Testing Ban is Stupid

The best possible scenario would be Chase Elliott winning every X- series race that kybu is entered in next year. I would pay a lot of money to see that.

He is well funded. No excuses. Bring it. (Grabs crotch).

I'm looking at more along the line of after a hand full of races the multi-car teams will be able to compare notes where as the single car teams are screwed … maybe I am looking at this wrong but that is how I see it …
Are not all or most of the single car teams affiliated to one of the top 4 teams and would they not be privy to test results??

That's always been the case . Although there have been multi car teams in the past who refused to share info with each other , I think that's pretty much gone away.
It's a incestuous relationship today. So many satellite and affiliated teams it's like every team is kissing their cousin.....

I'm sure Goodyear has their own tire wear testing facility.
A tire testing machine is a big drum that rotates, the tire contacts the outside of it. The machine can apply loads to the tire simulating weight/down force, side loads/turning; all of the forces of a given track can be tested. But they need to test at the track because the track surface can't be simulated on a machine.

It's a incestuous relationship today. So many satellite and affiliated teams it's like every team is kissing their cousin.....

There certainly is a downside if you are the team being asked to part with your info , but an upside if you are off on your setup and need to find out why in a hurry . Guys like Rusty and Earnhardt Sr . were notoriously tight with the info. People like Rick Hendrick ,Joe Gibbs and Jack Roush , insist on sharing info within the company . Not sure if that extends to satellite teams , I doubt it . Big problem today is that differences are miniscule and a guy like Kasey Kahne can be a tick off (even with the info from three other teams) because his driving style may be a bit different . Crew chiefs show their worth ,not by using the notebook from another team , but by writing their own note book.

Can't the big name teams just run their own simulations or do secret wind tunnel testing in place of the on-track testing?

The big teams will still test at non-NASCAR sanctioned tracks.

What's the penalty?
A loss of 150 points, a minimum $150,000 fine, and a six-race suspension for the crew chief and other crew members.

To be quite honest, for that to be the harshest penalty you can hand out is actually pretty lightweight. I'd ban whatever organization does that - as a whole - from the Chase entirely. Points mean little to nothing in the regular season for championship contenders. Six races doesn't cover even a quarter of the regular season.

Sounds like it would be worth the risk if you win one of the first few races of the season. You would be guaranteed a spot in the Chase already and can use the test to get stronger for the remainder of the season. The penalties would mean nothing. Wouldn't be surprised if Hendrick, Stewart Hass, or Penske get caught testing somewhere. They have deep pockets.

Sounds like it would be worth the risk if you win one of the first few races of the season. You would be guaranteed a spot in the Chase already and can use the test to get stronger for the remainder of the season. The penalties would mean nothing. Wouldn't be surprised if Hendrick, Stewart Hass, or Penske get caught testing somewhere. They have deep pockets.

There is no element of risk . Getting caught would be a certainty . Too many track workers . Safety and medical people have to be on hand , plus you can hear the cars from 10 miles away , so the public and press would be curious .No way any team is violating that ban .

Computers old lady :p;)
No computer can replicate the actual track surface. Not unless each track has been scanned and a true surface built.
I'm sure the computers said the tire for Indy was fine, and I do believe the track surface had other ideas so we wound up
with the yellow flag every 10 laps fiasco.

OK, Chex. But the actual track surface is not replicated.
Show me the sea shells and sand in their treadmill that equates to Darlington.
FYI Not starting a sizing contest, geez.

Found some info on how they test Bridgestone MotoGP tires with computers,

"Bridgestone’s MotoGP tyres are designed using powerful computer systems and the vast amount of data collected from every race and test to calculate and simulate compounds and construction. Again, precision is absolutely essential to ensure safety and performance at over 300kph, and braking forces approaching 2G. Nothing is left to chance and once the blended material and the computer design have come together to produce a tyre, rigorous safety tests follow."

Another segment from page 712 from Science and Technology of Rubber

http://books.google.com/books?id=3D...onepage&q=computers race tire testing&f=false

Then finally for the sake of time, F1's extensive computer tire tests,

"The development of the 2013 P Zero and Cinturato ranges included thousands of computer simulations carried out by Pirelli’s engineers throughout the 2012 season, using sophisticated predictive software. These simulations, which were backed up by laboratory tests on the compounds, have been integrated with data collected during grands prix and the seven thousand so kilometres covered during five private tests with the Renault R30."

No computer system can test tires 100%, thats obvious. Field testing is always required. Just showing how advanced the computer systems are becoming at simulating tire wear and tear in racing. It's great.

I completely understand about the computer testing --- that's a given.
All I said was that no computer/treadmill can replicate the actual track surface.

The first test of the Testing Ban tomorrow. Wooohooo! Cars on track baby! The Coming of Carl starts tomorrow!

I completely understand about the computer testing --- that's a given.
All I said was that no computer/treadmill can replicate the actual track surface.
With 3D printers, a scanner, some RFID chips in the tires, and a hefty budget anything is possible in the future :cool:

$4.8 million. $4.8 million to the driver wining the 2014 Championship in NASCAR. Another $4.8 million to the owner wining the 2014 Championship in NASCAR. In SHR's case that totaled $9.6 million. Worth the risk for getting caught testing? I don't think so.

No computer can replicate the actual track surface. Not unless each track has been scanned and a true surface built.
I'm sure the computers said the tire for Indy was fine, and I do believe the track surface had other ideas so we wound up
with the yellow flag every 10 laps fiasco.

Pretty sure iRacing already scanned the track surfaces of every track on NASCAR Sprint Cup schedule. ;) :)

Pretty sure iRacing already scanned the track surfaces of every track on NASCAR Sprint Cup schedule. ;) :)

Well that's it then . Have them send that info to Goodyear and end of problem . It's like that Easy Button.:)

Well that's it then . Have them send that info to Goodyear and end of problem . It's like that Easy Button.:)

You laugh, but you'd be surprised by how much detail laser scanners can pick up on a track's surface. :)

OK, Chex. But the actual track surface is not replicated.
Show me the sea shells and sand in their treadmill that equates to Darlington.

Darlington is only 75 minutes or so from the seashore.

I have no idea how that relates to the subject. o_O
I'll take a shot.

She sells seashells by the seashore.
The shells she sells are surely seashells.
So if she sells shells on the seashore,
I'm sure she sells seashore shells.

She's shellfish :D
LMAO.gif

Back
Top Bottom