs well today.

Well that's a bummer. How "long-standing" is that rule? Mike McLaughlin had a paint job like that back in the mid 90s...

$(KGrHqJHJFUFDyp0qUHYBQ9fUj6ri!~~60_35.JPG

34_mclaughlin_1995.jpg

What a colorful career & certainly a name that cant be overlooked when talking about NASCAR history. Peace out Terry.

Gonna miss ol' Texas Terry. He was the first driver I pulled for growing up. Been my lifetime favorite driver. Although it feels like he really retired in like 2004, gonna be sad to see him go. 2 time Winston Cup Champ and the classiest of class. Shame he got wrecked today wish he could've had a memorable last ride.

Could have done this 10 years ago but so long Terry...

Now that I think about it.. NASCAR is weird without a Labonte... Too bad Justin didn't pan out.

Back
Top Bottom